Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Is Trace McSorley a legit backup qb?

Quote Originally Posted by BillickFan View Post
    Callahan can make some throws! If RG3 is out for a while....we could do worse (and have!) than Callahan.
    I loved it when Callahan came out and on his first pass and dropped a dime to Wesley. I wasn't expecting that.

I will say our second and third stringers keep make these preseason games a lot more interesting than ones I've witnessed in the past. Does anyone remember Billick Era 2nd/3rd string offenses? OMG, they were truly awful.

With that said, anytime you lose a starter for a season in a meaningless preseason game, that trumps most of the good. Losing Young sucks.

He’s right where he should be for a 6th round rookie. Usually it’s a sign of a lost season if you have to rely on a back up for more than a game or a relief spell. I don’t think he particularly does any one thing too well, but he has a broad skill set and isn’t particularly worse than most back ups. I think he’s a project worth developing and could grow into an acceptable back up over time.

You guys are awfully hard on McSorley. He looks less loss than LJ looked at this time last year. His stat line last night was similar to LJ. If LJ goes down the season is toast. RGIII is not going to be some savior. Dude was on the street for a year. He is mental mentor for LJ and that is about it. If he has to start the Ravens are toast. He won't be able to run the offense they do with LJ. If LJ were down for a couple of games they could attempt to do with McSorley what they did with LJ last year and go heavy read option for a few games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Continuity Steve View Post
    He’s right where he should be for a 6th round rookie. Usually it’s a sign of a lost season if you have to rely on a back up for more than a game or a relief spell. I don’t think he particularly does any one thing too well, but he has a broad skill set and isn’t particularly worse than most back ups. I think he’s a project worth developing and could grow into an acceptable back up over time.
    Steve, I agree and think we will see him on the Practice Squad... Bc

Might be a blessing now to get him on the practice squad. RGIII should be ready to go for September and allows us to keep one of those DBs. Worst case Callahan is our practice squad QB and called up if necessary (hopefully not, knock on wood).

No. As expected. Only psu fans were ever high on him

I’m no PSU fan. That being said:

McSorely is coming in to play the most difficult mentally challenging position in the game. He was a 6th round pick. He’s just a prospect right now. Asking him to be more than that is insane IMO. Let the kid grow, it’s why we have RG3. Maybe someday. Or maybe he just flames out. But right now, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    He looks fine to me. He's made some nice throws and he's made some bad ones. He looks exactly how I would expect a 6th round rookie to look, and frankly a lot better than I expected him to. As NJ said I can see where he could develop into a solid backup to Lamar. In a perfect world the NFL would have some sort of redshirt deal where we could hold a guy like McSorley for a year without him counting to our 53 and without him being exposed to other teams. Unfortunately, we don't, so they'll have to make a difficult decision one way or the other in a couple weeks. I do think he's showing enough to where he would get picked up by someone if he is released.
    Pretty much agree with all of this. I think McSorley has done fine when you take his draft position and associated expectations into account. RG3 getting hurt was good for him as a QB, IMO, in that he has seen increased reps in both practices and the preseason games. Reps are invaluable to a young, developing QB. I hope he makes the team as the 3rd QB this year, and I could see him being the 2nd stringer for 2020.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

I think with a mobile qb scheme it makes sense to keep 3 QBs on the roster. They will keep Griffin and McSorely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata_Ate_My_Lunch View Post
    I think with a mobile qb scheme it makes sense to keep 3 QBs on the roster. They will keep Griffin and McSorely.
    Agreed. One of my primary concerns with this offense is keeping Jackson healthy. Running QBs, historically get hurt.

Honestly..........................

I wouldn't keep him on the 53.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Honestly..........................

I wouldn't keep him on the 53.
    I'd be fine with the PS if he wouldn't provide a Taysom Hill-like benefit. Hate to see another team snatch him, though.