Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Way Too Early 2013 Draft/FA Thread: Fixing the Defense

Connor Barwin is on my short list for FA pick ups next season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I could see him getting tagged unless the Texans have someone behind him they really like.

I like Barwin too. I don't know if it would work though considering that Upshaw likely will be starting next year with Suggs...and Barwin is too good and will cost too much to be a situational guy.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

He will be a Texan IMO, unless they feel the need to re do watts deal 2 years in... They don't have any big name free agents to re sign this year unlike last year when they had 5 or 6.

Blog Entries

Bet Indy goes at him hard.

I really do not see a huge need for OLB. Suggs will be back at 100% and Upshaw looks to be locking down the SAM spot. At MOST I think they could do with a 3rd down/nickel rush guy like what Kruger was last year, but why sign Barwin to a big contract to do that? I think it'd be better to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a high-upside guy to develop into a future starter and let him get his feet wet only playing in pass rush situations. (Essentially, what they SHOULD have done with Kruger from the very beginning.)

There are more pressing needs when you consider that we literally do not have a starting FS next year without signing Ed Reed, and although it pains me to say it, I do not believe that is the best course of action for this team in 2013 and beyond. We will also be very weak at ILB.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am totally predicating my vision for 2013 on NOT having Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. That's another viable question--after really thinking hard about it, where do they fit into that picture? Do they fit at all? I would contend they do not. The Ravens have already depended on those two to anchor the defense one year too long.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    He will be a Texan IMO, unless they feel the need to re do watts deal 2 years in... They don't have any big name free agents to re sign this year unlike last year when they had 5 or 6.
    Yeah they do. JJ Watt is a FA after this year and they are looking to back the cash truck up.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I really do not see a huge need for OLB. Suggs will be back at 100% and Upshaw looks to be locking down the SAM spot. At MOST I think they could do with a 3rd down/nickel rush guy like what Kruger was last year, but why sign Barwin to a big contract to do that? I think it'd be better to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a high-upside guy to develop into a future starter and let him get his feet wet only playing in pass rush situations. (Essentially, what they SHOULD have done with Kruger from the very beginning.)

There are more pressing needs when you consider that we literally do not have a starting FS next year without signing Ed Reed, and although it pains me to say it, I do not believe that is the best course of action for this team in 2013 and beyond. We will also be very weak at ILB.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am totally predicating my vision for 2013 on NOT having Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. That's another viable question--after really thinking hard about it, where do they fit into that picture? Do they fit at all? I would contend they do not. The Ravens have already depended on those two to anchor the defense one year too long.
    dont we have too many holes to release them both.

We nee two dline men, possibly an olb depending on Kruger. We will need at least one ilb, and one cb with Cary going. We will need IMO at least one oline man depending on what way they shuffle it.

If we let go of ed and ray that's another two positions we need to fill. That's a lot of holes.

Yeah they do. JJ Watt is a FA after this year and they are looking to back the cash truck up.
    is he not only in the second year of his deal?

He signed a four year deal, so has two years after this remaining. And wasn't it part of the cba that you can't renegotiate the new rookie deals?

is he not only in the second year of his deal?

He signed a four year deal, so has two years after this remaining. And wasn't it part of the cba that you can't renegotiate the new rookie deals?
    You're correct. My bad.

They are up against the cap next year though. Not sure they are going to be able to afford Barwin.

dont we have too many holes to release them both.

We nee two dline men, possibly an olb depending on Kruger. We will need at least one ilb, and one cb with Cary going. We will need IMO at least one oline man depending on what way they shuffle it.

If we let go of ed and ray that's another two positions we need to fill. That's a lot of holes.
    First of all, Ed is an FA, so it's not "letting him go." He's gone, the question is does he represent the best use of the money we'll need to spend on a replacement (or is it better to use an early draft pick on a rookie starter?) I would contend he does not. If I'm wrong, I'd be happy to be wrong. Ed Reed is my all-time favorite Raven, but I just don't think he should be back next year.

Ray Lewis is under contract, but he doesn't come all that cheaply and he's not one of the best at his position anymore. I can see the argument for keeping him, and if he wants to come back the Ravens will probably have him back, but he's not the solution at the position, not at all. They need to address ILB one of these years and they're already a few years too late.

I really don't see a huge problem at CB. Webb should be back at full strength, and Jimmy Smith will surely be given at least another year. They like Chykie Brown, Corey Graham is locked up for a few more years as a solid #3 option, and they just drafted Asa Jackson. I don't see them doing all that much at CB.

Blog Entries

Watt signed a 2 year deal as a rookie?