Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Edward Snowden

Blog Entries

Re: Edward Snowden

All I am going to say is the dude was 29...making over $200k per year....and living in Hawaii. Yea.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The laws that allowed this snooping to occur we're lawfully passed by the people.
    I don't care, there are unlawful laws. Taking my movements, internet postings, internet browsing, internet purchasing history, and calls and tracking them is not legal. I don't care that they didn't listen or whatever, just knowing I called somebody or went to some website is illegal search and seizure in my book.

Consider this, from these items the government can know my personal preferences along with my political position and philosophy. Given what the IRS has done with LESS knowledge I do not trust the government. They don't need my phone or internet history until they have a warrant in hand because of probable cause.

You may not care about the government snooping into your comings and goings but I do. I DO NOT TRUST THEM! Nobody should.

You guys sound like the "if you don't have something to hide you shouldn't have to worry" crowd.

The Patriot Act should have never been passed. It is incredibly intrusive.

Listen, if you can't profile guys in turbans at the airport you certainly don't have the right to know who I have called or what websites I go to.

Blog Entries

OBY used to have a snitch site - the only president to have one-lol. Nixon had his
    plumbers and OBY has his snitchers.

I'm surprised Galen and the other libbies here didn't send my OBY posts there. Then again,
    maybe they did.

:grbac:

Here it is but the prez was mainly interested in people like Matt Drudge and guys
    like him.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/40304
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 07-02-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    You guys sound like the "if you don't have something to hide you shouldn't have to worry" crowd.
    you can kind of put me in that category. I dont like that theyre doing/did it, but i understand why they did/are. In the name of security it worked and i dont feel i do have anything to hide, so if that helps them protect all of us, ill can deal with it. Im sure theres other ways to go about intelligence collection but it was effective and as long as they dont listen/pull the info without a sufficient warrant i dont see how them having it is any different than not. Its not possible to pull past information unless you have it, so in fighting crime and terror you need to weigh which is more important. the people at the time said less privacy was. I get the feeling the majority feel differently now, until another attack happens because of poor intelligence and then the cycle repeats.

one of the worst things to pass and it was done in the shadow of fear. people dont always make the best decisions in those instances and i think the support it got was a direct result of that. Not to mention the other reasons for it not passing as law makers threw in a bunch of shit that had little to do with security just because they knew it was going to pass.

EDIT: On Snowden, I think it was BS. I agree the people needed to be made aware so we can readdress it, but how he went about it was just about the worst way somebody could.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 07-03-2013 at 07:21 AM.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I don't care, there are unlawful laws. Taking my movements, internet postings, internet browsing, internet purchasing history, and calls and tracking them is not legal. I don't care that they didn't listen or whatever, just knowing I called somebody or went to some website is illegal search and seizure in my book.

Consider this, from these items the government can know my personal preferences along with my political position and philosophy. Given what the IRS has done with LESS knowledge I do not trust the government. They don't need my phone or internet history until they have a warrant in hand because of probable cause.

You may not care about the government snooping into your comings and goings but I do. I DO NOT TRUST THEM! Nobody should.

Listen, if you can't profile guys in turbans at the airport you certainly don't have the right to know who I have called or what websites I go to.
    Agree 100%. I was just pointing out that the programs were lawfully passed.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    you can kind of put me in that category. I dont like that theyre doing/did it, but i understand why they did/are. In the name of security it worked and i dont feel i do have anything to hide, so if that helps them protect all of us, ill can deal with it. Im sure theres other ways to go about intelligence collection but it was effective and as long as they dont listen/pull the info without a sufficient warrant i dont see how them having it is any different than not. Its not possible to pull past information unless you have it, so in fighting crime and terror you need to weigh which is more important. the people at the time said less privacy was. I get the feeling the majority feel differently now, until another attack happens because of poor intelligence and then the cycle repeats.

one of the worst things to pass and it was done in the shadow of fear. people dont always make the best decisions in those instances and i think the support it got was a direct result of that. Not to mention the other reasons for it not passing as law makers threw in a bunch of shit that had little to do with security just because they knew it was going to pass.

EDIT: On Snowden, I think it was BS. I agree the people needed to be made allows are so we can readdress it, but how he went about it was just about the worst way somebody could.
    Jab, I can't help but notice how contradictory your first and second paragraphs are.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

You could put me in that category too. What do I care of somoene somewhere that I'll likely never meet scans some emails to make sure I'm not plotting something.

However, just because I am okay with it doesn't mean that should allow the Government to do it to Greg who isn't okay with it.

Which is kinda they way our Goverment was setup. We are a constitutional republic where the indiviual's rights are protected from the majority and not a democracy where the majority rules . So Greg's individual rights to privacy should be protected against what the majority feels is okay.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Jab, I can't help but notice how contradictory your first and second paragraphs are.
    I dont like it but understand its reasoning for our security. I dont like a lot about the Patriot Act, so not wanting it passed in the first place isnt just relevant to this instance.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    You could put me in that category too. What do I care of somoene somewhere that I'll likely never meet scans some emails to make sure I'm not plotting something.

However, just because I am okay with it doesn't mean that should allow the Government to do it to Greg who isn't okay with it.

Which is kinda they way our Goverment was setup. We are a constitutional republic where the indiviual's rights are protected from the majority and not a democracy where the majority rules . So Greg's individual rights to privacy should be protected against what the majority feels is okay.
    Like removing your name from the phone book?

Not sure how that would work if you could elect out of it. if it would even be worth while for the rest, assuming criminals and terrorists would elect out.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post

The constitutional right to privacy is one that is very much debated. Strict constitutionists maintain that the constitution never explically states a right to privacy. It's along the same line of thought with gun rights. The constitution grants every citizen the right to bear arms. So any law restricting that right is unconstitutional. Yet the SCOTUS has made several rulings that infer the right to privacy, without it being stated in the constitution.

IMO we've never had privacy in this country. Just the illusion of it. Remember all the wiretappings and searches conducted by Hoover. The advancement of technology has made it harder to maintain that illusion.

How do you find 3 black grains of sand on a beach. You sift the sand. Not the best metaphor, I know.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Like removing your name from the phone book?

Not sure how that would work if you could elect out of it. if it would even be worth while for the rest, assuming criminals and terrorists would elect out.
    The phone book isn't printed by the Government. You voluntarily get a phone line put in your house, provided by a private company, and there are ways to opt out of a phone listing.