Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

jacoby jones, i owe you an apology...

I was not happy with the signing at the time. Noting his suspect hands that have been a continual problem for him as well as our FOs quote about "finding wrs that can catch", making him not a match for us. I thought it speed would keeps defenses honest but his actual contributions would be minimal.

I was wrong.

I honestly think hes been one of our most reliable wrs. Id have to find a catch/target ratio, but it really seems like hes caught just about everything thats come his way thats been catchable (minus that one punt to make us all skip a beat). Add in the PI penalties hes gotten (and wrongfully called for) and you have an integral part of a 2-1 (could be 3-0) team. Hes been a great addition and far exceeding my expectations in this young season. Kudos, jacoby jones.
    -JAB

Re: jacoby jones, i owe you an apology...

I didn't mind this signing..I was for having any receiver that the FO would feel comfortable putting out on the field so we could finally run 3 WR sets on a consistent basis. That was important for our offense going forward and wow he has been big. He just needs to keep up consistency so this one sticks. It would be wonderful to have another reliable play making receiver like Torrey moving forward for this year and beyond.

Blog Entries

I think Jacoby has been huge for the offense. He gives the offense another homerun threat, and he can get some 1-1 coverages that he can exploit. He had some big time catches last night.

Blog Entries

Jacoby Jones has been perfect in his role from the 1st snap of the season. Whatever issues he had in preseason stayed in the preseason. Pat Kirwin said it was one of the best signings of the offseason when it happened and I thought he was nuts. Looks like old Pat knew what he was talking about

Blog Entries

Ex has gotta jump on this thread too. Yeah, JJ looked solid last night, great contributions. What a game

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

More importantly for Jones, he's a magnet for contact down the field. When the real refs get back he and Torrey will be drawing PI, left and right.

I give credit when credit is due. Jacoby had probably been our best receiver until last night. HOWEVER, Texans fans were frustrated by him for a reason. He looks great now but I am keeping the expectations in check.

Having always said "Jones is the #3 until he proves he isn't", I'm definitely pleased with his production to-date.
    I have to look at the numbers, but Jones might be our most productive receiver ( that is, over Pitta)... counting DPIs, and if you wipeout that phantom call in Philly.

16 games to go though...

From my SGIII
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

I remember all the angst and hand-wringing by some, and hearing that Jones would just be another Lee Evans who will let us down in the end. No knowing a lot about Jones, I am glad those people have been wrong so far.

The guy has been clutch, and always seem like he is out to get those Yards after the Catch (YAC). He seems to have good hands, and he brings some energy to our offense. Jones looks like the perfect compliment to Smith. No wonder he is the #3 WR over our young talent.

I hope he continues to play well.

I too griped about the Jones signing but I can admit when I am wrong. He seems to have brought value to our team so I will eat my humble pie now. I just hope he keeps it up.

When he slightly muffed the punt I just about died!!

Real happy to see him put it together here though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    When he slightly muffed the punt I just about died!!

Real happy to see him put it together here though.
    Agreed on all points. He still worries me, but he's looked like a great fit through 3 games. He definitely looks stronger in attacking and gripping the football and ripping it out of the sky than he used to, and if he keeps that up I have no concerns about him as the #3 WR -- definitely adds a big dimension that we lacked, so I agree he's a really good pickup for us in that role.

As a returner however....

The muffed punt should be a reminder, and a warning. If it's late in a tight game, and you are most likely looking at a fair catch scenario (as we were in that situation, Mesko is a great punter and was working on a short field) you put your best hands back there, not your "breakaway threat" who statistically has about a 1.5% chance of busting one, but also a chance of coughing it up and robbing your offense of the chance to drive the field. The way our offense is NOW, the last thing you want to do is lose that chance. Maybe 4-5 years ago we go for the return knowing our offense will never do shit, but that was then. Now we have an offense we know can drive it down the field fast, so there is no more need to gamble in the return game AT ALL.

With the blizzard of insanity going on in that 4th quarter, it's easy to look past that play because he did fall on it, but it could damn well have been ballgame over right there.

Just about every Texans fan here says the same thing ...

"Just wait"

I agree with them to an extent. This is exactly what he did in Houston. His amazing games were followed with just some real head-scratchers.