Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What happen to the short passing game?

Unfortunately, Cam's desire to throw the chunk passes as much as they run Ray Rice is rubbing off on Joe in a bad way. Joe is getting way too greedy with the deep ball. He should have run that damn ball instead of throwing it to Torrey in the 4Q. You know that is Cam's evil influence.

Cam truly has snowed the whole offensive squad to believe that if you have man to man coverage, you should be able to beat it every time with a deep ball 9 route. No creative play design at all.... just break out the sticks in the dirt, and tell the guy to go deep. If it fails, it was POOR EXECUTION. If the Ravens miraculously get a new OC with Joe still at the helm, its going to take that guy a little time to get Joe to... a little thanks to Yoda....UNLEARN WHAT HE HAS LEARNED
    Last edited by ravensnhokies; 12-03-2012 at 01:32 AM.

What happened to the"Patriots" style quick hitting, up tempo offense that we heard about all Spring and Summer? I've got no problem going down field, but that seemed like our only play.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    What happened to the"Patriots" style quick hitting, up tempo offense that we heard about all Spring and Summer? I've got no problem going down field, but that seemed like our only play.
    The offense seems to have gone back to their plodding ways.

Blog Entries

That's Cam. Play doesn't work? Keep running it over and over again. I love taking deep shots, but you have to set them up.

They only ONE single play out of the no-huddle yesterday. Obviously they don't NEED to go no-huddle to use the short passing game, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, when Flacco is calling the plays and controlling the offense, it's like a veil is lifted and the entire field and route tree are in play. When Cam Cameron calls the plays it's sideline routes, bombs to Torrey, and dumpoffs to Pitta or Rice--nothing else.

I don't have a problem with the Ravens going deep down the field as often as they did. That was my complaint in the last game. Not using the middle of the field. They had favorable matchups. They just didn't execute. Flacco and his receivers were just out of sync the entire game. They tried to force some passes down the field. Yet again when Ray Rice doesn't touch the ball often enough bad things happen.

My sense is the Ravens coaching staff is content to run a low-risk offense that does not put up many points but will probably avoid costly turnovers. It will (again, I'm trying to guess what's going through their heads) *tend* to produce lower-scoring games and *tend* not to be pretty, because a short passing attack is a good way to bite off chunks of yards and we'd be avoiding it.

But (again, just trying to channel my inner John/Cam here) it will *tend* to produce wins. Not always, and sometimes it will be its own undoing. Yesterday the offense's low-risk strategy backfired when the defense gave up 23 points and the offense sputtered when it was time to show up in the 4th quarter. It's a risk/reward thing, they might say, which is enough to get to the playoffs. It's not pretty but it's effective, they might say.

I'm not sure I buy it, but that's my best guess about why the playcalling tends to be run/deep out/go route. Those plays all have a pretty low chance of backfiring. Though, of course, they sometimes do.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    My sense is the Ravens coaching staff is content to run a low-risk offense that does not put up many points but will probably avoid costly turnovers. It will (again, I'm trying to guess what's going through their heads) *tend* to produce lower-scoring games and *tend* not to be pretty, because a short passing attack is a good way to bite off chunks of yards and we'd be avoiding it.

But (again, just trying to channel my inner John/Cam here) it will *tend* to produce wins. Not always, and sometimes it will be its own undoing. Yesterday the offense's low-risk strategy backfired when the defense gave up 23 points and the offense sputtered when it was time to show up in the 4th quarter. It's a risk/reward thing, they might say, which is enough to get to the playoffs. It's not pretty but it's effective, they might say.

I'm not sure I buy it, but that's my best guess about why the playcalling tends to be run/deep out/go route. Those plays all have a pretty low chance of backfiring. Though, of course, they sometimes do.
    :word Harbaugh neeeds to be blamed for how this team is running as well and yesterdays loss he managed the clock terrible yesterday that was an awful challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    he managed the clock terrible yesterday that was an awful challenge.
    Well, he only had one timeout in the 4th quarter, and that got burned on a player injury. I don't think clock management was an issue.

What was an issue was burning one timeout early in the third quarter on a 3-11 play. I would have just taken the 5-yard delay of game penalty. The timeout was much more valuable than the 5 yards on which they didn't convert anyway.

And the challenge? Harbaugh admitted after the game that he wished he had not challenged that play, but I got to wonder what he or anyone saw that they thought was challenge-worthy to begin with. That had the be the quickest replay review I have ever seen. The referee was in-and-out of the booth in about 20 seconds. Horrible, horrible challenge.