When Webb returns

I think we will have enough depth at corner so I think we should consider moving him to safety as Eds replacement. He has played the position before and already hits like one. As long as he is on the field he will make plays . I know he is a star corner but I see the potential in him to be a top safety in the league. Eds replacement would be taken care of so it wouldn't be a Lewis situation with no one in the wings. The corners we have will be solid once the dline is addressed. Just a thought.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Re: When Webb returns

Quote Originally Posted by grandraven View Post
    I think we will have enough depth at corner so I think we should consider moving him to safety as Eds replacement. He has played the position before and already hits like one. As long as he is on the field he will make plays . I know he is a star corner but I see the potential in him to be a top safety in the league. Eds replacement would be taken care of so it wouldn't be a Lewis situation with no one in the wings. The corners we have will be solid once the dline is addressed. Just a thought.

This idea has been brought up more times then I have hairs on my head. If Webb comes back close to 100% you absolutely DO NOT move him to safety. He's a true shutdown corner, which is as rare as a true #1 starter in baseball. Most teams don't have them and they're far more important then safeties. He will still be 28 yrs old. IMHO if he's close to his former self (and you have to give him time. remember he wasn't great when he first came back last time) you don't even consider moving him to safety until he's in his 30's and starting to lose a step.

No offense, but this comes up every couple of months and there's pretty much two responses:

"I agree"

And

"You're fucking nuts."

And no one ever convinces anyone go switch sides.

That said, this second ACL makes me think it's an even worse idea. Clearly Webby has a certain..."brittleness" to his ligaments. I can't see how putting him a spot that will require extra pounding on his body will in any way prolong his career.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

You all may be right but it also depends on how the corners we have perform this year. As long as he is on the field I'm good because he is a play maker. I just see great instincts of a safety. But he is a shut down corner. I just think he would be a great center fielder. I'm good either way as long as he is on the field. As far as the wear and tear from the two tears , he hits like a linebacker at corner anyway so the physical toll will be endured anyway.

Blog Entries

Where is the CB depth? Cary Williams is probably departing at the end of this year, because the Ravens aren't going to pay him what some team out there will. I guess you are expecting Graham and Brown and Jackson to step up? Stranger things have happened, I guess. I'd love to see it but even if they wanted to, I don't think they are going to be in position to move him there yet.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Not only should we keep Webb at CB where he is a superstar (assuming he returns at 100%, with no guarantee there), we're still going to need to spend another high draft pick on a CB next year... even if Cary Williams stays. This team's defensive depth is obviously lacking, but given the money that will be tied up in our upper echelon (Flacco, Rice, Suggs, Ngata, Webb, Yanda at a minimum), I wouldn't expect us to be major players in free agency. And that's assuming a bunch of cap-friendly outcomes (Ray retires, is released or returns at a reduced price; Reed retires, is released or returns at a reduced price; Cary Williams comes back but at a reasonable price). Oher will need a new contract in a year, Torrey in two years. We will need to draft a promising player at all four levels of the defense in the next draft and maybe take another OL (depending on the progression of our young reserves to take over for Birk and Bobbie Williams).

The good news is that we will be set at skill positions for a little while, if players stay healthy and neither Boldin nor Jacoby Jones declines. The bad news is that we've sacrificed almost everything else to make that happen.

Chykie Brown now has millions at stake.......
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Really the answer depends on Webb when he comes back.

If he needs a year to get back to 100% which can be the case with an ACL then maybe you consider it if your comfortable with your depth at CB and you have the need at Safety.

That said, I am gonna bet that he is close enough that he will be ok to play at CB. If he is physically able to play the position then thats were he should play IMO.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Well ...the last time webb tore his acl it took him a full season to get back to 100%. He was not at full speed in 2010 (he tore it in 2009) and he took a lot of criticism from a lot of posters around here that year. I wouldnt expect a 100% webb until 2014 and of course there is always the possibility that he never regains form. It is really unfortunate, especially since we have so much money tied up in him over the next few years. Here is to hoping for a speedy recovery. The only thing that could really soften the blow is if jimmy smith starts ballin and lives up to that first round pedigree.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Chykie Brown now has millions at stake.......
    He's not a free agent until 2015. Those millions are 3 years away