Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Mike Evans vs. Sammy Watkins vs. Kelvin Benjamin

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Kelvin Benjamin is the most interesting wild card prospect to me. I think he's going to shoot up draft boards as we get closer to the draft. He's on Scout Inc. at 25 now. He fits that 'beast' description that most people seem obsessed with, 6'5, 235 and a huge wingspan. Haven't seen or read enough about him to comment on his speed. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him. I can't see him staying in school because of his age. I would say he might follow a Demaryious Thomas arc, raw but full of talent.
    This is what I feel about him too. Regarding his speed, it's legit; probably at least mid 4.4. Enough to guarantee being selected in the first round if he declares. When you are that big, that fast, and finish a season like he is (9 TDs in 5 games) you will be selected in the first round.

Blog Entries

Count me in on the Benjamin train. His leaping ability looks ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Ted Gin Jr was listed at 6' 195lbs at Ohio State. He measured in at barely 5'11" and about 185-190lbs.

Colleges are the biggest culprits for juking a player's physical attributes WAY up.

Michael Crabtree is another great example. Texas Tech had him listed at 6'3" and 215lbs or so. He measured in at barely over 6'1".

Watkins is a great player, but odds are Clemson is being a little generous regarding his size. I wouldn't be surprised if Watkins actually measures in at 5'11" and in the 190's.
    DeAndre Hopkins was listed 6'1", 205 by Clemson and measured 6'1", 214 at the combine. That's by FAR the most relevant example.

FWIW, a picture from some Blitnekoff festivities:

WRs.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    DeAndre Hopkins was listed 6'1", 205 by Clemson and measured 6'1", 214 at the combine. That's by FAR the most relevant example.

FWIW, a picture from some Blitnekoff festivities:

WRs.jpg
    Fair enough.

Listen man, I know you're a huge Clemson can and I think Sammy Watkins is bad ass. I'd love to see him in black-n-purp. Don't take my comments as I'm not a fan.

I REALLY wanted Nuk last year. I think he'd be a perfect compliment in this offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Fair enough.

Listen man, I know you're a huge Clemson can and I think Sammy Watkins is bad ass. I'd love to see him in black-n-purp. Don't take my comments as I'm not a fan.

I REALLY wanted Nuk last year. I think he'd be a perfect compliment in this offense.
    Tapatalk
    No offense taken, and I wasn't trying to come off as defensive or confrontational. Just a difference of opinion on a comparable. Trust me when I say that there's little chance the guy weighs in at under 200 (and very unlikely he's under 6'0") short of coming down with mono or losing a limb. Sammy's jacked. And I try not to let my bias enter my evaluation of Clemson guys. If Martavis Bryant enters the draft, for example, I wouldn't want the Ravens to touch him before round 7. He's got insane measurables, but he's an incredibly unnatural receiver with suspect hands and coachability issues. The only likely draft entrant from Clemson that I'd condone the Ravens drafting would be Vic Beasley, and only if he falls.

I really don't expect Watkins to get anywhere close to the Ravens, so there's no getting my hopes up. I'll just be pissed if we don't go WR early. There's about 6-7 guys in the 1st two rounds that could have a huge impact on the offense.

I don't see 4.4 speed with Benjamin at all...I'd be stunned if he runs that fast.

I think he is a high 4.5, low 4.6 guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I'd take Watkins over Evans every time, just my two cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Agreed. Give me pro-ready route running, quickness, and football IQ over height-weight-speed any day of the week. The vast majority of receivers that bust are guys who have great measurables but lack NFL type technique and experience. I don't really think Evans is going to bust, but the possibility is way higher. Watkins is already an NFL caliber route runner and wide receiver. Evans on the other hand is a huge, fast guy that can jump and catch the football well. One guy is a receiver and the other guy is an athlete, albeit a very good one.

If I'm an NFL scout I'm also pretty concerned about Evans in TAMU's offense. Basically they run 100% "sandlot spread" football with virtually no pro route tree or play concepts. Sometimes guys like that (Demaryius Thomas) work out, but sometimes they don't (Stephen Hill.) IMO I just don't want to take the risk, so give me a pro-style guy instead any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Same here.

