Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Here it come: The Proverbial "What If"??

So, what if we lose the Super Bowl (which I don't think we will)? What do you think the ramifications will be in this city, team, sports radio? We all know that the refs and serious injuries can determine the outcome of games like this with such magnitude. I hate even thinking like this more or less type it out here..However, I have to think like this so I won't get so angry if it does happen....I hate losing anything and I feel the same as if I am a Ravens' player when losing or winning...I cannot even fathom losing

And to let you know how I feel, I got this feeling that Ray's coming....

Re: Here it come: The Proverbial "What If"??

Depends on how we lose, really... if it's another 2011 AFC Championship game type deal, the loss could set us back years. I know I'd probably be salty for a month or two, I wouldn't want anything to do with football.

If we lose this game, with the offseason issues of resigning guys and losing guys, we probably will miss the playoffs altogether in 2013, just based on history of similar situations. We'll still have Flacco, but the Super Bowl hangover (which affects most losing teams) combined with losing a few key players would be a difficult mental and physical challenge for any team to overcome.

That's why we need to win this game, besides the more obvious reasons. You don't show up to this game just to play, that's a loser mentality, you come here to get showered in confetti as you pass the trophy around on the podium. Second place, may as well get eliminated like Indy, Denver or NE.

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    Depends on how we lose, really... if it's another 2011 AFC Championship game type deal, the loss could set us back years.
    Like the 2011 loss did?
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

I am very worried about 2013, so I want us to win that Lombardi NOW. The odds are heavily stacked against us winning the Super Bowl next year, so we gotta get it this season. With all the cap issues we are apparently going to have next year, with losing Ray, and possibly Kruger, and Reed, and maybe Boldin and Jacoby, and hey will we even be keeping McKinnie, and if we can't who do we replace him with? We saw first hand this year how much we need a solid player at left tackle. I'm scared that we will be a shell of our usual selves next year. It won't be easy. Not to mention the history of the league, no quarterback has EVER won a playoff game in 6 consecutive seasons, so if we have success in the playoffs next year it will be a league history defining occurrence for Flacco and this team, and it just doesn't seem like the odds are lining up for that to be likely unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Like the 2011 loss did?
    You're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say losing the AFC Champ. game set us back years. I'm saying, with our cap situation and guys wanting to get paid (things that come from getting to the Super Bowl), we're not going to be as competitive this year. That is just the way it is. We're going to be losing Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, it'll take this team a season to figure out who its leaders are without them. It's do or die right now. A title will hold the fanbase over for a few years to become competitive again.

So we've made the playoffs for 5 straight years. Never failed to advance at least one round five straight years. Went to 3 AFC Championships in 5 years. BACK TO BACK AFC Championships this and last year. And now, all of the sudden, despite the fact that we've gotten better and younger on offense, and are only definitely losing 1 starter on Defense, but effectively getting Suggs back after he was a shell of himself all year, with Ed Reed saying publicly that he wants to stay a Raven.... Now after all that, this is the window closing?

Bull.

This team is in control of the division with no real challenger for the crown emerging from the combined slop of Ohio and the cap-hell to end all cap-hell in Pitt. The idea that we could suddenly stop being competitive is simply too ludicrous to entertain.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

So we've made the playoffs for 5 straight years. Never failed to advance at least one round five straight years. Went to 3 AFC Championships in 5 years. BACK TO BACK AFC Championships this and last year. And now, all of the sudden, despite the fact that we've gotten better and younger on offense, and are only definitely losing 1 starter on Defense, but effectively getting Suggs back after he was a shell of himself all year, with Ed Reed saying publicly that he wants to stay a Raven.... Now after all that, this is the window closing?

Bull.

This team is in control of the division with no real challenger for the crown emerging from the combined slop of Ohio and the cap-hell to end all cap-hell in Pitt. The idea that we could suddenly stop being competitive is simply too ludicrous to entertain.
    You're not taking into considerationg the cap implications of the offseason. Fact is, Joe Flacco is going to get paid. A lot of money. Lets see who will be gone from this team and I'm sure I'll be missing people:

Bryant McKinnie
    Mark Birk
    Ed Reed
    Ray Lewis
    Dannell Ellerbe
    Paul Kruger
    Carey Williams

No one has ever see what a Ravens team without Ray Lewis there will be like. I'm hoping we can remain competitive, but I wouldn't be surprised if we had a down year/

Bull.

Bingo. This team is very good and going to get younger and faster. I have no reason to believe this will be the Harbaugh era's only appearance, and hell, I would even go as far as to say this won't be the last Super Harbowl either.

A loss would suck, but we should be happy as fans that the Ravens got here. It's not like we are the Bills and don't have a title, we do have one. I want to win badly, but a loss won't be devastating.

You're not taking into considerationg the cap implications of the offseason. Fact is, Joe Flacco is going to get paid. A lot of money. Lets see who will be gone from this team and I'm sure I'll be missing people:

Bryant McKinnie
    Mark Birk
    Ed Reed
    Ray Lewis
    Dannell Ellerbe
    Paul Kruger
    Carey Williams
    You have to be shitting me. You honestly believe we're not going to resign a single free agent?

Good Lord man, we're tight against the cap, not fucking over it.

You have to be shitting me. You honestly believe we're not going to resign a single free agent?

Good Lord man, we're tight against the cap, not fucking over it.
    Birk/Lewis will retire. Someone will overpay for Ed Reed. We cannot afford Kruger/Ellerbe/Williams. We might be able to retain McKinnie, who knows. I don't think any of that is far fetched. Especially since you have no idea what Flacco's contract is going to be like.

Especially since you have no idea what Flacco's contract is going to be like.
    It's gonna be 5 to 7 years, 16-20 a year. His cap hit will be at or around the 14 million dollar franchise mark.

We don't have "no idea" we have a general idea, and even with the tag, we'll still be able to keep a couple of those guys, especially Ellerbe.

As for the idea that Reed will be overpaid for.... Ray thought the same thing in 09. How'd that work out for him again?