Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ravens focused on beating Press Coverage.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,1281834.story

"You have to win those first 5 yards. It's really about the first 7 yards now," offensive coordinator Cam Cameron said last week. "You better be able to run through those 7 yards, get yourself free, get yourself clean, get some separation so Joe can get the ball out."

The wide receivers were also greeted Wednesday with press coverage from tall, long-armed cornerbacks Cary Williams and Jimmy Smith, who tried to jam them at the line of scrimmage

Offense working on getting off jams while DB's working on jamming wideouts, I'm hopeful this trend continues throughout the season.

Re: Ravens focused on beating Press Coverage.

Nice to see us catching up with the times *smh*

Blog Entries

This is a good sign, because it shows that the team recognizes the key issues on both sides of the ball. The Ravens have struggled against the press for years. Defensively, they will have to blitz more to generate pressure, which likely means more press coverage. They actually did a good job last week.

I mean, it's not as if they're stupid. I'm sure they knew the issue. This is probably more comforting for fans, because we actually get to hear that they are working on it. You know how us fans can be.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

No wonder the receivers aren't used to press coverage. They were getting ye olde OLAY! by the corners in practice.
    Last edited by Paintballguy; 10-11-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Man, it would be nice to see Cary and Jimmy rough the Cowboy's wr's up like they are doing ours this week.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Nice to see us catching up with the times *smh*
    Yeah, the book on stopping our pass game had been re-written from Cover 2 to press coverage. Also nice to know that they have intoduced the notion of front end physicality to our DBs.

Now about the page that says going no-huddle beats the Ravens' defense...

Blog Entries

It is true. The book on how to beat this team has been written and unchanged for a while. The only minor change is that the offense is playing much better against different cover-2 schemes. So, unless you have a legitimate four man rush, that won't work anymore.

The problem for opposing teams is that the Ravens are so good, there are few teams that can execute the plan for four quarters. To beat the Ravens, far more often than not, you have to bring it for four quarters. That is tough to do.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I recall press coverage being an issue last year as well. I just wish Cam would put more motion in the offense taking turns with Torrey, Jacoby and Anquan. That's one way to combat press coverages

Blog Entries

The Ravens have more trouble with separation than any team in the league. It's nice talk but does anyone actually believe that Cam just figured out how to make it work?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    This is a good sign, because it shows that the team recognizes the key issues on both sides of the ball. The Ravens have struggled against the press for years. Defensively, they will have to blitz more to generate pressure, which likely means more press coverage. They actually did a good job last week.

I mean, it's not as if they're stupid. I'm sure they knew the issue. This is probably more comforting for fans, because we actually get to hear that they are working on it. You know how us fans can be.
    :word From a fan standpoint I just needed to know that the team recognized what a problem this was and are at least attempting to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Ravens have more trouble with separation than any team in the league. It's nice talk but does anyone actually believe that Cam just figured out how to make it work?
    That's what chaps me.
    Harbs is quoted in another article as such...

Article

Harbaugh said they can use bunch routes, motion to stacked receivers and rubs, where two receivers closely cross one another in hopes of delaying the trailing cornerback. The Chiefs illegally did that move twice Sunday, once resulting in a touchdown being called back.

All three maneuvers are intended to create chaos for defenders. It can be more difficult to keep tight containment throughout traffic.

“Stacks, rubs, just one-on-one nine routes against press coverage to get past a guy; those are things that we can do better,” Harbaugh said. “We’ve done that pretty well at times this year.”
    First, I'm not so sure it's been done "well", so far, but did they just figure that play calling makes a difference too? Or is Harbs saying to the fans, 'hey, both strategically and tactically I know what we SHOULD be doing to counter press coverage and we ARE indeed working on it'? And does this pretty much confirm that Cammie cannot make proper adjustments IN-GAME?

Either way, what the hell took so long? Assuming the play calling (i.e., formations) change, I hope we can execute.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 10-11-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Cause sometimes I don't say everything I want to on the first try...

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Their receivers coach has to take ownership as well. Jim Hostler is a name that needs to be called out more often on this board. By now you would think he would have taught some kind of technique on getting around press coverage. At every position, scheme and technique need to be in synch.