Warren Sharp on Lamar

Do you guys follow Warren Sharp? Although he focuses on betting, I think his analysis is super smart. He's not your typical sleazebag selling you his ironclad lock of the week.

Check out this appearance three weeks ago on Comcast DC's sports network.

If you FF to 3:00 you'll hear him throw shade on Mitch Trabisky, which turned out to be prescient. And then he transitions into a case for Lamar Jackson being undervalued, and in fact historically superior as a rookie. IF you want to stick it out to the 7:00 mark he then makes a case why the Ravens are a good bet to win the decision. (He also likes the Panthers to win the division, as do I)

Re: Warren Sharp on Lamar

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Do you guys follow Warren Sharp? Although he focuses on betting, I think his analysis is super smart. He's not your typical sleazebag selling you his ironclad lock of the week.

Check out this appearance three weeks ago on Comcast DC's sports network.

If you FF to 3:00 you'll hear him throw shade on Mitch Trabisky, which turned out to be prescient. And then he transitions into a case for Lamar Jackson being undervalued, and in fact historically superior as a rookie. IF you want to stick it out to the 7:00 mark he then makes a case why the Ravens are a good bet to win the decision. (He also likes the Panthers to win the division, as do I)

Not my opinion. He just seems like another Jason Laconfora. He posts a bunch of stuff stuff and occasionally hits on something and then gloats about it like he has all the answers.

Look at his Twitter. The post before Lamar he is bashing the Texans for not doing enough to build around Deshaun Watson. Just blatantly stupid.
    2016 Will Fuller WR 1st rounder.
    2016 Nick Martin 2nd rounder
    2016 Braxton Miller WR 3rd rounder
    2017 they traded away 2018 pick to get their QB.

Also in drafts from 2016-2018 they took multiple OT, RB and TES all in mid to early rounds and Sharp is bashing them for not supporting him?
    He seems like a hack to me.

If you look at what Sharp says about the Texans, his criticism is not the talent, it's more O'Brien's play calling. His focus isn't on "building around" him with playmakers, it's "protecting" him, vis a vis playcalling and the OL.

He has a big problem with O'Brien being too predictable and leaving Watson in third and long situations. And he points to the fact that Watson is the most pressured QB in the league when dropping back to pass, nearly 50% of the time, and they are near the bottom for second and long and third and long. He also criticizes O'Brien for not rotating running backs and has stats that suggest it kills drives.

I've followed Sharp for a few years. I like him, but I have to take some of what he says about Lamar with a grain of salt, as he is clearly in the tank for him, AND has an irrational hatred of Joe Flacco. Just bashes him randomly all the time, and has for years.

Speaking of the Texans, here's someone else lambasting them for not having a plan. Sharp isn't alone in this regard.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/a...son-ravens-nfl

Also, love this quote from that article:

"There’s something beautiful about the Ravens establishing the run with words, and not through wasting plays."

I thought at the time that Harbs' "bet the over" comments on Lamar running were him being his usual coy self.

I heard about sharp through other broadcasters. The week before the I tried to watch all the commentary I could from the various pundits. Many referenced him and his proclamation that Lamar was the best rookie passer under 21 of all times. I kind of found that to be a weird analysis because they were all horrible passers their first season, but he was the best of the horrible performances. Certainly doesn't guarantee he would improve.

Still, in watching these different pundits I came away with the feeling that most of them had not done their homework on

1) Greg Roman becoming the OC

2) the full set of reasons we lost to the chargers in the playoffs (no, it wasn't just them adjusting, it was MM plays being transparent and getting hacked)

3) the fact that we drafted 2 wide receivers to complement the 2 TEs from the previous draft.

So at least he was willing to right off Lamar as a passer because of the under 21 analysis.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    Not my opinion. He just seems like another Jason Laconfora. He posts a bunch of stuff stuff and occasionally hits on something and then gloats about it like he has all the answers.

Look at his Twitter. The post before Lamar he is bashing the Texans for not doing enough to build around Deshaun Watson. Just blatantly stupid.
    2016 Will Fuller WR 1st rounder.
    2016 Nick Martin 2nd rounder
    2016 Braxton Miller WR 3rd rounder
    2017 they traded away 2018 pick to get their QB.

Also in drafts from 2016-2018 they took multiple OT, RB and TES all in mid to early rounds and Sharp is bashing them for not supporting him?
    He seems like a hack to me.
    O'Brien is ruining Watson with surrounding him with mediocre lineman. He also lucked into Deshaun Watson as a starting QB.

