Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best “fit” WR for the Ravens and the Draft

Im reading the blog on rsr right now - the idea that the ravens should target a specific type of WR and what fits best for lamar jackson. This type of thinking narrows your choices in the draft - its hard enough to hit on a WR. Getting a good WR is what matters, not the type of WR.

I looked through the “rankings” by experts for WRs the last 6-8 years and the biggest take-away is that WR is a total crap-shoot. Rankings dont matter and its about 50/50 unless its a top 5 pick candidate. Most of the early round busts are the guys who have prototypical speed or size but lack polish, but the guys that can catch and run routes tend to become #1 WRs. Many of these types of guys end up a round 2 candidate.

But what i thought was more interesting is that hitting on WRs projected to go after round 3 is more like 80/20. It is rare any of those guys become a legit #1 starting WR. But this is where the ravens have focused most of their attempts at drafting a WR. So yes, drafting a WR is risky, but waiting after round 2-3 to hit on a WR is like winning the lottery. This is why the Ravens suck at drafting WRs.

There are a lot of talented WRs - but i think the “safe” or highest % chance of becoming a #1 WR in this years draft is aj brown. What he lacks in speed he makes up for in every other category.

My last thought on this, and there is thread on this already... Willie Snead was one of those rare late round categorized udfa type WRs when i was looking at that years draft. And even though Baltimore is a place where WRs come to die, Snead had a very fine season. Even if the Ravens draft a WR, Snead is the go to #1 WR in my mind. I think we are lucky to have him. The question shouldnt be where are are we going to get a WR from, it should be how can we lock Snead up now to secure the WR position. In low volume passing offense, i think the ravens are good if snead is locked up another 4 years and the ravens draft BPA whether that is a WR or not. Sneads only concern is the off field issue that got him out of favor in NO, if thats behind him, he could be a steal for the ravens.

Blog Entries

Re: Best “fit” WR for the Ravens and the Draft

To me this years WR crop are so packed together :

They're hard to tell apart. Just go through this board and you'll see so many diverse opinions on who is the #1 that I'd rather (if push comes to shove) draft EDGE (Ferrell) or O-line (Ford) first if they're available. However, if DeCosta trades down, then perhaps his #1 WR choice, along with another pretty high pick, might satisfy an old goat like me... Bc

Blog Entries

While I understand your frustration with the complication of the general WR search, there still have to be concessions made in evaluation for the system, scheme and a Quarterback’s style. Putting a Wes Welker in a heavily Coryell-based offense isn’t nearly as effective as allowing him to play a more suitable role for him, for example.

That said, in my opinion, there is a style of WR that this offense needs, another that this offense needs, and a type that Lamar needs.

This offense will be predicated on the run. The passing offense will rely heavily on the success of the run. The run is going to welcome loaded boxes. If you don’t have an outside WR to stretch the defense, the defense can squeeze down on the middle of the field. So, while we expect the passing offense to go through the TEs and Snead in the middle of the field, it’s asking for defenses to flood those areas and play single coverage outside. So, I strongly feel that they need a WR to stretch the field.

The other WR I feel the offense needs is the same sort that Jackson needs. They need a WR who can beat that single coverage along the boundary and work the boundary effectively for the QB. So, that second guy is also the same sort of player that Lamar needs.

Lamar working on his technique and improving the consistency of his throws along the boundary, in the off-season, is only a part of the equation. If you truly want him to improve on that area, it needs to translate to games and the way it translates to games is to have a reliable target on the other end. A target who gives him that extra comfort and confidence. He won’t be able to go from where he was to throwing in the tightest of Windows in one off-season. He also can’t build that confidence in those throws if he doesn’t even have someone there he can trust to be where he needs to be.

He needs someone on the outside who can get open and create a larger window for him.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 04-13-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Fit determines whether the WR will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    So, I strongly feel that they need a WR to stretch the field.

They need a WR who can beat that single coverage along the boundary and work the boundary effectively for the QB.
    John Brown could do both, but it didnt seem to matter he was on the field with the Lamar offense. Which is why they didnt re-sign him and why i dont really think its going to matter all that much if they draft 1 or 2 WRs that fit that mold.

I didn't see the thread here before commenting on the blog on the site. But here's what I wrote there:

The longer I have pondered this question the more convinced I am it is simply wrong to define a "type" of receiver. Billick notoriously pushed big receivers who could jump up and snag the ball. Never panned out. We've tried to target fast guys, who could "take the top off" a defense. Unsuccessfully.

I'm more convinced than ever that they should be selecting someone who just catches everything thrown his way, and then worry about route running, speed, wingspan, hand size, YAC, height, etc. as a secondary factor.

There is no answer to what type receiver fits with Lamar, unless that answer is the type who makes catches.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Fit determines whether the WR will be good.
    I dont agree. We have seen pro bowl WRs sign with different teams and consistantly make plays no matter where they are. If they are talented they produce, even if some of them dont have a QB, they still make plays.

There are some WRs that may fit for a team but not in another team - but i dont consider them great players, they are just system guys. And i think its much harder to get them, many of them are molded by great teams with offensive minds. If the ravens couldnt develop any WRs under the Harbaugh era, i dont expect that to happen now.

Quote Originally Posted by justifythegame View Post
    I dont agree. We have seen pro bowl WRs sign with different teams and consistantly make plays no matter where they are. If they are talented they produce, even if some of them dont have a QB, they still make plays.

There are some WRs that may fit for a team but not in another team - but i dont consider them great players, they are just system guys. And i think its much harder to get them, many of them are molded by great teams with offensive minds. If the ravens couldnt develop any WRs under the Harbaugh era, i dont expect that to happen now.
    Yeah if we get a generational talent sure. But most prospects of all positions need to develop in order to be good. And if we try to jam a square peg into a round hole that will hamper their development.

Like yes if we can get a dominant WR who could be great in any system I don’t think we should or would pass on them because of fit lmao

Blog Entries

I actually thought that what NJRavensFan was referring to, when he said “fit”, was the offense itself. Not the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I actually thought that what NJRavensFan was referring to, when he said “fit”, was the offense itself. Not the QB.
    Indeed

Blog Entries

Good receivers.