Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Dean Pees -- Props or Blame?

I thought Pees out-schemed the Browns in the second half.....without the defensive adjustments we were going to lose that game. Nice job coach DP.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Re: Props to Dean Pees

I may be in the minority but Pees gets no love from me with a 28th rank defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    I may be in the minority but Pees gets no love from me with a 28th rank defense.
    +1

Blog Entries

Well, we probably would have won either way. Aside from the texans game, the Ravens offense ALWAYS scores a touchdown when they NEED to, and never anytime else.

+2

He gets a pat on the back from me for his squad not giving up a TD but this as far as I go.

There are still serious issues on defense, namely lack of blitzing and an effective pass rush.

We haven't got the horses right now guys......we are lucky we are where we are.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Dean Pees IMO deserves a large portion of the blame.

I'm not saying it's all on Dean Pees for our ineffective pass rush, there is a serious lack of talent at certain positions on this team, mainly at nose tackle and corner, but Dean Pees really doesn't help things. If you look at Cincy for example, they get a bunch of sacks, with not many effective pass rushers, Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins are their only players who can really get any kind of pressure on the QB, but Mike Zimmer puts them in position to get sacks from everywhere, and he dials up some really exotic blitzes.

I have defended Pees up to this point, but after watching tape of the Cleveland game, I am now convinced that Pees simply is not working for this defense. I wonder if it's worth giving Ted a go at taking over this D now and see how it goes, maybe bring some energy to this unit that was once among the elite. Pees rushes 7 players at times, but they are just direct blitzes and easy to pick up, I never see stunts or anything like that, even with Suggs back we couldn't generate much against Cleveland. You can't tell me that Cory Redding and JJ really made THAT much difference as pass rushers, when both of them had less sacks than their replacements who were only rotational players (McPhee and Kruger.).

This is is a worth while debate, and I'm still not entirely sure on the matter, but I think it's time for a change in DC's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    We haven't got the horses right now guys......we are lucky we are where we are.
    I disagree.

Losing Redding and JJ is a big deal, no doubt, but a majority of this defense was here last year and almost every current starter was a starter last year and/or played a significant amount.

Pees just isn't using the guys like Pags did. Plain and simple.

Case and point: The secondary. What looked like a strong press-man unit last year has quickly turned into a unit that gives up 8-10 yards a pop because the corners are playing so far off the receiver.

I thought the D stepped up nicely in the 2nd half yesterday, but it was also against the Browns and a QB who refused to throw it to his 1st read almost every snap. I don't know if you guys caught any of the commentary or not, but they were flipping out regarding how Brandon Weeden was literally passing over guys like Massequoi and Watson who were uncovered underneath on SEVERAL plays. If the Browns had a QB who could spread it around effectively, that likely would have been a very different game.

On the plus side, I will say that Jimmy Smith did a nice job on Massequoi and Greg Little because those guys didn't even register a reception IIRC. They pretty much picked on Cary Williams.

Frankly, I agree with Smoove on this one. The 28th ranked defense is nothing to be pleased about and a lot of it is because of Pees.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Dean Pees IMO deserves a large portion of the blame.

I don't want to imply that its not worthy of debate, but Pee's isn't going to be"fired" mid-season.

While it definitely sucks when the defense under-performs, I've let go of any expectations and am just riding this season out.

Blog Entries

NOLA you are right, but at the same time where is the creativity? When Del rio had the jags yea they were a bad team but their defense was pretty solid, he had lemons and squeezed alot out of nothing. there's no creativity, no aggressive nature, no stunts, no confusion just a plain scheme, its eerily similar to mattisons defense.

here we go...
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

NOLA you are right, but at the same time where is the creativity? When Del rio had the jags yea they were a bad team but their defense was pretty solid, he had lemons and squeezed alot out of nothing. there's no creativity, no aggressive nature, no stunts, no confusion just a plain scheme, its eerily similar to mattisons defense.
    It really is amazing that you can take virtually the same defense and they fall from top 5 to bottom 5. Our talent might not be as good as it was in it's hey day but damn man, it's not that bad. Good coaches find a way to get the most out of their players. Pees is not maximizing the talent on our defense. If we have to have freaking 1st round picks at every position on defense, your NEVER going to be good.