Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: IN YOUR OPINION: Who is the most underrated Raven?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Ray Rice and it isn't close, if we are talking amongst Raven fans.
    im assuming because of those that dont feel hes worth paying? I dont think that necessarily means hes underrated, just the position itself is over valued. I think youd be hard pressed to find many people that think Rice, as a complete package, isnt top 5 in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    No one ever talks about Punters unless they stink. Sam Koch has been awesome since he was drafted. Ozzie who never pays for this position broke his own rule when it came to Koch because he knows just how good he is. To be underrated you have to be an afterthought barely ever mentioned despite being a top performer. That's what Sam Koch is.
    excellent choice. His ability to pin teams inside the 10 is one of the most underrated skills of any player in the league, especially as a compliment to our defense.
    -JAB

Is it possible for Kruger to be underrated?

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    Is it possible for Kruger to be underrated?
    I don't think Kruger can be deemed underrated because he hasn't played all that much. This coming season should tell us where he falls as far as over/under rated.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

I'd go with Koch--here's a guy who does his job very, very well & very few notice it. And remember his first-down run off the fake punt vs the Cowgirls in 2008? A key element in that smackdown (with Willis & Le'Ron adding double exclamation points at the end).

Ayanbadejo is pretty good on 3rd down and I think he gets lost in the shuffle.

2011 Ravens D on 3rd Down held teams to 32% conversion good for #2 in the NFL
    2010, when he was hurt and even when healthy only infrequently played at LB, Ravens were at 38% and 15th in the NFL

Obviously this isn't all about Ayanbadejo--Pagano v. Mattison, Webb and Williams v Carr and Wilson, etc. But Ayanbadejo was a big factor in the 3rd down pass defense last year.

iggyman555 Guest

cundiff most underated

All good cases, but I'm going to throw a vote towards Pollard. He gets lost in the shuffle of other defensive stars, but I love the physicality he brings to the secondary. His coverage ability is probably average, but he is a sure tackler and lays the lumber. I really think he brings an intimidation factor which can't be measured by stats.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I'd go with Koch--here's a guy who does his job very, very well & very few notice it. And remember his first-down run off the fake punt vs the Cowgirls in 2008? A key element in that smackdown (with Willis & Le'Ron adding double exclamation points at the end).
    Good point. Maybe the Ravens should try that fake more often. Or at least against the Cowgirls again when they come to town! :)
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

The obvious choice is Joe Flacco. He catches a lot of grief from the media, but some (Jaws most recently) are starting to figure out that he's pretty damn good.

Cary Williams was a major unsung hero last year. He played stout D and even though he doesn't have the natural hands that Webb or Ed Reed have, he made some big plays by deflecting the ball and/or jarring it loose as soon as it got to the receiver. He breaks on the receivers very well. He's also a hell of a tackler for a cornerback.

I think Jameel McClain is pretty underrated as well. He's playing beside the best MLB to ever play the game, so the comparisons are sometimes extremely unfair. He's also a guy who has essentially transitioned between 3 different positions (DE in college, to OLB/DE here, to ILB) until settling in at MLB. He'd be a starter on most defenses. He's young and he's someone who puts in the work to get better.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think Jameel McClain is pretty underrated as well. He's playing beside the best MLB to ever play the game, so the comparisons are sometimes extremely unfair. He's also a guy who has essentially transitioned between 3 different positions (DE in college, to OLB/DE here, to ILB) until settling in at MLB. He'd be a starter on most defenses. He's young and he's someone who puts in the work to get better.
    Kind of reminds me of someone... from DT in college to a 3-4 LB in the NFL, I think Jameel has become the new "JJ" of our defense.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Pernell McPhee?

Sam Koch?

Jameel McClain?

Lardarius Webb?

Bernard Pollard?

Who?
    Most underrated player was Cory Redding, WAS because he is now a Colt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeRK82 View Post
    Most underrated player was Cory Redding, WAS because he is now a Colt.
    Definitely someone I would have said had he still been a Raven.

The dude played lights out football in 2011, and was arguably one of the best 5 techs in the game that season, his run defense was outstanding. I think overall, it was best for us that we lost him in FA, as it gives us the opportunity to see what McPhee and Arthur Jones can do as starters.