Did McClain lose too much weight?

McClain looked like he was getting pushed back alot last night and it could have been from his weight loss. Ellerbe actually looked like he stayed his ground much better and had a good game. Havent seen him play like that since his rookie year. Anybody else think we may see Ellerbe in the starting lineup while McClain builds himself back up.

Blog Entries

Re: Didi McClain lose to much weight?

I was curious why Ellerbe was out there more than Jameel. I thought that was odd.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HHIRaven View Post
    McClain looked like he was getting pushed back alot last night and it could have been from his weight loss. Ellerbe actually looked like he stayed his ground much better and had a good game. Havent seen him play like that since his rookie year. Anybody else think we may see Ellerbe in the starting lineup while McClain builds himself back up.
    What makes you think McClain is going to "build back up"? The weight loss was by designed so he has no plans to gain that weight back if that's what your referring to. And yes Ellerbe was solid. His improve play would be nothing but a big bonus to this defense.

Blog Entries

im not sure if hell start or not but he certainly was in the game a lot more than mcclain was. I thought he got injured, but clearly wasnt since he was back out there in garbage time.

Ellerbe looked solid in all aspects. and if Ray is more committed to being the Coverage LB, than youd want a thumper like Ellerbe beside him, so that does make sense going forward if McClain was also trying to be lighter. I think the praise he got last year, plus the 2 million he got this year (even though everyone thought hed be cut and/or was in the doghouse again), plus his playing time greatly higher than McClain shows that the team really does think highly of him, despite what some may think/say.

Im still waiting to hear if McClain was fighting through an injury, because even as a supporter i still didnt see that coming.
    -JAB

The LBs being able to cover is more important than being able to stop the run. That's just a reality in today's NFL. It's especially important given the new look for the offense: The more points we score, the further ahead we get, the more our opponents will abandon the run entirely. Bringing the schedule into the equation, we play a high number of pass-happy teams so that means that even from the first snap, it's more beneficial to the team for the LBs to be able to run with the Rob Gronkowskies and Aaron Hernandezes of the world than for them to be prepared to stuff the Stevan Ridleys of the world at the LOS.

Blog Entries

This list of quality rushing offenses that the Ravens will face, does not hold up, compared to the list of quality passing offenses they will face. Monday, just happened to be a day where they dealt with a team trying to run the ball. McClain dropped the weight by design, but there is a price to pay for that. When they had trouble stopping the run, you saw Ellerbe get more time.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    This list of quality rushing offenses that the Ravens will face, does not hold up, compared to the list of quality passing offenses they will face. Monday, just happened to be a day where they dealt with a team trying to run the ball. McClain dropped the weight by design, but there is a price to pay for that. When they had trouble stopping the run, you saw Ellerbe get more time.
    That's a good point. Ray Lewis dropped weight too for the exact same reason. The Ravens do have a massive wall on the defensive line so in theory they should be able to be a little lighter at inside linebacker

Blog Entries

Ray Lewis looked better in run support than he did last year in this game anyway. Maybe the dropped weight actually helps in run support for some people, I think McClain actually lost some muscle from what I've seen of him.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...1-296d1777da4c

It was actually the opposite way

"We've got our own packages," Ellerbe said. "If it's more pass, then I'm in. If it had been more I-formation stuff, Jameel would have played more. It all depends on the formation."
    I've always they thought they were both limited in coverage and Ellerbe actuallys looks a little bigger this year so this is kinda surprising.

Blog Entries

It's not all about size when stopping the run though. I can name you a handful of LB's who are known to be some of the best run defenders in the league, and are probably considered under sized, Sean Lee of the Cowboys springs to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...1-296d1777da4c

It was actually the opposite way

I've always they thought they were both limited in coverage and Ellerbe actuallys looks a little bigger this year so this is kinda surprising.
    Ellerbe was fantastic in run support vs Cinci.

I too was wondering why he was in there over McClain, now we know why I guess.