Page 47 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4546474849 ... LastLast

Re: 2020 NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I watched 2 games each of Murray and Queen this weekend...I'd MUCH prefer Queen at this point although Queen would have to put on 10+ pounds to play here. Much better awareness and diagnosing plays...Murray seems to get fooled way too easily with fakes and takes a bunch of wasted steps...often taking himself out of plays. Queen does a better job of not overreacting to the motion and fakes offenses seem to do. Queen also seems to arrive with a lot more power than Murray IMHO...Murray's speed is impressive and allows him to recover from those false steps a lot, but it also IMHO makes him chase and wrap player instead of a guy delivering a blow.

In fact, I think I'd prefer to wait and potentially draft Harrison on day 2 rather than pick Murray. I'd be ok with Queen, but I'd be pretty concerned about his size.
    Well, thank you for that. I recall from draft profiles that Murray does not diagnose nor use his hands in traffic well. He sounded to me a lot like Arthur Brown - I don't know if that's fair. I would be pleased with Queen, too. I expect he could add some strength as a pro without loss of his quickness and speed. I appreciate the attraction of a round 3 thumper. One of the best ones. FA may have an effect on what they do with that possibility.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

Arthur Brown was always a strange situation to me.

Was it skill or will? I have to think it was a "will" thing...he just didn't put enough into it.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Was it skill or will? I have to think it was a "will" thing...he just didn't put enough into it.
    I think he was just really poor in assignment football.

I think some people really underrate how important it is to just have good NFL instincts. They don't need to be great of course, but you can't make a living in the NFL by playing poor assignment football. It's a major reason why NE is so good so much...you can't play for Hoodie if you aren't disciplined and can understand what the opposing teams are doing the majority of the time.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Understood about reps for a slot WR. But at least a slot guy adds some diversity to the skill sets we have.

We aleady have two fast & talented outside boundary WRs, in Marquise & Boykin. I don't see how adding another moves the needle very much; esp considering how much 12 and 21 we play.
    Not to mention you pick up a Hamler and he also can do slot things, reverses, and return kicks

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I’m really rising on Gross-Matos

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I have a long standing theory that most of their draft busts are players who have elite athleticism, size, or strength. I mean, first round measurables, who are often sitting there in the second or even third round, and they draft them thinking they can coach them up. But they don't have a record of production, work ethic, or will to win, or football IQ that is needed to tap into their physical skills.

Arthur Brown was one of those goes. Elite speed and jumping ability. As for the rest, the scouting reports were mixed. I saw reports that pointed to his team captaincy and his filmroom study. But also saw notes saying he bit on misdirection and was easily manhandled.

A more recent example is Miles Boykin, for me. That pissed off people last year when I expressed reservations even after he flashed in camp. Great measurables. Looks the part. Willing blocker. But he didn't have much production in college (people blame the QB). We'll see this year if he can turn the corner.

To be fair, Orlando Brown sort of falls into the category--he has the size. But, really, he is also sort of the flip side of the argument because he showed little agility or strength at the combine, but still had good college tape and has proven to be a bargain selection.

Did the NFL announce the comp picks yet? Normally they do it the week before the combine starts right? Maybe they are waiting on the CBA deal?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

8. Re: 2020 NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BHSU View Post
    Kinda petty that Burrow won't be throwing at the combine, if you ask me. One minute you call yourself a "baller" who goes out and does what is asked of him, but then another minute he won't be throwing the ball at the combine. Ridiculous.
    Believe a lot of his LSU teammates are doing the same....they had a longer season than most so not as much times as others to work the same "drills". Tape don't lie and his 2019 tape was "baller". He'll show out at his pro day and then get lose to Lamar for the next several years :)

Blog Entries

Kinda petty that Burrow won't be throwing at the combine, if you ask me. One minute you call yourself a "baller" who goes out and does what is asked of him, but then another minute he won't be throwing the ball at the combine. Ridiculous.
    all risk no reward. He's already slotted to go #1 overall, at this stage just don't screw that up

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

10. Re: 2020 NFL Draft Thread

Yes, but if you really are a "gamer" and "passionate about football", then wouldn't you want to be doing as much as you can to showcase your talent?

The flipside of this could be a possibility though. He knows he'll be first selected, and the only thing he can do at the combine would be nitpicked for anything and everything. He really, I guess, has nothing more to prove.
    Last line there brotha...what else would he have to prove is 100% right. He was on with Pat and Jim on NFL radio yesterday and he mentioned how much he was chomping at getting out there to compete but he knows he will have the pro day. I think if Tua never injures his hip he'd might be throwing. I thin Tua's injury is the only thing that has cemented him as the number 1 pick.... he is still a "one year wonder" in terms of production....it'll be a fun Draft season.

Round 1-Kenneth Murray
    Round 2- Jon Greenard
    Round 3-Chase Claypool
    Round 3 (trade up)-Anfernee Jennings

Yes, but if you really are a "gamer" and "passionate about football", then wouldn't you want to be doing as much as you can to showcase your talent?

The flipside of this could be a possibility though. He knows he'll be first selected, and the only thing he can do at the combine would be nitpicked for anything and everything. He really, I guess, has nothing more to prove.
    Right.

His agent would tackle him and drag him off the field, if Burrow tried to do any football drills. And he'd be doing his job, too.