Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: OT: Alex Smith career might be over

The thing is the money is split what 51 49. If players want to setup a general fund for other players who are injured and can no longer play with career earnings below x amount nothing is stopping them from using a portion of the share of their revenue and doing so.

In many ways it would be fairer then just rewarding guys who happened to sign longterm deals with fully guarnteed contracts. People put all this onus on the owners they have their share the players have theirs. It's upto the players to figure out how to use their share effectively.

Since this has turned into a salary /injury pay out thread ...I’ll bite.
    I feel the new CBA will have more guaranteed money in it. All the other sports do. Not fully guaranteed but a good bit.
    I think the CBA should be changed so that when a player is either injured out of the league or thrown out ( Ray Rice) the team is only charged for that yrs cap hit and or only the guaranteed money’s. While having” underperforming “ players on big deals will hurt ...paying for someone whose NOT on the damn team is a crippler.
    I think the answer to the “what to due with injured players “ and “ the retired CTE and other health issues “ is really simple. The current split is 51/49. Have the NFLPA take 48 1/2 % and the Owners get 49 1/2%. That’s leaves 2% to make a fund for these issues. For all players. Old and new. Owners still have a majority. I mean 2% of 14 Billion will pay a lot of medical bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    Yeah no worries I noticed the forum bug too when quoting Silver but was too lazy to fix it properly. I'll edit it so that it won't confuse anybody,.
    No, I used my Infinity Gauntlet to alter reality...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    LOL. Daniel Effing Snyder is working with the U.S. Congress to slip funding for a new stadium on the old RFK site into the spending bill that's needed to keep the Federal Government open. Guess who pays for it? ALL of us. Every single taxpayer in the United States will see some of his/her income tax pay for the stadium and a massive commercial complex if the party currently in power (the "party of fiscal responsibility", LOL) is able to pull it off. They're rushing to stick it into this bill because they know their chances are a lot slimmer when the new Congress (the "tax and spend party", LOL) is sworn in.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.2ea5919dfb93
    It won't happen. They can try but few are going to puts their butts on the line for the Redskins

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It won't happen. They can try but few are going to puts their butts on the line for the Redskins
    I hope you’re right. Being forced to help that turd make money would be a serious kick in the groin.

It someone has to retire cause of injury i dont think the team should be penalised from a cap prospective

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    It someone has to retire cause of injury i dont think the team should be penalised from a cap prospective
    They do that to avoid teams trying to get a very low cost year for an older player. For example, the Ravens could resign Suggs to a 7 year deal, have his just 1/7 of his bonus against the 2019 cap and then he retires and the team is off the hook for 6/7 of the cap cost.

josh jonson babay

They do that to avoid teams trying to get a very low cost year for an older player. For example, the Ravens could resign Suggs to a 7 year deal, have his just 1/7 of his bonus against the 2019 cap and then he retires and the team is off the hook for 6/7 of the cap cost.
    There are so many reasons fully guarnteed contracts are bad ideas. First of all it really only benefits the star guys. The middling guys are not getting those longterm deals and would be even less likely to with guarnteed money. The thing in these players are the least in need of help they in most cases already got theirs. Smith for example has already made 150 million.

But where is the protection for the guy who blows out a knee early on in their career as a mid round pick and is never heard from again. For example Goose. Those are the guys who need help. Smith should never have a problem financially.

Also it would completely hamstring teams from a cap perspective. If you put in carve outs for injury then the owners are going to want that money deducted from revenue sharing which means players are going to see their salaries clawed back as what happened in the NHL to existing deals when their CBA was negotiated. Is that what players want?

Do they want to subsidize not only the injured guys but guys like Gaither and Monroe who would rather smoke dope? How about Albert Haynesworth? As fan if you see someone with a seven year contract go down how does it effect your fandom? Competitive balance? The reason why the NFL has become so popular is because of the parity and the cap.

The MLB has become boring and the last thing the NFL needs is teams implementing 4-5 year rebuild plans because they are carrying a bunch of bad contracts on the books.

Has suggs an injury in this scenario though? Im strictly talking about situations were a doctor has said to a player he can't play anymore