Blog Entries

Secret Shadow Wars: Could these hurt Obama?

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/08/somalia-drones/
    http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/08/el-chapo/

I remember during his campaign he really made it a point to end the senseless and expensive wars, but under his command there has been an increase of "shadow wars" in Africa, the middle east, and now apparently they are contemplating sending SEALS into Mexico to go after the Cartel Kingpins.

It's kind of interesting to me when a Presidential campaign seems to advocate less spending, cutbacks, etc and then continues to spend on these missions overseas.

What are the thoughts of this forum on these things?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Secret Shadow Wars: Could these hurt Obama?

You really need to stop reading this stuff.

I remember people in my MP company getting asked to go to the horn for peacekeeping efforts and to supplement UN troops there. So I am not sure what "shadow war" (ooooh scary) is going on there. It's out in the open and I imagine drones are being used to take the place of surveillance planes, which is a much cheaper option.

As for the SEAL's nabbing a Mexican drug lord (allegedly), well, the sources in the article tell me all I need to know about the validity of the claim.

So to answer your question, no, it won't hurt Obama one bit.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 08-14-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    Dont you think that potentially violating international state sovereignty could be dangerous?

I think shadow war is a bad term to describe these things, but I do find it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Dont you think that potentially violating international state sovereignty could be dangerous?

I think shadow war is a bad term to describe these things, but I do find it interesting.
    Yes, but which case does this?

The military presence in the horn has been there for years. It's an incredibly unstable part of the world and a hot bed for terrorist training area. I don't see anything wrong with drones keeping tabs on the goings on there. And we're there at the request of the Djiboutian government anyway. It's not a particularly large presence and I imagine it's build up is because of the winding down of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. I suppose the Somali government is upset we keep and eye on them but so what? Until they can demonstrate a commitment to human rights, I say "fuck em".

As for the SEAL's going after the Mexican drug lord, I don't see that as even a remote possibility. For one, that's not the domain of the SEAL's. This type of mission, if it even existed, would fall under Army Special Forces / Delta Force. Drug interdiction / fomenting rebellion is one of their specialties and they are more suited for a mission of that ilk.

Looks like I have to eat some crow.

Just heard on my way into work that the Mexican Prez has asked Obama for help catching that drug lord.

Blog Entries

Some "Act of Valor" type of shit.

Did you see that movie?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Some "Act of Valor" type of shit.

Did you see that movie?
    Yeah. It was good.