Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Bobby Rainey named NFC offensive player of the week

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Yes he could.
    He could run behind it, he just couldn't get past it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Then what are you saying now, exactly?
    Read the thread, Sir. I really don't have the mental energy of going into 5 pages of breaking it down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    ... In Miami he had 44 yds the week before and didn't play the week before that...
    To be fair, he only had 8 carries (5.6 yd avg), and a TD (the game winner) in the Fins game...plus an 11 yd reception in his only pass target. That's a lot of production for being the secondary RB... Bc

Blog Entries

Re: Bobby Rainey - In retrospect, a mistake?

I was surprised and disappointed when Rainey was cut. I thought he did enough to be worthy of the 3rd RB spot. The fact that he was cut so late means the coaching staff thought highly of him, but not enough to keep on the 53 man. Apparently the Browns felt the same way... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    He could run behind it, he just couldn't get past it.
    Yes he could.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

While right now I think we can look back and say it was a mistake, I understood the move when it happened, but I didn't like it. Running back didn't seem to be a position of need, and the surplus of safeties we had were better all-around special teams players than Rainey and that's why he's no longer on the roster. His only ST value is as a returner, and that wasn't enough to keep him on the roster since we had two pretty good backs ahead of him and a Pro Bowl returner. In hindsight, it would have been best to keep him for depth, but I don't think that the Ravens sign Scott or Draughn if Ray and Pierce don't have nagging injuries early in the year.

Ray Rice is in the twilight of his career as a top-flight NFL RB. Pierce is an injury waiting to happen. Going into the season with 2 RBs on the roster and 5 safeties was a serious mistake in roster construction that came back to bite the Ravens almost immediately.

Keeping Rainey was the correct move for both the present and the future; he would have been good depth this year and an upgrade over Draughn or Scott. In the future, he could have been at worst a change of pace/3rd down back behind Pierce once Rice is cut.

I don't think there's an argument that cutting Rainey was the right choice--and that has nothing to do with hindsight. The decision was wrong when it was made.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Really? Then why haven't they done it already?
    Umm ...are you really asking why they haven't drafted a back yet in the 2014 draft?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Yes he could.
    Well, there goes that joke...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Ray Rice is in the twilight of his career as a top-flight NFL RB. Pierce is an injury waiting to happen. Going into the season with 2 RBs on the roster and 5 safeties was a serious mistake in roster construction that came back to bite the Ravens almost immediately.

Keeping Rainey was the correct move for both the present and the future; he would have been good depth this year and an upgrade over Draughn or Scott. In the future, he could have been at worst a change of pace/3rd down back behind Pierce once Rice is cut.

I don't think there's an argument that cutting Rainey was the right choice--and that has nothing to do with hindsight. The decision was wrong when it was made.
    Yet another neglecting of the offense.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

The problem arises when things make sense and they also don't make sense.

Cutting Gary Stills made sense roster wise but didn't make sense for the special teams hit.

We moved Prescott Burgess one year to make room.

Rainey was great insurance for Rice and returns so didn't make sense to cut him.... needed roster space but didn't make sense then either for Brynden Trawick to be the reason.
    I, like a lot of us here hated seeing him grabbed elsewhere. Then when Rice got dinged and Trawick dinged Jacoby it was just a ton more fuel on the fire.
    Now that he has gotten an award... the only way I will come to full support of the FO is Trawick gets a similar award, or pro bowl..... otherwise I'll wait for someone down the road (after the season or in a year or two or in memoirs...) to admit it turned out to be a bad decision.....
    We sure did expect he would slide to PS, I want to give the FO benefit of the doubt that they figured that way also but I'll never know until someone asks DeCosta next offseason
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Here's some perspective: Rainey was a 4th stringer who ran against the NFL's 26th ranked defense that's going through this season with it's tail between it's legs don't be so quick to anoint him as the next big RB.