Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Ed Reed suspended 1 game

I'm in shock. This is absolutely absurd. We are being punished for beating the nfl's golden team

Blog Entries

agreed with bch, there needs to be a clear understanding of when suspension will be levied, not this:

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello says that the suspension does not indicate the presence of a formula, and that every case will be handled based on its own facts and circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    Please don't try to theorize or create a formula for why Ed Reed is being suspended and Ryan Clark hasn't been. It's not possible b/c the NFL is essentially making **** up.
    I am not "theorizing or creating" a formula. I am looking at the league's (apparent) explanation of why Ed was fined and checking it against reality.

Feel free to list the dates of Clark's "defenseless" player hits so I can reach a conclusion about how egregiously the NFL is "making *** up." Don't get me wrong, I am not disputing that the league is or could be making **** up, that would be par for its course. But I would like actual confirmation in terms of the Clark comparison instead of the nebulous "I am sure Clark has 3 such hits over 3 years." Or confirmation that any player has accumulated 3 such hits.

EDIT: It looks like 3 in 3 was "made up" by the media in describing Ed's situation. It would still be helpful in terms of judging the league's nonsense to see how many if any players have a similar "record" as Ed. Does Clark in fact have that many such hits? Anyone?
    Last edited by Haloti92; 11-19-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    agreed with bch, there needs to be a clear understanding of when suspension will be levied, not this:
    Well, I haven't seen the actual text of the league's announcement, but if it said 3 in 3, that appears to be some kind of "formula," even if they randomly use discretion as what counts as part of the 3. In short, why have I heard about 3 in 3 at all? Purely the media's doing? I am really asking (don't know). Sounds like Aeillo is covering his tracks in case people discover other players with similar hit/penalty records.

EDIT: Ok, it does look like 3 in 3 was just something mentioned by the media in describing Ed's "record." If that is the case, then Ed is getting screwed, imo.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 11-19-2012 at 06:34 PM.

The NFL is straight up a crooked organization. The is no other explanation for this other than the NFL trying to keep the Stealers in the race. If you can get suspended for Ed's actions you would see someone getting suspended every single week. Yet I can think of only one (i think he was on the Falcons).

Not crazy about this, but it is what it is, as Billick used to say.

On the other hand, does this represent an opportunity for us? Not so much from the perspective of giving Ed a rest or testing out safeties for Next Man Up, but from the perspective of using the new rules as a weapon. I see two possibilities:

1 - coach WR to lead with their heads, like last night
    2 - throw a disproportionate number of passes at players who are a head shot away from a suspension, on the theory that they'll be less aggressive (similar to driving on a basketball player in foul trouble).

As for Ed being done, I seem to recall Tom Brady in the playoff game having the number of Baltimore safety written on his wrist band.

Amazingly, that safety was not the one who holds the top six listings in my Google search for "Patriot Killer," and ended Brady's season one year.

BS

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Watching it now on ESPN. Complete BS. Suspended for 3 hits to the head. But one hit was in 2010!

The NFL is one big fucking joke.
    I'm sure rooney has a hand in getting Reed suspended. Ravens beat his team and the refs couldn't help the steelers score. Nfl has always looked the other way with the steelers( how many defensive players were wrestled to the ground last night by the steelers oline?).

Quote Originally Posted by CodyPKA View Post
    The NFL is straight up a crooked organization. The is no other explanation for this other than the NFL trying to keep the Stealers in the race. If you can get suspended for Ed's actions you would see someone getting suspended every single week. Yet I can think of only one (i think he was on the Falcons).
    James Harrison got suspended last year for that missile shot on McCoy...According to ESPN, his "rap sheet" was "Harrison's hit on McCoy was his fifth illegal hit against a quarterback in the past three seasons. In addition to the fines he has received for hits on quarterbacks, he also has been fined twice more for unnecessary roughness for other hits during that time period."

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think the defense is better without him out there. I have heard the stats, but it is hard to measure his blown coverages, poor tackling attempts, and how many of his plays were recoveries where he gave up big yardage and ran the receiver down. He should be situational like Ray Lewis. BTW, I think we are better without Ray too, but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    Basically just Ed Reed being a thug. He either can't or won't tackle anymore and is more of a liability out there than an asset. This is actually doing the Ravens a favor - forcing the team to put a better athelete on the field for the Chargers game at least.
    Wow, unbelievable for you to say that. Are you a troll?

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    James Harrison got suspended last year for that missile shot on McCoy...According to ESPN, his "rap sheet" was "Harrison's hit on McCoy was his fifth illegal hit against a quarterback in the past three seasons. In addition to the fines he has received for hits on quarterbacks, he also has been fined twice more for unnecessary roughness for other hits during that time period."
    I stand corrected, but my point is still valid. 2 other players and now Reed. You are telling me that Ed Reed is one of the 3 dirtiest players in the NFL? thats total horse shit

12. Re: Ed Reed suspended 1 game

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Ray Anderson hands down suspensions, not Goodell. He's the one that made this decision.
    This is the PC version the NFL likes to espouse, but the policy has Goodell's hands all over it. I'd say there is a 99.9% chance that Goodell got an email about this and approved of it this morning.

The NFL is really becoming a disgusting politcally correct league run by a bunch of bureaucrats who want to have ultimate control over all aspects of the game.

I love watching football & enjoy going to games, but it is getting real old real fast with all of this nonsense.