Page 1 of 27 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Bryant McKinnie - Not at 1st practice, Oher at LT for now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...irst-practice/

Ravens coach John Harbaugh told reporters after practice that McKinnie’s representative told the team he was dealing with a “personal” matter and it wasn’t clear when he’d return.

In his absence, the Ravens moved Michael Oher to left tackle, and used Ramon Harewood at right tackle, before he left practice with a leg injury.

Not a good thing folks.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Bryant McKinnie - Not at 1st practice, Oher at LT for now.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    IMHO it is two BAD things: Oher at LT and Harewood hurt AGAIN. (Make that three bads: WHY Harewood rather than Reid?)

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    IMHO it is two BAD things: Oher at LT and Harewood hurt AGAIN. (Make that three bads: WHY Harewood rather than Reid?)
    Reid is still recovering from an injury.

Blog Entries

Reid his hurt himself. This might explain why they were looking at Steinbach. If we can find a good enough G, maybe Yanda can slide back out to RT.

Either way McKinnie is barking up the wrong tree. The one thing Harbaugh hates is a poor work ethic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    Reid is still recovering from an injury.
    Yup. As is KO, otherwise I'd imagine that KO and/or Reid would be over at the RT spot.

Blog Entries

McKinnie's personal issue is he probably tripped, fell, and landed face first in a pool of cheeseburgers and he's nowhere near the shape that Harbs wants him in and he knows it.

Blog Entries

I'm not so worried about RT as it gives one of our younger players a chance to prove them selves at RT. It's more about Oher playing on the left side, I really don't know if he is mentally prepared to play left tackle, physically? Yes probably, he has all the tools to become an athletic LT, but he just isn't football smart enough if you know what I mean.

Harewood at RT is worrying though, hope Reid or Osemele comes back ready to go.

We've had 2 1/2 (arguably 3 1/2) off-seasons to engineer a long-term fix for our OT problem.
    Shame on the FO for not getting this nonsense together.

(I heard on The Fan that Harewood rolled his ankle. Possibly not serious.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    We've had 2 1/2 (arguably 3 1/2) off-seasons to engineer a long-term fix for our OT problem.
    Shame on the FO for not getting this nonsense together.

(I heard on The Fan that Harewood rolled his ankle. Possibly not serious.)
    It's probably not very serious, but still...3 years in a row dealing with soft-tissue injuries.

And finding a long term LT is extremely difficult. If the Ravens had draft picks in the top 10 over the past 3 years or so they may have been able to land someone, but LT is one of the hardest positions to draft and guys who are even just above avg LT's in the league really don't ever hit free agency.

Our OL is by far the thing I'm most worried about in this upcoming season. People underestimate how badly the Ravens have mishandled the LT situation since the 2009 offseason. I'm not sure it's all or even mostly their fault, but there has been setback after setback and their responses have not worked.

I think it's inarguable that in an ideal world, a healthy/motivated Gaither at LT and Oher at RT was the ideal long-term outlook for this team. The Oher experiment at LT was a failure and may have destroyed his confidence--he's never been even close to as good a player as he was his rookie year at RT. I'm now no longer confident he can consistently play left OR right tackle at a high level.

Who knows what could have been done about Gaither, but he had long-term LT potential and now we have only McKinnie, who is spiraling towards not making the final 53, AND no other long-term LT options on the roster. Harewood can't get healthy, Osemele and Reid are not LT prospects, and that's it.

I could be proven wrong here, but I do not like this situation at all in 2012 or beyond. I hope the coaching staff and FO has a plan.

McKinnie is a mess.

The FO continued to roll the dice when they gave him the 500,00 bonus back in the Spring.

They really have no choice but to hope and pray they can squeeze one more season out of him but right now it's a coin flip as to if they can IMO.

PP

Blog Entries

Agreed, this has not been handled very well. And Wicked that may be true about it being hard to find legit LT's, but teams like the Raiders find guys like Jared Veldheer in the third round, who is a much better option than Bryant McKinnie at this point. I really hope we do something next year, whether that be in the draft, or in FA, because this offensive line issue is getting worrying.