Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: I've had enough of Ed Reed's BS

Quote Originally Posted by houstonraven View Post
    how dare he play with a torn labrum and that nerve impingement. What a bum.

And those occasional int's are a pain in the ass. He leads all active players with 60 of them, but wtf dude, you can't lay their injured when dhb scores. That's inexcusable and, damnit, i need you to do better so i feel better!

Right?
    +1: Perfect!

2. Re: I've had enough of Ed Reed's BS

Since Ed has a bad shoulder/neck, why is he going in shoulder/neck first?
    Why not go in chest high, like Ray often does on tackles?

Someone want to explain that one to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    To me Ed has always been an egnima. A great playmaker who will walk into the HOF one day, but does things sometimes that just make you scratch your head. IMO he has never been a great tackler. Not his strong suit. And with this labrum injury he really looks pop warner on most plays where he has to make a tackle by himself. But I must say when the playoffs roll around there is not another FS that I would rather have back there.
    No. Between 2002 and 2005 he was a better tackler than Polamalu in his prime.

Funny how Ed layed wood here..

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Same game. Ed keeps the PATS from getting a TD.

Haters hate to hate.

Injury is causing Ed not to do certain things.

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Low low post OP.

Most players would have retired years ago with the injuries Reed has dealt with. It sucks when your use to an all-world player, but at this point you have to take the bad with the good. It's been said many times, but 50% Ed Reed is better than 100% of what most starting FS's in the league bring.

Edit: P. S. Grow a pair
    You chastise the OP and then show your own immaturity by telling a stranger to grow a pair.

The notion that "50% Ed Reed is better than 100% of what most starting FS's in the league bring" is utter hogwash. No player is that good. Not even Jerry Rice in his prime was that talented. Even if Reed was the player he was from 2008 and back, the upside of his range and "fear factor" on opposing QBs is offset by his horrendous tackling. I mean, we aren't just talking a missed tackle in a bad spot in a game (a la Dawan Landry, who was a really good tackler who just missed a few key tackles in his last year here in 2010). Ed Reed is having a historically awful tackling season. If he misses less than 5 tackles a game, that's above average for him. He is operating with Shaq/Chris Dudley free throw percentages when it comes to tackling. Make a tackle....miss a tackle...make a tackle....miss a tackle.

Today wasn't just the awful tackling effort on the DHB touchdown pass. On the very next drive, he had a pitiful effort along the home sideline that allowed a player (can't recall who) to get an additional 5-6 yards on the end of the play. I had him down as missing 4 tackles today. For any player, future HOFer or not, that's pretty bad. Of course, when you compare it to the 11 missed tackle effort he turned in against the Cowboys, it wasn't that bad after all. He's never been a particularly sound tackler and has always had awful fundamentals when it comes to tackling, so it's no surprise that this injury has taken him from being mediocre to being dreadful.

This isn't a rip Ed Reed thread. I love the guy and hope this isn't his last year in Baltimore. However, he's hurt and these injuries have eroded his abilities so much that I do wonder if there is any benefit for the Ravens to extend him beyond this year. Kudos for playing tough to Ed, but to say that he's not a liability out there right now is a bit of an optimistic appraisal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post

Funny how Ed layed wood here..
    this was the game where he hurt his shoulder. Im not sure what play it was though

Even with some of the things Ed does that make you go "WTF", there is no other FS in the league I would rather have back there.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenMadness View Post
    Ed Reed ‏@TwentyER Thanks for support! I'm good for next week. Just had a bad day. Not perfect, though we try!
    Try he does. Ed Reed always gives 110%. I'm glad he's here

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I am as annoyed as anyone at Ed's inability to tackle (and make no mistake, it's all a result of his nerve impingement), but you have to weigh the good with the bad...and the good still outweighs the bad.

So we basically have a Deion Sanders playing safety...he can still take a lot away in the passing game by just having QB's avoid him.

He is approaching the end very fast though...you can see that sometimes Ed's body isn't able to jump the routes his mind takes him to.
    +1

Father Time is definitely catching up to him. My only issue with him is maybe he tries too hard to stay on the field when hurt.

But to call the guy a bum or a drama queen? Very low shot, IMO

Blog Entries

How anyone can call Reed out for missing a tackle after all he's done for this team is beyond me, and somewhat sickens me. This is the NFL, of course you are going to miss tackles when your 35 years old and have had long term injury issues with your shoulder, but where will some of you be when Reed nabs his next important interception, which could even be next week to potentially seal a win against the Steelers just as an example? Show some respect.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

PB-74--
    You asked, "Since Ed has a bad shoulder/neck, why is he going in shoulder/neck first?
    Why not go in chest high, like Ray often does on tackles?" Very fair questions.

I can't say I know the answers, but FWIW--

Assuming Reed does indeed have a torn labrum, it can explain why he's playing the way he is. I've posted in this thread and before in others that his technique (defending, tackling, etc.) appears odd to me for much of the season. As an example, see RQB's first video link of the hit in the NE game. Reed makes a weird looking hit (at least from my perspective), but levels the guy. That doesn't look like "normal" tackling technique, and contrary to urban legend is not the way Reed has usually made tackles over the years.

This leads to your questions about why Reed doesn't go in chest high. No expert here, but if I were to guess, it could be that, despite a torn labrum, there may be a "sweet spot" (or angle, or approach, or whatever) for Reed's shoulder that DOESN'T create pain or issues when he goes in to hit/tackle a guy, thus creating an unusual way for him to play.

Not basing this on anything terribly concrete, more just a gut feeling.