Why is BA feilding groundballs in front of onsides kick?

Shouldnt they have someone with better hands than him charging the ball? A WR, A TE, A RB or DB? BA? Really? I know he is a special teamer but get a good hands guy thier. Outside of kick return of Jones and the punter our Special teams coach has to go.

Blog Entries

Re: Why is BA feilding groundballs in front of onsides kick?

Got me. I'm no ST guru but I assume BA's role there is to block the incoming tide in the event of a roller up the middle, and somebody behind him (Graham I think it was?) is supposed to be the ball picker upper. Maybe not tho. I agree, there should be no scenario in which BA or any other LB is primarily responsible for fielding the ball on an onsides kick no matter WHERE it is placed.

Blog Entries

The guys up front are supposed to block while the guys behind them are supposed to field the ball. They had boldin on one side and doss on the other. I think they were caught off guard when the cowboys kicked it right up the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    The guys up front are supposed to block while the guys behind them are supposed to field the ball. They had boldin on one side and doss on the other. I think they were caught off guard when the cowboys kicked it right up the middle.
    :word

That was my impression also. BA has to just fall on that and not try to pick it up. He is a smart guy, he wont make that mistake again.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis