Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Ray Lewis named Greatest LB ever by ESPN (article)

If this was posted already just merge or delete

Ray Lewis Named Greatest Linebacker Ever by ESPN; Three Other Ravens in Top 2 All Time at Their Positions

Even though the Ravens are the second-youngest franchise in the NFL, they were well represented in an ESPN survey of 50 experts, reporters and analysts that determined the greatest players of all time at each position.
    Ray Lewis was named the GOAT at linebacker, while safety Ed Reed, offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden and kicker Justin Tucker were the first runner-up at their positions.
    Lewis earned 23 votes, 10 more than runner-up Dick Butkus.
    "What separates the greats from one another is not physical skill. It's preparation, football intelligence, instincts and execution," analyst Louis Riddick said. "Lewis made some of the most spectacular individual defensive plays we have ever seen because he was the very best at getting the most out of everything he had mentally before the ball was even snapped, allowing his physical skills to shine. That is being a GOAT in my eyes."

Tucker received 21 votes, one less than Adam Vinatieri. No disrespect to Vinatieri, but I think the voters whiffed on this one.
    Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley agreed. He contended that "Tucker is the best kicker in the game because of his accuracy and ability to come through in the most pressure-filled situations, converting 91.1% of his field goals (best in NFL history). And he has connected on 58 straight field goals in the fourth quarter and overtime, including a record 66-yarder last year."
    Bengals reporter Ben Baby said: "The five-time All-Pro is definitely one of the most clutch kickers ever, but he's also one of the most reliable."
    Vinatieri played a whopping 24 seasons and finished with a 83.8 field goal percentage. His clutch playoff kicking and multiple Super Bowls certainly helped his case.

Reed (15 votes), was second to Ronnie Lott (27).

Blog Entries

Re: Ray Lewis named Greatest LB ever by ESPN (article)

Tucker > Vinatieri

I was going to bitch about Reed being #2, but Lott was my all time favorite 49er. So I'll just say Lott is #1, Reed #1A.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Tucker > Vinatieri
    10 seasons v. 24. Tucker will one day be inducted into HOF, and be generally recognized as the best PK ever - He just needs to play a few more years.

Also, for Ray - I thought it was interesting they picked him as the best Linebacker ever, over LT. But I see they've created a 2nd group for "edge-rushers", which I am guessing includes all pass-rushing OLBs and DEs. Probably makes more sense that way.
    Last edited by MarkS; 08-05-2022 at 09:37 AM.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but NOT to their own facts" - Daniel P. Moynihan

Blog Entries

It's very tough for an active player who is nowhere near the end to be considered the best of all time. Tucker will eventually be that but right now I understand why it's 1 vote away from Vinatieri.

if you want, you can even count Prime Time among the list of Ravens, although his time here was brief.

my favorite non-Ravens part of the list was Polamalu getting 2 votes compared to Ed Reed getting 15. that Polamalu/Reed GOAT debate was kind of silly because of how different SS and FS are as positions, but 10-15 years ago it seemed like opinions were split between the two. wasn't expecting Reed's vote count to be so decisively better than Polamalu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    if you want, you can even count Prime Time among the list of Ravens, although his time here was brief.

my favorite non-Ravens part of the list was Polamalu getting 2 votes compared to Ed Reed getting 15. that Polamalu/Reed GOAT debate was kind of silly because of how different SS and FS are as positions, but 10-15 years ago it seemed like opinions were split between the two. wasn't expecting Reed's vote count to be so decisively better than Polamalu
    Polamalu, though great was more linebacker than safety.

Cool Re: Ray Lewis named Greatest LB ever by ESPN (article)

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post

Polamalu was strictly a SS. People tend to forget that Reed was BOTH a SS and a FS in his career and he excelled at both! The only thing Polamalu had over Reed was QB sacks. Otherwise, Reed beat him in everything else!

Blog Entries

"Ray Lewis named Greatest LB ever?"

"So, what's new?" ... Bc

Ray is the goat LB

Tucker Vs Vinateri is a close call. Vinny has the bigger moments

Ray Lewis the GOAT, Reed is also the GOAT. Go ask Tom Brady

Easiest vote ray has the numbers, the big moments, longevity. Not to mention being the leader of the entire team for 2 decades

“GOAT” is just an acronym. No disrespect to Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Ogden or Tucker, but you cannot legitimately name any pro athlete the best of all time in any long-standing sport because different eras means different rules and different playing conditions. Of course, that won’t stop the debating and arguments. And I don’t exclude myself in either.

CCx