Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Steelers Ink Antonio Brown

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Oh, I don't really disagree. As I said, it's not really in Ozzie's nature, but Wallace might IMO be one time where it's worth it.
    If Torrey Smith continues to improve they're not going to need a Mike Wallace. They'll need someone more similar to Boldin who will be cheaper. I could see them making a play for Greg Jennings instead

iggyman555 Guest

antonio brown also returns punts +1

Quote Originally Posted by SteelFaninBMore View Post
    I think that's the minimum Pittsburgh would take, as well. Considering that Wallace should net a 3rd round comp pick if he walks after the season, trading him for anything less than that seems counter-productive.
    The one problem for the steelers taking a hard line with him is that while he will most likely be a 3rd round comp pick, they won't get that pick until 2014 (UFA in 2013). Whereas if they trade him, they get the picks and/or players this year or next year. Wallace can still take the Vincent Jackson route, hold out until week 10, get credit for his year of service and then get paid big bucks next year. I think if Wallace is smart with what just happened he should hold out as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by NCCRavensFan View Post
    The one problem for the steelers taking a hard line with him is that while he will most likely be a 3rd round comp pick, they won't get that pick until 2014 (UFA in 2013). Whereas if they trade him, they get the picks and/or players this year or next year. Wallace can still take the Vincent Jackson route, hold out until week 10, get credit for his year of service and then get paid big bucks next year. I think if Wallace is smart with what just happened he should hold out as long as possible.
    Yep. Steelers will deal him likely for a 4th rounder as Bouchette points out. That saves them a few million this year, a headache and get a movable pick next year. Big Question is? How will Brown do without teams keying on Wallace? He will face teams number 1 DB's- possible double teams as well. Letting your number 1 WR return punts now is a huge risk. Plus, with new OC and system is Wallace going to be any value in week 11 anyway? Will he even put out? He will be dealt 3rd rounder tops, probably a 4th with his contract demands.

I can't see PIT committing a pile of money to another WR.
    If they can protect Ben then they will be able to get by with Brown, Cotchery and Sanders.

We won't touch Wallace. He's not our kind of guy.
    If Boldin moves on or gets moved on in '13 then we'll look for a serviceable vet for sure, but if we get into a bidding war for anyone then it sure as hell needs to be for a left tackle and not a frikkin WR.

Blog Entries

Alright, let's be real here. They were going to have to make a choice at some point and, the reality is that we all knew that choice would be Antonio Brown. They just got it over with.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I think it'd be smartest for them to do that if they think Sanders will be a good receiver. The team can win the SB without Wallace. They should also be able to get a first round pick for him.
    If a team was willing to offer a first for Wallace, they would have done it earlier this off-season when they had the chance. If no one was willing to do it then, I can't see anyone changing their minds now. If they could get a 2 2nds like Marshall netted, I'd be ecstatic, but that seems unlikely since teams know he'll be hitting UFA in a year.

And on the flip side, again, a 3rd or less isn't worth it, since Pittsburgh will get that in a comp pick anyway. So unless a team is willing to offer a 2nd, I think Pittsburgh is content to let Wallace sit at home and pout for as long as he wants.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Oh, I don't really disagree. As I said, it's not really in Ozzie's nature, but Wallace might IMO be one time where it's worth it.
    Him or Dwayne Bowe, who should be a FA too.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    if we get into a bidding war for anyone then it sure as hell needs to be for a left tackle and not a frikkin WR.
    Exactly. Hurry up and get down the field Mike, so Joe won't have time to get you the ball...
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

If a team was willing to offer a first for Wallace, they would have done it earlier this off-season when they had the chance. If no one was willing to do it then, I can't see anyone changing their minds now. If they could get a 2 2nds like Marshall netted, I'd be ecstatic, but that seems unlikely since teams know he'll be hitting UFA in a year.

And on the flip side, again, a 3rd or less isn't worth it, since Pittsburgh will get that in a comp pick anyway. So unless a team is willing to offer a 2nd, I think Pittsburgh is content to let Wallace sit at home and pout for as long as he wants.
    Based on what Pittsburgh has done with their salary cap issues I think they are going all in to win this year. They will keep Wallace this year as they make a run at the SB. Next year or the following they are going to need to shed a bunch of veterans to address their salary cap issues. The defense is aging and they want to make one more run with Troy P., Harrison, Keisel etc. The Steelers like the Ravens signing of Webb took advantage of getting a guy undercontract early. I don't think the signing means that they value Brown more but rather more affordable long term solution. If they could have gotten Wallace at a reasonable long term deal they would have signed him and gone the restricted route on Brown next year.

If one of Doss or Quan does not become something special this year I hope Ozzie goes after a Wallace or Bowe. It would be about 3m a year more than what they are paying Boldin.

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Tldr. :)
    Short version for you: You're wrong.
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

If they could get a 2 2nds like Marshall netted, I'd be ecstatic, but that seems unlikely since teams know he'll be hitting UFA in a year.
    Wallace is better and younger than Marshall and doesn't come with the baggage. Teams don't pay attention to whether or not a guy hits UFA the year after a trade because they will have the guy locked into an extension before they pull the trigger on a trade. Otherwise they wouldn't trade for him.

If the Steelers get less than a first rounder for him, I'd be thrilled. That's if they trade him. Which, honestly, they don't have much incentive to do. They're better keeping him for $2.45MM or whatever this year, then franchising and trading him next year (assuming Wallace doesn't have the leverage to force their hand by saying they won't franchise him for him to sign his deal).

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid