Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
  1. Re: If Flacco improves, could Caldwell replace Cam in 2013?

How quickly this thread can degenerate into game specific plays that show the entirety of Flacco/Cam's season.....laughable

Blog Entries

Re: If Flacco improves, could Caldwell replace Cam in 2013?

If I remember correctly, Flacco was trying to throw the ball when it was stripped.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    In position to win the AFCC, in a year where we:

• Lost our starting LG for six games, and had horrible O-line play during that time
    • Got inconsistent play from our old, overweight LT
    • Replaced two of the most sure-handed pass catchers in team history with young, first-time starters
    • Then lost our #2 receiver to injury for most of the season, forcing us to start a rookie
    • Had no 3rd WR for most of the season, due to the Evans injury and David Reed's issues, the rest of the guys being rookies

Compounded with:

• Our #1 receiver being slowed most of the saeson by a knee cartilage issue, but we still coax a thousand-yard pace out of him (pro-rate to 16 games).
    • One of our best players on offense being a fullback who is a terrible, terrible receiver
    • Our old center getting dominated, absolutely owned by the opposing NT in the AFCCG. Wilfork was the best player on the field that day.

I gotta say, the further away we get from the day-to-day detail, the more it looks like Cameron did a fantastic job last season. When you look at the big picture, the Ravens had a ton of personnel issues on offense last year. They were rickety on the O-line and hurt at WR. On, and while the All-Pro FB is a magnificent run blocker, he is a flat-out liability as a receiver.

Cameron dealt with all that, and he coaxed a thousand-yard pace from the slowed #1 receiver, a magnificent season from the high-draft pick rookie receiver, and got 900 yards and 8 TDs from the tight end tandem. And oh yeah, had his RB lead the league in yards-from-scrimmage. The more I think about it, the more brilliant it seems.

Cam is not perfect as a play-caller. Somewhere there is a fine line between the stick-to-it-iveness required to make something work, and the flexibility to make an adjustment when required. Cam is not at the sweet spot, he's a little on the stubborn side of that fine line. The Seattle game last season was an utter debacle.

But damn few people are "perfect" at play-calling. The best I've ever seen are guys like Bill Walsh, Sean Payton, Norv Turner, maybe Charlie Weiss. Guys whose play calls are breathtaking, and almost always seem to produce points. Maybe I'm missing some: but even those guys need a punter on the roster. The rest of the OCs get some right, some wrong, just like Cam.

Cam seems to be outstanding at structuring an offense that will let the players produce within their roles over the course of a whole season. I could stand to see a bit more flexibility / variety within a game, but I can't argue with the structure over the course of a season.
    Bingo.

It cracks me up when I read how Cam isn't getting "the most" out of his offense. The talent on this offense is severely overrated by many fans.

Do people really think a guy like Sean Payton would march in here and turn this offense into an elite (passing) offense with the current personnel?

I know I don't.

PP

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Bingo.

It cracks me up when I read how Cam isn't getting "the most" out of his offense. The talent on this offense is severely overrated by many fans.

Do people really think a guy like Sean Payton would march in here and turn this offense into an elite (passing) offense with the current personnel?

I know I don't.

PP
    Sean Payton's offense is an overall better design than Cam's. Sure, Brees is what makes that offense go, but Payton has done a nice job getting a lot of guys involved in the running game and he's done an even better job at getting the ball into the hands of his play makers over the years.

Also, considering the success of Brees and Rivers while under Cam and then under another offensive coordinator could logically lead someone to the argument that Cam's offensive philosophy isn't QB friendly and isn't WR friendly, ergo someone like Sean Payton could potentially get more out of the players on the Ravens' squad than what Cam has done.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Bingo.

I know I don't.

PP
    Are the Saints really that superior to us on offense?

Colston is in the same class as Mike Wallace, just below first tier of WR's. He is a good weapon for Brees, but not exactly a megatron or a Larry Fitzgerald. Meachem was a decent receiver for them, but he finished the season with less yards than Torrey Smith finished his rookie season for us. I will agree that Jimmy Graham is on a different level, and a top 3 TE in the game right now, probably his best weapon. Sproles is an underrated RB who is good carrying the ball, and receiving, but he isn't in the same class as Ray Rice.

The offensive line is a better unit overall, their tackles are nothing special, but do a better job than ours. They have the best left guard in football, but ours wasn't too bad either, and they have an overrated right guard that is secretly not as good as Marshall Yanda despite what a bunch of NFL network blog writers would want to tell you.

So yeah talent wise, they probably have an edge over us, but it's not quite as drastic as you'd believe. I am not a fan of Cam, but niether am I a hater of him, I think he has at times done a good job calling certain games for us. But lets not live in the clouds here, I am pretty sure Sean Payton would develop this offense into at least a top 15 overall unit.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Are the Saints really that superior to us on offense?

Colston is in the same class as Mike Wallace, just below first tier of WR's. He is a good weapon for Brees, but not exactly a megatron or a Larry Fitzgerald. Meachem was a decent receiver for them, but he finished the season with less yards than Torrey Smith finished his rookie season for us. I will agree that Jimmy Graham is on a different level, and a top 3 TE in the game right now, probably his best weapon. Sproles is an underrated RB who is good carrying the ball, and receiving, but he isn't in the same class as Ray Rice.

The offensive line is a better unit overall, their tackles are nothing special, but do a better job than ours. They have the best left guard in football, but ours wasn't too bad either, and they have an overrated right guard that is secretly not as good as Marshall Yanda despite what a bunch of NFL network blog writers would want to tell you.

So yeah talent wise, they probably have an edge over us, but it's not quite as drastic as you'd believe. I am not a fan of Cam, but niether am I a hater of him, I think he has at times done a good job calling certain games for us. But lets not live in the clouds here, I am pretty sure Sean Payton would develop this offense into at least a top 15 overall unit.
    You left out the QBs in your list.

Yes, I believe the talent the Saints have on offense is clearly better than that of the Ravens.

An Oline that's better and a QB that's on a ridiculous level can make many play callers look damn good.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Sean Payton's offense is an overall better design than Cam's. Sure, Brees is what makes that offense go, but Payton has done a nice job getting a lot of guys involved in the running game and he's done an even better job at getting the ball into the hands of his play makers over the years.

Also, considering the success of Brees and Rivers while under Cam and then under another offensive coordinator could logically lead someone to the argument that Cam's offensive philosophy isn't QB friendly and isn't WR friendly, ergo someone like Sean Payton could potentially get more out of the players on the Ravens' squad than what Cam has done.
    This is the issue I have. You can't just brush off Brees like that. It's a HUGE thing to have a guy like that along with an OL that protects him.

I believe Payton is great at running his offense. But it doesn't work without incredible talent.

And again, I say the Saints have more talent than the Ravens on offense.

And I saw Torrey Smith make big play after big play last year as a RAW rookie who couldn't catch a thing in camp.

PP

Blog Entries

You left out the QBs in your list.

Yes, I believe the talent the Saints have on offense is clearly better than that of the Ravens.

An Oline that's better and a QB that's on a ridiculous level can make many play callers look damn good.

PP
    I meant the weapons on offense rather than the QB. The weapons that the Saints have are not all that superior to ours is what I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I meant the weapons on offense rather than the QB. The weapons that the Saints have are not all that superior to ours is what I'm saying.
    How can you leave out the QB though?

We're talking about the offense as a whole.

QB is easily the more important ingredient.

Am I missing something?

PP

Bingo.

I know I don't.

PP
    If Sean Payton was the offensive coordinator here we'd have probably won a few super bowls. He knows how to find the weakness in a defense and attack it. Cameron doesn't attack, he cowers. He plays scared and it affects the whole offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I've been hearing some good things about Flacco looking sharp in OTAs and minicamp (while he was there). Obviously you need to take that with a grain of salt, but maybe Caldwell is a good partner for Flacco.

It strikes me that if Flacco looks significantly better this season there could be temptation to replace Cam with Cladwell. At a minimum I'm sure we'd have some fans asking for it. :)

Of course, if Flacco does well that may reduce the heat on Cam anyway, so it's a bit of a catch-22.

As far as Caldwell's qualifications, I believe he's mostly been a QB coach before being head coach for the Colts. I would think that's enough if you're unhappy with Cam.

Thats what i was hoping before i found out that CALDWELL isnt an Offensive Coord. He has only been an Assistant Coach and we all know who exactly the O.C was in INDY. And it showed when Manning wasn't on the field.

But hey , you never know. He might be by yrs end and i know for a fact he can't do any worse than Cam. And Maybe that will give Flacco more shots at calling plays.

Might be a blessing disguise

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    If Sean Payton was the offensive coordinator here we'd have probably won a few super bowls. He knows how to find the weakness in a defense and attack it. Cameron doesn't attack, he cowers. He plays scared and it affects the whole offense.
    This. I wonder what he would have done the first time he saw Boldin covered by Julian Edelman.