He is a terrific all around receiver and the best in this draft by a significant margin IMHO.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Agreed. Give me pro-ready route running, quickness, and football IQ over height-weight-speed any day of the week. The vast majority of receivers that bust are guys who have great measurables but lack NFL type technique and experience. I don't really think Evans is going to bust, but the possibility is way higher. Watkins is already an NFL caliber route runner and wide receiver. Evans on the other hand is a huge, fast guy that can jump and catch the football well. One guy is a receiver and the other guy is an athlete, albeit a very good one.

If I'm an NFL scout I'm also pretty concerned about Evans in TAMU's offense. Basically they run 100% "sandlot spread" football with virtually no pro route tree or play concepts. Sometimes guys like that (Demaryius Thomas) work out, but sometimes they don't (Stephen Hill.) IMO I just don't want to take the risk, so give me a pro-style guy instead any day of the week.
    I agree with your statement that big guys bust more , but I still think we should go after one of the height, weight, speed guys. While they do bust more and worse than receivers like Watkins the difference in potential makes up for that. We need a big time difference maker that is a legit upgrade over the guys we got. While Watkins would be an upgrade over who we have I think the difference in play would more than likely not be huge like if you had a beast receiver. Just ask the Titans who they would have rather picked two years back. Kendall Wright or Alshon Jeffrey? One guy will probably give you on average a 1,000 yards and 5 TDs over his career while the other guy will get 1,300 and 10 TDs. Yes, they are more prone to bust like with Brian Quick and Jonathan Baldwin, but sometimes you have got to take a chance on a guy like Jeffrey early. The Ravens I don't believe have ever done that. Clayton was not that type of guy. Actually, I'm not sure because I was quite young when he was drafted, but wasn't Clayton similar to Watkins as a prospect?

The Ravens have gone relatively conservative with their top pick since 2009 except for 2011 with Jimmy Smith. Jimmy Smith was a risk, but he is turning into a big time playmaker. The Ravens "conseravtive" picks haven't really worked out lately. Oher has been underwhelming. Kindle, who could be called a risk or conservative (I will call a risk because he fell so far) is not in the league. Upshaw will be a part time run defender most likely his whole career and the jury is still out on Elam. The Ravens should take a risk and go for a guy that can be the next Jeffrey or Gordon. Just my POV.

I don't think Evans or Benjamin has more potential than Watkins at all.

I think some of you are really underestimating Watkins...

Quote Originally Posted by landshark52 View Post
    I agree with your statement that big guys bust more , but I still think we should go after one of the height, weight, speed guys. While they do bust more and worse than receivers like Watkins the difference in potential makes up for that. We need a big time difference maker that is a legit upgrade over the guys we got. While Watkins would be an upgrade over who we have I think the difference in play would more than likely not be huge like if you had a beast receiver. Just ask the Titans who they would have rather picked two years back. Kendall Wright or Alshon Jeffrey? One guy will probably give you on average a 1,000 yards and 5 TDs over his career while the other guy will get 1,300 and 10 TDs. Yes, they are more prone to bust like with Brian Quick and Jonathan Baldwin, but sometimes you have got to take a chance on a guy like Jeffrey early. The Ravens I don't believe have ever done that. Clayton was not that type of guy. Actually, I'm not sure because I was quite young when he was drafted, but wasn't Clayton similar to Watkins as a prospect?

The Ravens have gone relatively conservative with their top pick since 2009 except for 2011 with Jimmy Smith. Jimmy Smith was a risk, but he is turning into a big time playmaker. The Ravens "conseravtive" picks haven't really worked out lately. Oher has been underwhelming. Kindle, who could be called a risk or conservative (I will call a risk because he fell so far) is not in the league. Upshaw will be a part time run defender most likely his whole career and the jury is still out on Elam. The Ravens should take a risk and go for a guy that can be the next Jeffrey or Gordon. Just my POV.
    Clayton and Wright aren't close to Watkins as prospects. I'm not sure why you keep comparing him to sub-6' players. He's bigger in both height and weight.

He's a big time difference maker. I'm not sure why you don't think he is. Totally elite WR prospect.

Want to know the list of players that were AP 1st team All-Americans as true freshmen?

Adrian Peterson
    Marshall Faulk
    Herschel Walker
    Sammy Watkins