Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Some stats at the quarter pole....dissecting what they mean

We don't have a dominant defense anymore. They need help from the offense. That was demonstrated perfectly in the NE game. When the offense put together drives, the defense made stops. When the offense stalled, the defense gave up drives.

Cameron, Flacco, and the offense need to help out the defense these days. We're not used to that in Baltimore, but the days of "give us 10 points and we'll win the game" are finished...or at least in hiatus.

Excellent post LukeDaniel. Thanks for digging up the stats dude!

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    The Ravens defense has faced 291 offensive plays this year, tied for 3rd most. By comparison, the Texans (arguably the AFC's best defense) have only had 232. Those extra 59 plays are nearly a games-worth of defensive snaps that the Ravens have faced over a team like Houston. No wonder we are towards the bottom in the league in yards/game allowed.
    So basically we are on pace to play 20 games worth of defensive plays. That would support the theory held by some that bend-but-don't-break D's may be too gassed by the end of the year to make a good playoff run. I agree with others that our stats are skewed a bit from playing Vick and Brady already and our 3rd down efficiency will improve. One thing is sure; the Ravens D is not the same as we've been used too, but thankfully neither is our O.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Blog Entries

It really goes hand in hand. A quick strike offense is naturally going to put strain on your D as their on the field much more. Typically those type of offenses that succeed have defenses that are built around creating turnovers, look at the Saints their superbowl year, or even the Giants for examples.

Bottom line, without Suggs in there we aren't as good a D.

Blog Entries

Our D has sort of the opposite problem of the one Mattison had to manage. During Mattison's time as coordinator, our secondary was suspect so he had to scale back on blitzes to protect it. He took a lot of misguided heat from fans because of it, imo.

This year, the secondary is a strength, but it's not to the level of the '06 defense. As the year goes on, I think we'll see more sacks because of coverage and Pees will be able to get more creative. We'll see a semi-revival of "controlled chaos" before the year is out, I think. Smith has too much talent not to muscle his way in, and Williams looks even better as a third corner. Webb is a gamebreaker. Reed is still dangerous, and Pollard is a thumper whose pass defense is better than advertised when he came here.

As we've seen for the better part of the last 10 years, how a team is performing doesn't mean jack outside of the last 4-6 weeks of the season.

This team is not yet what it's going to be...especially the defense, and that's assuming a worse case scenario of getting nothing special out of Suggs when he comes back.

G3
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    As we've seen for the better part of the last 10 years, how a team is performing doesn't mean jack outside of the last 4-6 weeks of the season.

This team is not yet what it's going to be...especially the defense, and that's assuming a worse case scenario of getting nothing special out of Suggs when he comes back.

G3
    One of the big problems for the defense is the Ravens no longer have a ball control offense.

Sure, they have some playmakers and can score from anywhere on the field, but they don't do well at grinding out the tough yards and moving the chains. In fact they seem pretty bad at it.

Throwing a 60 yard bomb on your second play from scrimmage is nice, but you are trotting your defense right back out there tired. And if you can only do that occasionally, and are punting most of the game, well, its going to wear out your defense. Putting up 16 offensive points vs the Browns isn't really a bright sign of things to come.

The teams with the best defense usually have an offense that can rack up a lot of first downs and dominate the time of possession. The Ravens aren't that kind of team any more.

Blog Entries

Slightly o/t, but how much of the inability of the pass rush to get home is neither players alone nor scheme alone, but both--the inability of the D to disguise the scheme well enough to create mismatches in pass protection? My untrained eye has seen very few instances where blitzing Ravens haven't been picked up pretty smoothly, & rushers from outside who haven't been picked up haven't been able to reach the QB before the pass is off.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    Excellent post LukeDaniel. Thanks for digging up the stats dude!

