Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Signs indicate that franchise tag could happen twice for Rice

By now, everyone knows that the Ravens need to reach a long-term deal with their Franchise Player, RB Ray Rice, by 4:00 EST on Monday. If they fail to do so, the league’s CBA prohibits them from signing him to a long-term before the end of the league year (which is next March). That would mean that they would either have to again use their Franchise Tag on him next year or allow him to become an Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA) before possibly re-signing him.

There have been a lot of reports that Rice is seeking a sizeable contract in the range of the deals signed by Vikings’ RB Adrian Peterson and Titans’ RB Chris Johnson. Reports also say that the Ravens would be willing to sign Rice to a deal close to those signed by Texans’ RB Arian Foster and Eagles’ RB LeSean McCoy.

So, to better gauge those positions, let’s take a look at the breakdown of the deals signed by Johnson, Foster and McCoy (Peterson’s deal, though, is so far outside the realm of reality that it isn’t even worth discussing).

Click here for the analysis from our resident cap expert Brian McFarland (BmoreRavor)
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: Signs indicate that franchise tag could happen twice for Rice

I wouldn't be surprised if they tagged him twice and then let him split.

It's a shame, but it doesn't seem like the Ravens are being stingy on this one. Seems like Rice and his agent have a benchmark for guaranteed money, years, and total value and they aren't budging too much.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

agreed; I expect him to play under the tag this year and possibly next before he's gone. There's even a chance they could let him become a FA next year depending on how things go between now and then. I don't see them paying a RB crazy money, even though he's a special player.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

great article and breakdown. I didnt realize the similarities in Johnsons and Fosters deals. Id like to see APs in this same breakdown. At the end of the day i think he does sign, having him for 3 years doesnt seem to cost you that much more in the end and would make him as well as the team happy, while giving peirce time to learn and take over. If they signed Flacco id be alright with 2 franchises and letting him go, but having both FA next year seems like a bad idea. If theyre already at Foster money I cant see there being much of a holdup over CJ money after reading this. I think he signs the final day realizing he gets another year at least, by signing a deal like that. who wouldnt rather have 30 million rather than 18?
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Great article and I didn't realize the deals were setup like that either. Really could go either way, you're counting that number against the cap almost anyway so even if they gave him CJ like money they could jettison him before the final year. Cap amounts being similar and all but we may need that room in 2 years, OR we're still ok and keep him. Or just tag him twice and say se ya after that, maybe we've moved into a more balanced offense by than.

Biggest key I think is getting Flacco's deal done so we can see the long term effect against the cap and adjust accordingly.

I'm not normally right about this kind of thing, but I've been saying for months that it made sense, financially, to tag him twice and let him go.

I love the guy, but it's business.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    I'm not normally right about this kind of thing, but I've been saying for months that it made sense, financially, to tag him twice and let him go.

I love the guy, but it's business.
    Ed Reed would agree with you.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Rice has a reason to be bitter about it, and I'm sympathetic to him. He is truly an elite player at a position where the shelf life is short and, for the very best of the best, the franchise tag is a reasonable purchase price.

I don't have much sympathy for Ed Reed, though. He's been appreciated by the team, financially and otherwise, commensurate with his extraordinary abilities.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Rice has a reason to be bitter about it, and I'm sympathetic to him. He is truly an elite player at a position where the shelf life is short and, for the very best of the best, the franchise tag is a reasonable purchase price.

I don't have much sympathy for Ed Reed, though. He's been appreciated by the team, financially and otherwise, commensurate with his extraordinary abilities.

Umm in case nobody has thought of this one thing I am sure is in the back of the 'Braintrusts' mind is TSizzle. Lot of cap space will be sitting in the owners suite this year. Rice is a good back but the Arian Foster deal is more then generous for him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edtude View Post
    Umm in case nobody has thought of this one thing I am sure is in the back of the 'Braintrusts' mind is TSizzle. Lot of cap space will be sitting in the owners suite this year. Rice is a good back but the Arian Foster deal is more then generous for him.
    Not trying to be argumentative here, but I don't understand what T-sizzle has to do with this.... splain please?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Not trying to be argumentative here, but I don't understand what T-sizzle has to do with this.... splain please?
    Just that injuries to players like Sizzle, Forte, and Peterson emphasize that a team has a 'value' for players and they should not go over that value. As has been said it is a business.