Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2223242526 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: This team won't have a chance at competing if we pay Flacco big money

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    What do you think they think? ;)
    Put it this way. I would have loved it if the Ravens could have drafted Kaepernick. The Redskins drafted RG3, but still drafted Kirk Cousins, because they thought he could play. It is sad that the Ravens are in this position because they never developed a contingency plan. But then again, Flacco is the only QB that Ozzie has ever drafted that was worth a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Ok then explain why other teams didn't sign away Smith when his last contract was up before he resigned with the 49ers if he was that good and Singletary was a clown.
    Because, kind of like you and others prattle on and on about how Flacco was held back by Cameron, Smith was also clearly held back by the system he played in before Jim Harbaugh got there. In fact, Smith's turnaround in SF may actually be a better supporting argument that Flacco can get better than the Brees argument so often put forward around here.

Putting together a football team and buying a car aren't exactly the same thing. For the Ravens to do this, they better believe that Alex Smith gives them a better chance to win at 60% of the cost over what they will need to pay Flacco. And if they honestly believe this, and are looking to waste the team's time on that experiment, I may have to rethink my PSL's. Thankfully I don't think Ozzie believes that.
    No, but running your life and running a football team are broadly similar. The choice of car you buy can be roughly analogous to choosing what QB to run your offense--they're both decisions influenced by a multitude of factors, and both seriously affect what you can and can't afford to do after you make that decision.

It's not that Smith by himself gives them a better chance to win--it's that Smith and the DE/OLB, LT, and whatever else you can buy with the saved money might give the Ravens a better chance to win.

NE hasn't won a SB since they backed the Brinks truck up to Brady's bank. Think that some of the cap dollars they've sent to Brady's coffers might have bought a bit better defense, and that those results might be different if they had?

iggyman555 Guest

who cares if we get smith, he'll prob end up in harbagae's doghouse anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Put it this way. I would have loved it if the Ravens could have drafted Kaepernick. The Redskins drafted RG3, but still drafted Kirk Cousins, because they thought he could play. It is sad that the Ravens are in this position because they never developed a contingency plan. But then again, Flacco is the only QB that Ozzie has ever drafted that was worth a damn.
    I agree with you, I was asking how you thought they would answer your question.

When they have trouble admitting Flacco isn't as good as Brady, I think we can predict how they would answer your question (i.e. not the same way you or I would answer it).

iggyman555 Guest

i was thinking what if we pay joe 100 million and in the contract we replace the dollar sign with a yen sign...

If Kaepernick were on the Ravens instead of Tyrod Taylor, I doubt that Flacco would be in line for a huge payday from the Ravens. He might even be is a similar boat as Alex Smith finds himself in.
    Kaepernick is on the 49ers BECAUSE of Alex Smith. If Joe Flacco = Alex Smith in the eyes of the organization, they would have drafted Kaepernick. Kind of the reason they drafted Flacco in the first place, because the current QB's on the roster were Kyle Boller and Troy Smith. You draft a QB early if you believe you need a better option there. Until we see otherwise, the Ravens have shown they don't believe they do at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    Because, kind of like you and others prattle on and on about how Flacco was held back by Cameron, Smith was also clearly held back by the system he played in before Jim Harbaugh got there. In fact, Smith's turnaround in SF may actually be a better supporting argument that Flacco can get better than the Brees argument so often put forward around here.
    Now hang on. There is being held back by the system he played in, and throwing ONE TOUCHDOWN in his rookie year. Flacco has gotten farther than, and has been better than Smith, even under the circumstances of the system.

No, but running your life and running a football team are broadly similar. The choice of car you buy can be roughly analogous to choosing what QB to run your offense--they're both decisions influenced by a multitude of factors, and both seriously affect what you can and can't afford to do after you make that decision.

It's not that Smith by himself gives them a better chance to win--it's that Smith and the DE/OLB, LT, and whatever else you can buy with the saved money might give the Ravens a better chance to win.
    However, you don't know that since Smith has not been as good as Flacco even with Flacco hamstrung by OL and coaching. So you are taking a step backwards thinking you might take a step forwards with a worse QB? I hope the FO doesn't think this way.

NE hasn't won a SB since they backed the Brinks truck up to Brady's bank. Think that some of the cap dollars they've sent to Brady's coffers might have bought a bit better defense, and that those results might be different if they had?
    So........what does that say about Tom Brady then? He can't carry the Patriots on his shoulders to a Super Bowl? ;)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    This is a pointless debate because Alex Smith will never be a Raven.

If were doing things that will never happen.. I would love to trade John for Jim. Jim is a technical and X and O's genius.
    I'd sign up for that. Can we get Peyton too

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

If Kaepernick were on the Ravens instead of Tyrod Taylor, I doubt that Flacco would be in line for a huge payday from the Ravens. He might even be is a similar boat as Alex Smith finds himself in.
    And if your mom were your uncle...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Kaepernick is on the 49ers BECAUSE of Alex Smith. If Joe Flacco = Alex Smith in the eyes of the organization, they would have drafted Kaepernick. Kind of the reason they drafted Flacco in the first place, because the current QB's on the roster were Kyle Boller and Troy Smith. You draft a QB early if you believe you need a better option there. Until we see otherwise, the Ravens have shown they don't believe they do at this point.
    The Ravens knew that Flacco's contract was coming up, and they knew Flacco would be asking for a ton of money. It would have been prudent to have a contingency plan in place. Flacco is not so good that the team should just ignore having a contingency plan. The Redskins drafted RG3 and Kirk Cousins. Brady still has at least 3 years left, but the Patriots drafted Ryan Mallet. The Ravens are sold on Flacco, but only at their price, not at Flacco's price. If Flacco doesn't lower his asking price, the Ravens will move on from him, as they should.

Blog Entries

This has really grown into a pointless debate, mainly because there is such a divide in opinion about how good Flacco is or how good he can become, there is no doubt some denial about how good he is or how good he can become (some like to think he's as good as Brady being held back by a backwards system, which is denial IMO) but others think he's below average and shouldn't be the Ravens QB (which is also nonsense), me? I'm right in the middle of it and can accept Flacco for what he is, Matt Shaubb with a stronger arm but not as much IQ, with more upside, and a slight chance at emerging as a top 5 QB, but probably very unlikely to ever reach that status.

elite game manager is pretty much what Flacco is IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    This has really grown into a pointless debate, mainly because there is such a divide in opinion about how good Flacco is or how good he can become, there is no doubt some denial about how good he is or how good he can become (some like to think he's as good as Brady being held back by a backwards system, which is denial IMO) but others think he's below average and shouldn't be the Ravens QB (which is also nonsense), me? I'm right in the middle of it and can accept Flacco for what he is, Matt Shaubb with a stronger arm but not as much IQ, with more upside, and a slight chance at emerging as a top 5 QB, but probably very unlikely to ever reach that status.

elite game manager is pretty much what Flacco is IMO.
    Great post.

So how much do you give JOe?