Quote Originally Posted by guymf4 View Post
    Many referenced him and his proclamation that Lamar was the best rookie passer under 21 of all times. I kind of found that to be a weird analysis because they were all horrible passers their first season, but he was the best of the horrible performances.
    What he actually said was much more specific. Among all QBs in the NFL since the merger who played when they were 21, Lamar had the best passer rating, and one of the best yards-per-attempt, of any of them.

And in fact this is true. I posted this exact data here, back in January:

As with anything "statistical", there are caveats. It's a small sample, who played when they were 21. That's actually a point in Lamar's facor: it's a damn small group of guys, who earn a chance to play QB at age 21. Also notice that Sharp said Lamar had a better passer rating; not that he was a "better" rookie passer. Lamar had many fewer attempts than some of these guys, esp Jameis Winson & Bledsoe & Stafford. Lamar's passer rating is decimal points higher than Winston's: but any reasonable person would say that Winston's body of passing work that season is more impressive than Lamar's.

Certainly doesn't guarantee he would improve.
    Check out the list in that post linked above. A pretty good set of players.

"Guarantee" is a strong word. But it's obvious that improvement is the way to bet, with a 21yo player in a good situation.

I heard about sharp through other broadcasters. The week before the I tried to watch all the commentary I could from the various pundits. Many referenced him and his proclamation that Lamar was the best rookie passer under 21 of all times. I kind of found that to be a weird analysis because they were all horrible passers their first season, but he was the best of the horrible performances. Certainly doesn't guarantee he would improve.

Still, in watching these different pundits I came away with the feeling that most of them had not done their homework on

1) Greg Roman becoming the OC

2) the full set of reasons we lost to the chargers in the playoffs (no, it wasn't just them adjusting, it was MM plays being transparent and getting hacked)

3) the fact that we drafted 2 wide receivers to complement the 2 TEs from the previous draft.

So at least he was willing to right off Lamar as a passer because of the under 21 analysis.

The other thing people keep forgetting is that the Chargers had to go 6 DBs in that game. Too many LBs were hurt to play a normal front in that playoff game. L.A. were making the best they could from an injured defense. The fact that the Ravens as a team didn't realize that the Chargers had to play 6 and 7 DBs all game, and that the obvious counter to that is jumbo sets is maddening.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    What he actually said was much more specific. Among all QBs in the NFL since the merger who played when they were 21, Lamar had the best passer rating, and one of the best yards-per-attempt, of any of them.

And in fact this is true. I posted this exact data here, back in January:

As with anything "statistical", there are caveats. It's a small sample, who played when they were 21. That's actually a point in Lamar's facor: it's a damn small group of guys, who earn a chance to play QB at age 21. Also notice that Sharp said Lamar had a better passer rating; not that he was a "better" rookie passer. Lamar had many fewer attempts than some of these guys, esp Jameis Winson & Bledsoe & Stafford. Lamar's passer rating is decimal points higher than Winston's: but any reasonable person would say that Winston's body of passing work that season is more impressive than Lamar's.

Check out the list in that post linked above. A pretty good set of players.

"Guarantee" is a strong word. But it's obvious that improvement is the way to bet, with a 21yo player in a good situation.
    I agree with everything your saying. I've seen the list, lots of great players. It's probably now a sign if how talented they were that they even got a start in the NFL at 21. The league was ready to draft them and throw them into the fire. That says something about their perceived talent level in these first place.

I think what stood out was just the fact he was willing no go against the league wide, "Lamar can't pass, he's only going to run, running quarterbacks run offense's that are easy to defend against" narrative was nice to hear.

But my preseason optimism did not come from his obscure statistical analysis if 21 year old quarterbacks, it can from the many other topics we discussed this offseason. Like hearing the words "building an offense around our quarterback". Six words I've never heard prior in a ravens preseason. And any change at OC was going to be an upgrade.

It's probably now a sign if how talented they were that they even got a start in the NFL at 21. The league was ready to draft them and throw them into the fire. That says something about their perceived talent level in these first place.
    Agreed.

But my preseason optimism did not come from his obscure statistical analysis if 21 year old quarterbacks, it can from the many other topics we discussed this offseason.
    Yeah, agreed. Sharp was reaching for statistical info – makes sense, he's a gambling sharp – whereas we had a lot of other input this offseason.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    If you look at what Sharp says about the Texans, his criticism is not the talent, it's more O'Brien's play calling. His focus isn't on "building around" him with playmakers, it's "protecting" him, vis a vis playcalling and the OL.

He has a big problem with O'Brien being too predictable and leaving Watson in third and long situations. And he points to the fact that Watson is the most pressured QB in the league when dropping back to pass, nearly 50% of the time, and they are near the bottom for second and long and third and long. He also criticizes O'Brien for not rotating running backs and has stats that suggest it kills drives.
    So you would take the Panthers tonight in knockout?