Page 43 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4142434445 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Is Lamar the answer, article from Tony?

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    By every metric possible LJ was not a great passer as a college QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Barnwell
    "His completion percentage isn't that great for a franchise QB prospect but this is a guy who, when you compare him to those other big 4 QBs in the first round who are going to likely go in the first round, Lamar threw a higher percentage of his passes 5 or more yards downfield then any of those other guys [top 4 QBs] Josh Allen included

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDFan View Post
    What you fail to acknowledge is that when those backs ran the ball, there was a QB under center who could pass the ball with some consistency and even distance. Jackson has not shown that. If he fails to show that next season, then they commit everyone and that is how it gets shut down like the Chargers did. Won't matter how big your line is. Bottom line is if Jackson is to be successful, and in turn, the Ravens , then he has to actually show he can win games with his arm. He has not done so to date. Only needed him to do it one game but that didn't work so that's where we are.
    Actually last year showed we didn't need to do that which is why we went 6-1 after Lamar took over. Would it make it easier and lessen the margin of error? Sure. Would it make it more likely to get where we want to go (ie suberbowl)? Sure. But you can still win games in the NFL with marginal qb play, a really good running game, and a very good defense. Every year a team sneaks into the playoffs with that formula.

But that wasn't even the point I was making. The point I was trying to make is regardless of the growth we want from Lamar and we all think want him to grow into a passing role we still have a formula and we should make sure we have that formula solidified before moving onto other things. I read somewhere that something like 70 percent of our plays last year with Lamar in were runs.

We are not all of sudden going to change and start passing the ball 40-50 times a game. Most of what we do in the passing game is going to be predicated on us being able to run the football. So we better damn well make sure we can do so. I walked away from the Chargers game with a different lesson then you folks I walked away with the understanding scheme will only get us so far. If we can't run the football between the tackles and our olineman can't win the individual battles scheme is meaningless you might as well be pissing in the wind. We lost because our lineman couldn't block their 4 man rushing attack. We couldn't run on what was essentially a dime package. The Patriots the next week ran all over them.

Granted Marty had an awful gameplan and didn't do us any favors with playcalling but lets say Roman was in charge would the result have been much different? You got to be able to block a 4man rush when passing the football you got to be able to get to the second level and run on a dime defense. If we are going to run the football 70 percent of the time or even if you want to decrease that to 60 percent next season we need to fix this oline. It all starts from there. 2nd on my list earlier would be like I said a more complete back who catch in the backfield who will leak out and provide an option for Lamar on scrambles and blitzes.

The other stuff is a luxury. If Lamar is passing the ball 20-25 times and 10-15 of those targets are going to the TE/Slot WR/Scat-back then that isn't going to leave much of an opportunity anyways. I don't think drafting a ferrari that is going to be sitting in the garage is a smart allocation of our limited resources.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    By every metric possible LJ was not a great passer as a college QB.

Blog Entries

I don't object to the people who think Lamar is going to fail. I object to the rationale used to support your views that he's going to fail.

If Lamar looks great and has showed improvement everybody will be kissing his butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    I believe his finger on the nose of the ball is a concern when throwing. I think it hurts with accuracy and makes some of his passes wobbly. I have questioned if it's a hand size issue or just a preference.
    Can you help me understand this part a little better?

In terms of hand position on the ball, including index finger placement, I don't see much of a difference between these guys:

And this guy:

Is there a subtle key I'm not seeing?

lol jim throwing bows !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    Look, the Ravens have been looking for a black quarterback for over 20 years
    You can’t make this shit up lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

In terms of hand position on the ball, including index finger placement, I don't see much of a difference between these guys:

And this guy:

Wow, this is some good shit right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Wow, this is some good shit right here.
    Really? The other guys are half an inch to a full inch away from the actual nose, Lamar is pretty much right on it, which is significant. It's pretty obvious from every one of those photos! When you hold the ball on the nose, it decreases the spin and therefore the likelihood of a spiral and increases the chance of the ball knuckling due to the way it hits the air. How do you think Cristiano Ronaldo hits his freekicks with such insane swerve? He hit's the ball right down the middle.

And In2Deep- look, I agree with you about Lamar for the most part. But just posting single line posts like "This clown won't be around in a few years" don't help anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

And this guy:

Yes. While Lamar May have average hand size ...maybe his fingers are short? If you look at the pics of Ben , Payton, and Rodgers ( I think) look how wide the grip is. Their pinkie finger is almost at the end of the threads ( two maybe three left). Lamar has like half the threads left and his pinkie isn’t really touching the threads.

Plus , like most people point out, Lamar’s index finger is closer or almost on the nose of the ball. His grip looks like he’s throwing English Darts instead of a football.

The closest to Lamar’s grip in the pics you posted is Brees. Makes sense. Brees is a smaller dude also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    Really? The other guys are half an inch to a full inch away from the actual nose, Lamar is pretty much right on it, which is significant. It's pretty obvious from every one of those photos! When you hold the ball on the nose, it decreases the spin and therefore the likelihood of a spiral and increases the chance of the ball knuckling due to the way it hits the air. How do you think Cristiano Ronaldo hits his freekicks with such insane swerve? He hit's the ball right down the middle.

And In2Deep- look, I agree with you about Lamar for the most part. But just posting single line posts like "This clown won't be around in a few years" don't help anyone.
    Ben and Brees hold their finger a little farther away but his finger placement is very similar to Brady and Rodgers. Point is, It’s not as different as dudes are making it seem.