What is Elias thinking?

I am a very old Orioles fan. I have never seen prospects kept down in the Minors when they are obviously ready. Adley and Grayson should be in Baltimore. It's like Elias is afraid to pull the trigger because now he will be on the clock towards winning.

Blog Entries

Re: What is Elias thinking?

I'm waiting on Grayson and DL Hall.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I don't know a lot but I know a little

I believe his thinking is effected by two things:

By waiting until around June 15th, a deadline will have passed that allows Rodriguez to possibly become eligible for arbitration after only two years.

Also, the O's are trying to manage his total innings for the year and want to do it in a way where he is not shutdown before the end of the MLB season. I guess they feel it's easier to do at AAA and want to to turn him loose once he's in MLB.

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Well now they're talking about shutting G Rod down until 2023 due to a Lat Strain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioleWay View Post
    Well now they're talking about shutting G Rod down until 2023 due to a Lat Strain.
    It sucks now because we want to see him so badly but in the grand scheme of things, it will be alright. Take your time with him and be cautious. Not like this is the year anyway. He'll be back before we know it and he'll still be 23
    God, Family, Country, Orioles Baseball, Ravens Football

7. Re: What is Elias thinking?

I think Elias knew exactly what he was doing

Any thoughts on the trades of Trey Mancini and Jorge Lopez?
    I didn't want to see Mancini go. But I understand the nature of the business. As for Lopez, my initial response was "WHAAAT ??" But then I remembered how good our bullpen is, as well as our farm system, and someone should be able to slide seamlessly into the role of closer.

Sent from my ass using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    Any thoughts on the trades of Trey Mancini and Jorge Lopez?
    I didn't want to see Mancini go. But I understand the nature of the business. As for Lopez, my initial response was "WHAAAT ??" But then I remembered how good our bullpen is, as well as our farm system, and someone should be able to slide seamlessly into the role of closer.

I love what Elias is doing. Mancini was gone anyway, and his production is being hurt by the new dimensions in left field.

The 4 pitchers we got for Lopez are all lottery tickets, but this is what Elias does. Its like an extension of the draft for him except he has some professional experience to evaluate as well.

Remember, Lopez was a waiver claim just a couple years ago. He was able to turn that into 4 developmental players.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    I love what Elias is doing. Mancini was gone anyway, and his production is being hurt by the new dimensions in left field.

The 4 pitchers we got for Lopez are all lottery tickets, but this is what Elias does. Its like an extension of the draft for him except he has some professional experience to evaluate as well.

Remember, Lopez was a waiver claim just a couple years ago. He was able to turn that into 4 developmental players.

I'm not against either trade, once I came to my senses. I guess I'm just biased because I've been so accustomed to the O's always trading away their best players for "prospects". That was the way for many years. Elias is clearly on a different trajectory while doing that now. Seems as though before it was nothing more than a cost cutting scheme.

Draft grade from The Athletic:

A-

Trades: Traded 1B/OF Trey Mancini to Astros in a three-team trade, acquiring RHP Seth Johnson from Rays and RHP Chayce McDermott from Astros (Astros received OF Jose Siri and RHP Jayden Murray from Rays); traded RHP Jorge López to Twins for LHP Cade Povich, RHP Yennier Cano, RHP Juan Nunez and LHP Juan Rojas; acquired OF Brett Phillips from Rays for cash.

The Orioles were only three games back in the wild-card standings when they decided to trade Trey Mancini, who was the most popular player in their clubhouse and is beloved by their fan base. However, in that three-team deal, the Orioles received Seth Johnson, who is one of the Rays’ top pitching prospects. Although Johnson is about to have Tommy John surgery and will miss all of 2023, he has No. 2 or No. 3 starter upside, so this deal could be a huge factor when the Orioles are a stronger postseason threat in 2024. I also loved that GM Mike Elias implied after the trade that he was interested in bringing back Mancini when he hits free agency after this season. That trade will be initially unpopular in Baltimore, but it could pay huge dividends in a couple of years, and if they re-sign Mancini, all will be forgiven.

The Jorge López trade was a no-brainer as the Orioles received four solid pitching prospects in return. That’s selling “high,” which is what the Orioles did on López, who had an ERA above 6.00 in his two previous seasons for Baltimore. And with López gone, Félix Bautista (1.65 ERA in 46 appearances) can take over the closer role. I gave the Orioles “extra credit” in the grade for realizing their window to reach the playoffs realistically starts next year, not this year, and prioritizing their long-term plan.

Listening to Elias talk about the Mancini trade on Monday, I was able to ‘read between the lines’. He weighs heavily the contract status of each Oriole player. Under contract through next year? Free agent at the end of this season? Unwilling to sign an extension?

Without knowing the specifics on Lopez’s and Mancini’s contracts, either or both could be available to return very soon. Buying teams often ‘rent’ new players for the postseason.

I am very relieved because I was very apprehensive we would lose Zantander, Hays, or Urias, All three have excelled against the Yankees this season. With no guarantee they would return, such a loss would be hard to swallow. It seems Elias recognizes just who are the core of the future Orioles.

CCx