So basically we are on pace to play 20 games worth of defensive plays. That would support the theory held by some that bend-but-don't-break D's may be too gassed by the end of the year to make a good playoff run. I agree with others that our stats are skewed a bit from playing Vick and Brady already and our 3rd down efficiency will improve. One thing is sure; the Ravens D is not the same as we've been used too, but thankfully neither is our O.
    And that is why totals are completely irrelevant, and averages are what you need to look at.....in ANY stat.

Very misleading numbers with all of those plays.

Ya know, I was thinking of mentioning our offense as a culprit in our defensive lackings, but didn't want to ramble on any longer than I had already. Our offense has been highly efficient in terms of yards collected, but they seem to come in huge clumps and I think that might be a detriment to the defense. When the offense is clicking, we have a lot of 3-4 minute scoring drives. When it's not, we have a lot of very quick drives. That has to impact the defense in some way, but I'm not sure what stats would support this theory.
    I, too, have wondered if our no huddle, an offense designed in large part to gas opposing defenses, might not be gassing our defense.

Quote Originally Posted by cjandreze
    The problem is still Suggs is not in there. Last year with Suggs in you had two guys (Suggs, Ngata) taking up 4 OLinemen, leaving McPhee or Kruger one on one on most 3rd downs on the other side.
    Realistically, Suggsy when he comes back is not immediately going to be in DPOY form. But, yes, at least he will occupy blockers giving others a better shot a pass rush.

something to keep in mind; the competition. Bengals / Iggles / Pats all have good offenses. giving up 16 to Brownies? meh. Chefs will be a good barometer; if they get 20 or so points I'd be worried.
    quick strike/score offenses inevitably lead to more opportunities for the opposition. that's why we see scores like 40-24 in games that really aren't that close. I agree, the 10-point era is probly over, which isn't good or bad, just is.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Well....

After today, our offense dropped from 2nd in the league in scoring all the way to 10th.

We also dropped to 8th in pass offense and currently stand 13th in rush yards/game. We are 5th in yard per carry at 4.9

Despite the poor first half, our run defense only dropped from 3.2 YPC to 3.5 YPC, which is still tied for 6th in the league. Yet, the Ravens are 20th in the NFL in rush yards per game allowed. A lot of that is the byproduct of having allowed 170 rush attempts so far, which is fourth in the league. By comparison, the teams ahead of them in rush attempts allowed have been fairly porous (JAX 173 attempts, 4.7 YPCA New Orleans 172 attempts, 5.0 YPCA Tennessee 172 attempts, 4.2 YPCA).

The Ravens are 22nd in yards allowed against the pass (up about 5 spots from last week). Yet, they are 7th overall in points allowed. Today's game only widens the gap between their quantitative stats (which are quite poor) and their qualitative stats (which are perfectly acceptable). All their qualitative stats, including their QB rating against of 74.6 (8th best in league) are fine.

Today is another great example of what I referenced above, as the Chiefs outgained the Ravens 338-298, yet their per-play average was a good bit lower (4.97 to 5.84 for Baltimore). The Chiefs had 50 running plays while the Ravens had 51 plays overall. That, again, shows that this whole struggle we've had with time of possession. For the 2nd straight week, I don't think you can attribute the play disparity in failure to stop the opposition on 3rd down. I think more and more that I'm zeroing in on the quick nature of so many of the Raven offensive drives as to the culprit for the high yard allowed totals. The only reason we are allowing so many yards is because our opponents occupy the ball for so much time that the yards are bound to come, despite our well-above-average efficient effort at handling them.

The Ravens are 22nd in yards allowed against the pass (up about 5 spots from last week). Yet, they are 7th overall in points allowed. Today's game only widens the gap between their quantitative stats (which are quite poor) and their qualitative stats (which are perfectly acceptable). All their qualitative stats, including their QB rating against of 74.6 (8th best in league) are fine.
    This is also a perfect example of why attempting to analyze stats early in the season is pointless. Too small a sample size. One good/bad game and you end up projecting all sorts of ridiculousness.