Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Could Sunday be more epic than Cal's 2131?

2131 was special. Cal's lap around the field is something I'll never forget, but I think Ray's departure is going to be even more epic due to the impact it will have on an important game.

As much of an event as it was. The date for 2131 was known well in advance and planned so there was little chance a rainout would spoil it as a road game. From 3 years prior it was known with a higher degree of certainty that he would break the record than the Aaron was a sure thing to make it to 715. Both were terrific accomplishments, yet they were anticlimactic in a way.

Sunday is going to have an element of spontenaeity and crowd involvement that will be unique.

Specifically, Ray Lewis will be the conductor for that crowd all Sunday afternoon. When he raises his arms for noise, there will be noise like you have never heard before at M&T. If you are there and the Ravens win, it won't be the dance, nor probably any other activity planned that you'll remember best, it will be those key moments in the game where Ray lifted his arms on 3rd and 4, you screamed at the top of your lungs, and Luck seemed pressured into a turnover, sack, penalty, or simply a failed conversion. You'll remember that Ray Lewis made that happen, and you were there to contribute in some way.

The only Orioles moment which truly made me get teary was the closing of Memorial Stadium and the former Orioles taking the field at their positions 1 last time.

One more thing...which meant more to you in Baltimore sports history:

--Eddie Murray or FRobby's 500th home run
    --Johnny Unitas' last TD pass

For a lot of reasons, if you chose the latter I think you'll say this is the greatest individual moment in Baltimore Sports history.
    Last edited by Filmstudy; 01-04-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    2131 was special. Cal's lap around the field is something I'll never forget, but I think Ray's departure is going to be even more epic due to the impact it will have on an important game.

Specifically, Ray Lewis will be the conductor for that crowd all Sunday afternoon. When he raises his arms for noise, there will be noise like you have never heard before at M&T. If you are there and the Ravens win, it won't be the dance, nor probably any other activity planned that you'll remember best, it will be those key moments in the game where Ray lifted his arms on 3rd and 4, you screamed at the top of your lungs, and Luck seemed either pressured into a turnover, sack, penalty, or simply a failed conversion. You'll remember that Ray Lewis made that happen, and you were there to contribute in some way.
    I swear I'm so pumped up I could fight right now. Sunday can't come soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Maybe if Ray returns an INT in OT for the winning TD...wouldn't that be something.
    While certainly that would be exciting to say the least, I'd just assume pass on having to endure that type of drama in This game.
    Not sure my heart could withstand the strain that type of game would put on it.

Sunday is going to have an element of spontenaeity and crowd involvement that will be unique.

Specifically, Ray Lewis will be the conductor for that crowd all Sunday afternoon. When he raises his arms for noise, there will be noise like you have never heard before at M&T. If you are there and the Ravens win, it won't be the dance, nor probably any other activity planned that you'll remember best, it will be those key moments in the game where Ray lifted his arms on 3rd and 4, you screamed at the top of your lungs, and Luck seemed either pressured into a turnover, sack, penalty, or simply a failed conversion. You'll remember that Ray Lewis made that happen, and you were there to contribute in some way.
    Boy, that's deep right there Filmstudy.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Blog Entries
    In my mind, Ray is 10,000 times bigger than Cal.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

As much of an event as it was. The date for 2131 was known well in advance and planned so there was little chance a rainout would spoil it as a road game. From 3 years prior it was known with a higher degree of certainty that he would break the record than the Aaron was a sure thing to make it to 715. Both were terrific accomplishments, yet they were anticlimactic in a way.

Specifically, Ray Lewis will be the conductor for that crowd all Sunday afternoon. When he raises his arms for noise, there will be noise like you have never heard before at M&T. If you are there and the Ravens win, it won't be the dance, nor probably any other activity planned that you'll remember best, it will be those key moments in the game where Ray lifted his arms on 3rd and 4, you screamed at the top of your lungs, and Luck seemed pressured into a turnover, sack, penalty, or simply a failed conversion. You'll remember that Ray Lewis made that happen, and you were there to contribute in some way.

The only Orioles moment which truly made me get teary was the closing of Memorial Stadium and the former Orioles taking the field at their positions 1 last time.

One more thing...which meant more to you in Baltimore sports history:

--Eddie Murray or FRobby's 500th home run
    --Johnny Unitas' last TD pass

For a lot of reasons, if you chose the latter I think you'll say this is the greatest individual moment in Baltimore Sports history.
    It gives me chills just thinking about how this game is going to be. There is no doubt that the atmosphere will be electric on Sunday at the bank. Man I can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one cares about baseball anymore. Sorry folks! NFL is king and the heart and soul of the entire CONCEPT of defense is playing his last home game.

I expect madness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    No one cares about baseball anymore. Sorry folks! NFL is king and the heart and soul of the entire CONCEPT of defense is playing his last home game.

I expect madness.
    I agree and I spent a lot of my life playing baseball. Nobody cares about baseball anymore. No way the o's repeat what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I agree and I spent a lot of my life playing baseball. Nobody cares about baseball anymore. No way the o's repeat what they did.

I realize this is a football message board and I don't argue that football is king, but to say nobody cares about baseball is silly. Peter Angelos has ruined baseball in this town, but what Buck Showalter just did last season was incredible and Baltimore was jumping for the Orioles down the stretch. If the Orioles put a consistant quality product on the field, Camden Yards would fill up again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    If the Orioles put a consistant quality product on the field, Camden Yards would fill up again.
    Not gonna happen. Last year was a miracle year. They won so many close games and had a lights out bullpen. Ill eat my words if it does happen but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Not gonna happen. Last year was a miracle year. They won so many close games and had a lights out bullpen. Ill eat my words if it does happen but I doubt it.

And you see everyone else making moves but the O's. Glad they kept Davis.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post

I expect madness.

Baltimore always was and always will be a football town. Even when the O's won those world series the Colts were still
    the kings in this town and the Ravens are now.

My personal view...

I more appreciate the team achievements and not so much individual ones. So while Ripken's consecutive game streak and Ray's retirement are certainly "special" moments, to me they don't equate to those "special" team moments: Os winning the WS, the first home Ravens playoff game, winning the SB, etc.

"Equate" and "compare" are the wrong words....not saying team moments are better...just that they are different occasions. Having a hard time putting my thoughts into words.....

So seeing Ray dance out of the tunnel one last time will be special, no doubt. The fact that is is combined with a playoff game is certainly good theatre.

I suspect, for me at least, how "epic" the day becomes is going to be determined by what happens in the next 60 minutes.