Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT: I Miss My Baltimore

This one is only slightly Ravens-related but it comes from the heart and its intent is good. Mods, if you feel this needs to be moved please do so...

I Miss My Baltimore
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: OT: I Miss My Baltimore

There are many organizations and initiatives aimed at healing Baltimore from it's numerous issues. One day at a time. Get involved, stay involved is what I always say

I miss my Baltimore also, and don't get up there much anymore. I recently cancelled a trip to the Fells Point Festival to see the Gin Blossoms. No one up there wanted to go since the show started at 6:15pm on a Saturday night.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    I miss my Baltimore also, and don't get up there much anymore. I recently cancelled a trip to the Fells Point Festival to see the Gin Blossoms. No one up there wanted to go since the show started at 6:15pm on a Saturday night.
    Lol worried at fells point ? Omg

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    I'll be there!
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Lol worried at fells point ? Omg
    Considering just within a few block radius of Fells point from July 31st-Aug 14th there is around 130+ reported crime related incidents just within a two week period. Most of the crimes being assault, robbery, theft the above poster was smart to cancel the trip.

The further out you extend the map, the more the incident numbers rise.

I've lived in Baltimore City for about 15 years now. I've gone out plenty around town (mostly Hampden, Charles Village, Remington, Mount Vernon, Canton, Fells, Pig Town). I've just never been messed with or had any sort of confrontation that made me feel unsafe. My car's been broken into quite a few times, but that's it really. I know crime is worse in the parts of the city I don't frequent, so I'm not denying that, but my experience is that nobody's messed with me in 15 years and I just feel safe here. Maybe I'm just lucky. I'm 6'3" and around 250lbs, so maybe that's a factor. I'm white, so maybe that's a factor? I don't really know. All I know is I feel safe in any of those neighborhoods.

And I get it if someone lives in the county and they see the news and decide they're scared to come into the city. Or if someone has had multiple incidents here and are scared to come back. I'd probably be scared too if I hadn't lived/walked/driven/cycled around this city for the last 15 years incident free. But that's how I feel, and I'm glad to be a part of this city, and I'm glad that I have opportunities to help lift it up as well.

8. Re: OT: I Miss My Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    Considering just within a few block radius of Fells point from July 31st-Aug 14th there is around 130+ reported crime related incidents just within a two week period. Most of the crimes being assault, robbery, theft the above poster was smart to cancel the trip.

The further out you extend the map, the more the incident numbers rise.
    The number of incidents increases as you increase the area?! How surprising!
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

I know this is not the point OP was making, which is important, but thinking of old Baltimore reminded me, check out the Sun's archived photo collection of old Baltimore. Lots of things to remind you of a gentler - though less woke - time.

I was born in Baltimore and lived in west Baltimore until in 2nd grade[my brother in 5th) were both jumped for our lunch money walking to Beechfield Elementary school and it continued. My father and mother immediately bought a house in Carroll county and we both had a tremendous childhood. I took a girlfriend to my old neighborhood off Wilkins ave one time and drug dealers were all over the place. We hightailed it out of there. Nice piece Tony

Great piece Tony! You’re 100%. Why don’t we hold our elected officials responsible? Why can’t we as a community come together? Your childhood sounds like mine only I was in East B’More /Dundalk area. My fondest memories not including my children /grandchildren. Lol. It’s all changed now. We could walk the streets of Greek Town or HighlandTown anytime. Fells Point was “safe”. Hell Canton was a shithole that no one wanted to live in. Lol. Simpler times Brothers and Sisters.
    # RavensFamily # RavensFlock.

Side note ::: man Tony ...can Chris Stapleton sing or What? I’d listen to that dude sing the menu at Capt Harvey’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a septuagenarian that has lived around the Baltimore area for about 40 of my 70+ years.

The violence that is being reported in Baltimore almost all seems to be drug related in one way or another. Drug deals gone bad. Revenge for a bad drug deal. Gang wars and on and on and on.

The old theory of 'just lock them up'; overlooks one big thing - for the most part crimes being committed do not end up in 'Life without parole' sentences. What is happening is that the criminals are being shipped off to the Institute of Higher Criminality and spend their years there learning how to be 'more effective' criminals when they get unleashed on society again. Baltimore is not alone in this failing, the entirety of the USA is doing the same thing of making more criminalistic criminals. All the decades long 'War on Drugs' has done is make more criminals - not more upstanding citizens.