Blog Entries

UNC Problems Persist

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-unc-in-2008/

I know Hakeem Nicks doesn't have anything to do with Ravens football (until December 23rd of this year that is), but we do have a former Tar Heel on the books (McAdoo) and this recent account of Hakeem Nicks playing the entire 08 season while being academically ineligible just really shows how messed up that program is/was.

Nicks received improper academic help from a tutor. The NCAA specifically called the situation “academic fraud.”
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: UNC Problems Persist

It's funny because the Tar Heel hoops program, which is one of the top 2-3 programs in the country every year seemingly, has been squeaky clean for decades. The football program, which has had a small fraction of the success of the hoops team, can't seem to get out of the way of all these problems. It all has to do with leadership. Their football program, despite having loads of talent, has no direction right now. It seems like they are recruiting all these ultra-talented players who have no regard for the university.

BTW, did you read the article about what Robert Quinn is alleged to have done to his former agent? What a piece of work that filthbag is. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--la...--300-000.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    It's funny because the Tar Heel hoops program, which is one of the top 2-3 programs in the country every year seemingly, has been squeaky clean for decades. The football program, which has had a small fraction of the success of the hoops team, can't seem to get out of the way of all these problems. It all has to do with leadership. Their football program, despite having loads of talent, has no direction right now. It seems like they are recruiting all these ultra-talented players who have no regard for the university.

BTW, did you read the article about what Robert Quinn is alleged to have done to his former agent? What a piece of work that filthbag is. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--la...--300-000.html
    I did hear that.

Well, I guess that's what contracts are for, right?

Still though...it's pretty shitty. That same Robert Quinn has also recently been busted on DUI charges IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Well, I guess that's what contracts are for, right?
    I don't know the sports contract world well enough to fully understand everything, but my understanding is that the contract between an agent and a college athlete is just a contract for representation, right? I mean, if Quinn wanted to sign with another agent, that's his right. Athletes do that all the time. However, I don't believe it's common or acceptable to do this EIGHT DAYS before you sign your first pro contract. What a classless, gutless move and I hope the former agent gets every penny out of Quinn possible.

Blog Entries

Obviously academic fraud rises nowhere near to the level of child molesting.

But other than that (call it the "substance" of the scandal), the "structure" of the UNC scandal (meaning who all knew, participated, and how high up it went) was much worse.

Butch Davis was fired right before the start of last season, shortly after ACC media day.

The media never got past "why did they wait till now?" They puzzled and puzzled, but apparently not one "journalist" did anything more than copy what was on other people's blogs and ask the same question.

The reason he was fired right before the season was because the Board of Trustee's regular meeting was set for that day. And at that meeting what you had was a bunch of new people on the Board of Trustees. New people who were NOT obliged to continue covering up Butch Davis' and Co's misdeeds.

Once the B.O.T. members who had actively concealed everything had their terms expire, they could no longer keep the lid on, and the second the new B.O.T. met -- boom -- they voted to dump Davis, just like that.

Meanwhile you had the Athletic Director lying about academic fraud, and the A.D. directly testifying that McAdoo's paper was his own work. How would he know a thing like that? Turns out the paper was 39% plagiarized. The school's "Honor" Board, wouldn't you know, missed that fact. Even though free programs on the internet would have revealed it, the Board claimed it lacked the ability to check his work.

Then there's all the parking tickets for players that got paid, and the boatloads of calls and text messages from Butch Davis' personal phone (he always used his personal phone and never his school issued one, because anything on the school one would be subject to state open records law because it is state property and he is a state employee). And then there is the tutor, the same one who "helped" McAdoo with his plagiarized paper, also being a "personal employee" of Butch Davis himself, acting as an "academic advisor" to his son.

There is more but that is the basics of it. There's a blogger named Bob Lee (his site is called Bob Lee Says.com) who lays it all out in full detail, piece by piece, but if you haven't followed from the beginning, you would need to in order to understand it. Unfortunately neither the archives nor necessarily the blog titles always clue you in as to which posts have the relevant/best stuff in them. But it is all there, and more complete than in any other news source, including the Raleigh N&O. Oh, maybe an NC State message board might have it all -- it was, after all, an NC State message board that detected the plagiarism, and kindly brought it to the attention of the rest of the world.... two minutes after a pdf of the paper was posted, and more than one year after the UNC "Honor" Court "missed" it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Obviously academic fraud rises nowhere near to the level of child molesting.

But other than that (call it the "substance" of the scandal), the "structure" of the UNC scandal (meaning who all knew, participated, and how high up it went) was much worse.

Butch Davis was fired right before the start of last season, shortly after ACC media day.

The media never got past "why did they wait till now?" They puzzled and puzzled, but apparently not one "journalist" did anything more than copy what was on other people's blogs and ask the same question.

The reason he was fired right before the season was because the Board of Trustee's regular meeting was set for that day. And at that meeting what you had was a bunch of new people on the Board of Trustees. New people who were NOT obliged to continue covering up Butch Davis' and Co's misdeeds.

Once the B.O.T. members who had actively concealed everything had their terms expire, they could no longer keep the lid on, and the second the new B.O.T. met -- boom -- they voted to dump Davis, just like that.

Meanwhile you had the Athletic Director lying about academic fraud, and the A.D. directly testifying that McAdoo's paper was his own work. How would he know a thing like that? Turns out the paper was 39% plagiarized. The school's "Honor" Board, wouldn't you know, missed that fact. Even though free programs on the internet would have revealed it, the Board claimed it lacked the ability to check his work.

Then there's all the parking tickets for players that got paid, and the boatloads of calls and text messages from Butch Davis' personal phone (he always used his personal phone and never his school issued one, because anything on the school one would be subject to state open records law because it is state property and he is a state employee). And then there is the tutor, the same one who "helped" McAdoo with his plagiarized paper, also being a "personal employee" of Butch Davis himself, acting as an "academic advisor" to his son.

There is more but that is the basics of it. There's a blogger named Bob Lee (his site is called Bob Lee Says.com) who lays it all out in full detail, piece by piece, but if you haven't followed from the beginning, you would need to in order to understand it. Unfortunately neither the archives nor necessarily the blog titles always clue you in as to which posts have the relevant/best stuff in them. But it is all there, and more complete than in any other news source, including the Raleigh N&O. Oh, maybe an NC State message board might have it all -- it was, after all, an NC State message board that detected the plagiarism, and kindly brought it to the attention of the rest of the world.... two minutes after a pdf of the paper was posted, and more than one year after the UNC "Honor" Court "missed" it.
    That's all really interesting NC.

I had no idea that it was that extensive.

Blog Entries

One of my favorite quotes from a UNC spokesperson regarding the ongoing investigation of the African Studies department (which offered courses heavily favored by student athletes at UNC, including the one in which McAdoo got busted for plagiarism, and some of which were taught by a sports agent): "Davis pointed out that of the 616 courses offered by the department between summer 2007 and summer 2011, only 54 were in question."

Yeah... ONLY FIFTY FOUR CLASSES were "in question"!!!