Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

what do you attribute the ravens success to?

the ravens have one of the toughest schedules in the league.

The Ravens offense ranks 21st in yards per game (338.7) and the defense is 25th in yards allowed per game (382.3).

yet we are 8-2. it has to be the culture on the team of a hard hitting team first mentality.

besides jones's punt return for a TD the biggest play in the pissburg game was pollard seperating the ball from cotchery with his hard hit at midfield with 24 seconds left. if that perfect pass was caught the steelers had a chance for a tying FG with one more completion.

the ravens just know how to win.

Blog Entries
    I agree.

I think that the red zone defense cannot be overlooked. Teams can rack up yards all day long, but points win games...not yards.

Second, the offense has made plays when they had to. It isnt the high flying circus we see in Green Bay, but it works and they have found ways to win.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: what do you attribute the ravens success to?

People put far too much stock in yardage rankings. They really don't mean a lot.

Blog Entries

Yardage means jackshit. We are 7th in PPG on offense and 5th in PPG allowed by the D. THOSE are the stats that matter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Yardage means jackshit. We are 7th in PPG on offense and 5th in PPG allowed by the D. THOSE are the stats that matter.
    Bingo. I believe the redzone D is still ranked first, and the offense redzone efficiency is up there. Points >> yards

Making plays on both sides when it counted (for the most part).

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Honestly it has to be Flacco.

I think that every player in that locker room believes that Joe can bring us back in any game.
    He may never lead the NFL in any QB statistic, but there is no doubt that he can win the big games for us.
    Aside from two games he has delivered whenever we have needed him this year.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post
    Honestly it has to be Flacco.

I think that every player in that locker room believes that Joe can bring us back in any game.
    He may never lead the NFL in any QB statistic, but there is no doubt that he can win the big games for us.
    Aside from two games he has delivered whenever we have needed him this year.
    It is flacco. Some people don't want to admit it but he's been the constant here since 08. We've historically had a good defense but we haven't won consistently until flacco.

He delivered in the eagles game but the replacement refs took away a td.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    It is flacco. Some people don't want to admit it but he's been the constant here since 08. We've historically had a good defense but we haven't won consistently until flacco.

He delivered in the eagles game but the replacement refs took away a td.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea the Jones TD should have counted, but Joe had a chance at the end and he failed. Not a big deal since nobody is perfect in comebacks.

Whats crazy is that the Ravens have a very real chance of finishing with the best record or even tied for it. If that happens you won't find one person picking or even suggesting Flacco for MVP.
    Everyone has ragged on our defense, for good reason, all year and yet we keep winning. Flacco is the reason.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Stats only tell a part of the story.

The 2012 Baltimore Ravens seem to be a team that just cares about wins. No matter how they get there, no matter how many yards they give up or gain, all they want is a win. This is truly a team. Each man playing for the other.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

As I have contended in another thread I believe we are seeing the effects of a truly well rounded effort - not super in any one area but excellent in most. And that includes things like front office, cap control, depth of players, drafting, ownership - as well as all the things that happen during the 60 minutes of play.

The totality of the effort is what makes a winner. When one part of the team fails a bit, other parts rise to help out.

Offensively

We basically are creating the same amount of offense, with a bit more pass, and a bit less run - but more efficient in the red zone.

Red Zone Eff..
    2011 51.02%
    2012 61.29%

Turnovers..
    2011 1.5/gm
    2012 0.9/gm

Through 10 games in 2011, we had 18 TOs... 10 games in 2012... 9 TOs

Defensively

Opponents Red Zone Eff..
    2011 38.10%
    2012 35.14%

Through 10 games in 2011 29 red zone attempts, through 10 games in 2012... 37 - more attempts, less efficiency for opponents :)

Turnovers..
    2011 1.63/gm
    2012 2.10/gm

We had 26 INT/FR on D all last (regular) season, and if you recall (I bet you do), 7 of those were in the first game. We have 21 this year through 10 games.

What they have lacked in other areas, they made up for, albeit some close calls.

STs
    Return threat speaks for itself...

On the negative side:

Sacks
    2011 3.0/gm
    2012 1.67/gm

I think we see more pressure as Suggs and Ngata get healthier - which we will need with the list of QBs we are about to face..