Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pat Kirwin On Flacco's contract.

Did anyone else hear Pat Kirwin talking about Joe contract situation yesterday? It sounded to me like he said He said he sat down with Joe for about 15 minutes in private and got a feel that he is comfortable waiting until the Ravens come up to the number he wants. He believes if he has the season he thinks he can have, the Ravens will come to it. He then said he had a long conversation with someone he trusts in the FO and believes the team has a 5 year $80 million deal on the table at this time, but thinks Joe is waiting for them to come to 5 year, $90 million with about $40 million guaranteed. Kirwin seemed to believe the team is comfortable at that level if Joe performs like he did this week.

Said the Shaub deal did not come into play because they are already way past that. He did mention more than once the base line is $1 million per game.

I am not shocked by these numbers, but I was thinking that floor was closer to the ceiling, unless the years were higher.

Blog Entries

Re: Pat Kirwin On Flacco's contract.

I'd be surprised if it was only a 5 year deal but it's possible that's what Flacco wants since he'll still be young enough to get another big contract at 32

Blog Entries

5yrs is short i would much rather a 10yr deal, bottom line its gonna be about 90mil to keep joe here and he plays like he did on monday all season theres no question about it.

If this is our guy at QBn(not any doubt), the # of years start at six and definately $100 million at the least. If he can become consistent and play like this first game more often, we will still have underpaid him.

Blog Entries

I'm not expecting him, or the team, to play like that every game. Hell I'm not expecting it in week 2. So there is no reason for them not to let this play out over the season.

That being said, he's gonna get paid

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    If this is our guy at QBn(not any doubt), the # of years start at six and definately $100 million at the least. If he can become consistent and play like this first game more often, we will still have underpaid him.
    I get the sense that the guaranteed money is more the priority for Flacco, so the 5 year vs. 6 year isn't really a big deal.

In the greater scheme of things why would the Ravens object (and I don't know that they do) - and therefore drag Joe's contract negotiations out - to paying Joe $18 Million a year ($90M for 5 years). The difference in money at this level is chump change. They paid Billick $5M a year for 3 years for doing nothing (I realize this money doesn't impact the salary cap). If he's worth $16Million a year, he's worth $18 Million a year. This is a no brainer - just get the deal done and get Joe signed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    In the greater scheme of things why would the Ravens object (and I don't know that they do) - and therefore drag Joe's contract negotiations out - to paying Joe $18 Million a year ($90M for 5 years). The difference in money at this level is chump change. They paid Billick $5M a year for 3 years for doing nothing (I realize this money doesn't impact the salary cap). If he's worth $16Million a year, he's worth $18 Million a year. This is a no brainer - just get the deal done and get Joe signed
    I think you answered your own question. It's the same reason they blindsided McKinnie at the last minute. It all comes down to cap space and $2 million a year matters. Honestly I don't see the Ravens winning that battle anyway so eventually they'll cave but they're going to fight to try and get the best cap deal possible.

They can manipulate the cap impact with the signing bonus thing - just like they do with every contract. Get the deal done.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I think you answered your own question. It's the same reason they blindsided McKinnie at the last minute. It all comes down to cap space and $2 million a year matters. Honestly I don't see the Ravens winning that battle anyway so eventually they'll cave but they're going to fight to try and get the best cap deal possible.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I get the sense that the guaranteed money is more the priority for Flacco, so the 5 year vs. 6 year isn't really a big deal.
    And I feel that the team will want to spread this out as far as possible. He may resign down the road in a restructure or something, but this team is built to compete every year and longer contracts structured in certain ways, allow for that.

That being said, no one knows, but I'm looking at how they handled Suggs, Ed, and Webb with six year deals. At those times they signed, those players were the future of their positions. Only Ngata seemed to get the five year deal treatment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    They can manipulate the cap impact with the signing bonus thing - just like they do with every contract. Get the deal done.
    I'm with you. I actually started a thread on this at the end of last season. However, you do have to look at both sides. The Ravens owner has already said he wants to pay Flacco so money isn't the issue. It's how this impacts that cap that is holding this up.

Part of me believes Flacco is also waiting to see what Ryan gets. I think he probably feels he has been underpaid compared to Ryan so far and does not want to set the bar for Ryan to jump over.