Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

J. Jones' Drops Concerning

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-in-baltimore/

Dropped passes and fumbles were a problem for Jones in Houston, and were one of the reasons the Texans decided to draft two wide receivers and then cut Jones after the draft. Now the Ravens’ website says those problems with drops haven’t gone away for Jones: There were issues with Jones dropping passes during the Ravens’ offseason practices.

So, what happens if he really just isn't good in pre-season and Deonte Thompson and/or Asa Jackson are really impressive returning kicks and punts?

Any chance the Ravens cut him? I'm not 100% on the cap implications of that, but I know the 2 year $7 mill deal was essentially a 1 year deal.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: J. Jones' Drops Concerning

I think it depends on how the rest of the crew at WR performs. If Doss shows up like gangbusters at camp and blows everyone away, Asa Jackson does everything right in the return game, and a guy like Streeter or Williams, or maybe even Deonte Thompson give the coaches confidence they can handle the NFL if called up, then Jacoby Jones might be cut.

That's alot of pieces that need to fall just right IMO. And if they do all come off that way, Im sure the Ravens brass and coaches would be ecstatic heading to Opening Day.

3. Re: J. Jones' Drops Concerning

I asked a Texans forum about JJ and got 5pages worth....http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...t=Jacoby+jones

This article talks about him dropping passes, not punts or kick off's.

Secondly, why is this coming out now? OTA's have come and gone and not a word about JJ until now? Sounds to me like PFT is bored.

Per Spotrac, Jacoby Jones got a 1.8m signing bonus, and that pro-rates to 900k each year. So if we cut him, that's 900k of dead money this year and another 900k next year.

His cap number next year is 4.9m, which is why people think it's really a 1-year deal. If he plays well, they'll extend and restructure to a manageable number. If not, they cut him and are only on the hook for 900k.

900k worth of dead money isn't so much that he's un-cuttable, but it would make the Ravens look pretty stupid. It was a bad signing anyway.

Oh boy. Here we go again...superbowl on the line...ravens are driving for the go ahead score with seconds left and Jacoby Jones........drops the pass.SMH
    I would much rather him return punts and kickoffs but obviously that's not realistic given how much money we've committed to him...that is assuming he doesn't get cut.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This article talks about him dropping passes, not punts or kick off's.

Secondly, why is this coming out now? OTA's have come and gone and not a word about JJ until now? Sounds to me like PFT is bored.
    There was actually something up on br.com and the Sun about a week or so ago pertaining to J. Jones having issues with dropping passes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Per Spotrac, Jacoby Jones got a 1.8m signing bonus, and that pro-rates to 900k each year. So if we cut him, that's 900k of dead money this year and another 900k next year.

His cap number next year is 4.9m, which is why people think it's really a 1-year deal. If he plays well, they'll extend and restructure to a manageable number. If not, they cut him and are only on the hook for 900k.

900k worth of dead money isn't so much that he's un-cuttable, but it would make the Ravens look pretty stupid. It was a bad signing anyway.
    I agree.

I'm still willing to take the wait-n-see approach with this situation, but I'm not confident at all that he'll be a major contributor for the Ravens outside of special teams.

1. I can't undo anything.
    2. I don't write the checks.
    3. I believe that the best of the roster will be on the field this fall.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-in-baltimore/

So, what happens if he really just isn't good in pre-season and Deonte Thompson and/or Asa Jackson are really impressive returning kicks and punts?

Any chance the Ravens cut him? I'm not 100% on the cap implications of that, but I know the 2 year $7 mill deal was essentially a 1 year deal.
    No chance at all. If things don't go well they'll get rid of him next year just like they did with Evans.

Dropped passes and fumbles were a problem for Jones in Houston

Regular season stats:

2009: 2 fumbles
    2010: 1 fumble
    2011: 0 fumbles

:grbac:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Dropped passes and fumbles were a problem for Jones in Houston

Regular season stats:

2009: 2 fumbles
    2010: 1 fumble
    2011: 0 fumbles

:grbac:
    I noticed that too, but the 0 fumbles in 2011 is inaccurate as we saw him put one on the turf at M&T in the playoffs on a punt return.