Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Film Review: Key plays, Big plays, Interesting Concepts and Miscues (A CLOSER LOOK)

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    Who was running open down the right sideline? Boykin?
    Yup.

Blog Entries

Re: Film Review: Key plays, Big plays, Interesting Concepts and Miscues (A CLOSER LOOK)

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    why the hell would you have a bubble screen with 1-on-1 coverage and no blockers? only way that could possibly work is if Honey Badger blitzes leaving a quick pass to Brown, but even then you've got him backpedalling instead of running forward when it's 2nd and 3.
    I think the bubble screen only gets thrown if the slot defender bites on read-option handoff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    I saw that during the game. Who was running open down the right sideline? Boykin?
    Yup, that's Miles.
    3rd & 15 - 1st Q: @4:47

My take:

Empty 5 wide-11 personnel-L to R:
    (i think)Dobbins wide left, - go route
    Andrews 'nasty' split left - hitch converts to an out
    Snead 'nasty' split right - deep over route
    Hollywood slot right - dig
    Boykins wide right - go route

Defense rotate from a Cover 1 singe high look to a 2-Deep look

The Pocket-
    I think Lamar hitches/climbs the pocket earlier then he needed which brought him into the pressure
    Bozeman does a good job of initially giving Jones a punch but it also look like Clark is stunting inside and the punch on Jones gets him off balance and he couldn't re-anchor in time to give a punch on Clark

at the same time

The Reads-
    Lamar appears to scan the right side of the progression
    At the top of his drop Hollywood hasn't broken inside on the dig yet
    Lamar hitches up in the pocket waiting for Hollywood

The Coverage-
    The (R) side S is still maintain his posture and hasn't committed to Hollywood yet

Lamar baby hitches again-
    Just at that instant Clark beats Bozeman and Lamar tries to escape
    At the same time Hollywood breaks inside on the Dig
    The (R)FS commits to Hollywood....

And Boykin is open down the (R) sideline
    Lamar ducks out of the sack attempt from Clark--ideally i would have liked to see Lamar accelerate through the gap on the right keep his eyes up recognize Boykin and throw it

Like most of the day this failed play was a little of bad from multiple places-
    Lamar (pocket presence), Bozeman (getting beat)

Hitting on this play would have been a game changer
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Hitting on this play would have been a game changer
    Andrews is open on the left sideline, too. He would've had to break a tackle, but had a shot at getting the first down.

What's a "nasty" split?

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I think talking about any handful of plays and focusing only on whether the QB completed a pass or not without equal discussion of the scheme, pass protection and receiver play paints an incomplete picture.

Overall I agree that Lamar missed on those plays but I disagree that he bears the blame alone. I don’t think they shutdown Lamar I think the passing game as a unit was.

Also, just in the image above KC was playing Cover-2 zone vs empty.
    Last edited by edromeo; 10-02-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Blog Entries

I think talking about any handful of plays and focusing only on whether the QB completed a pass or not without equal discussion of the scheme, pass protection and receiver play paints an incomplete picture.

Overall I agree that Lamar missed on those plays but I disagree that he bears the blame alone. I don’t think they shutdown Lamar I think the passing game as a unit was.

Also, just in the image above KC was playing Cover-2 zone vs empty.
    Yea not sure I agree with that article. Lamar did make two really big throws to Andrews that probably change the game if they weren’t dropped. One td and one long pass down the seam.

It’s not fair to lay it all on Lamar. They sucked as a team. Luckily we get the football team Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure where to put this but I'll leave it here. Nice break down of how McVay incorporated Ravens offensive concepts after our smackdown last year. Perhaps Roman can learn a thing or two after watching Reid and Bieniemy similarly eviscerate us on Monday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAW3LtZtcOg
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

I think the bubble screen only gets thrown if the slot defender bites on read-option handoff.
    that was my take, but even then it seems like a bubble screen is a bad route choice. first off, it's not even a "screen" since he has no blockers, it's just a "bubble" route. and with three yards to gain for first down (and it's only 2nd down, so even a two yard pass is a positive play there), i don't see any advantage to a bubble route compared to a quick slant there. Brown can basically just fall forward from the LoS if the slot defender bites on the playfake and still have a positive play. the flipside is that by bubbling instead of running a forward route, he actually draws Honey Badger into the backfield. if Snead's defender hadn't blown him up and gotten to LJ when LJ took off, Honey Badger would've been right there to get LJ in the backfield for a loss. i know it's just a little detail of one red zone play, but i just don't see any logic to it at all. even the shoulder LJ has to throw to is off for a bubble route there. LJ would want to put the ball on Brown's right shoulder there out in front of him, whereas if he runs a quick out, BOykin has cleared his defender out of the way and LJ can hit Hollywood's left shoulder on the quick out so that Hollywood's body is between the ball and the defender (who had inside position).

i just don't get it. and i hope i never see another bubble route that isn't an actual "bubble screen" from this offense (unless it's some trick play that actually does make sense)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    ...What's a "nasty" split?
    Away from the last man on the line but inside the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    that was my take, but even then it seems like a bubble screen is a bad route choice...
    i just don't get it. and i hope i never see another bubble route that isn't an actual "bubble screen" from this offense (unless it's some trick play that actually does make sense)
    Oh, I agree with you. I would like to see the 'give read' to the back or the fade to Boykin.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Blog Entries