Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Not my choice for home defense.

The round is super sonic and could easily pass through walls, striking unintended targets.

Blog Entries

Re: I would like to exercise my 2nd...

Those rounds look like they'd be stupid expensive.

I was thinking a 9mm because rounds aren't terribly expensive and I would like to go to the range at least once or twice a month. I really do enjoy shooting. It's a lot of fun.

Beretta PX4 D-Type 9mm: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...0D-TYPE%209mm/

S&W SD9VE 9mm:
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...mm+BlackSS+16R
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Not my choice for home defense.

The round is super sonic and could easily pass through walls, striking unintended targets.
    Meh. A Five-Seven with a green laser from Veridian would be unbeatable. If I had the money it would be in my house and would be the only handgun I'd need as its got little recoil and is extremely accurate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Those rounds look like they'd be stupid expensive.
    They aren't cheap but I'd rather have one gun that I trust. If you're into having lots of handguns and different ammo because thats your thing then the Five-Seven might not be for you.

Beretta Px4 is a fine weapon.

Very reliable, fun to shoot and a great price. They had feed problems in earlier models so make sure you stay away from a used one.

Great thread.... I've also been thinking of posting a very similar thread.

Continental arms in timonium is a fine, relatively inexpensive range that rents guns. Bonus, for those of you with wives or GF's is that on thursday nights rental is free for women. This will allow you to buy a box of ammo for several different guns throughout the night. An affordabel way to test a few guns in one night.
    Those with inexperienced wives, can choose to start with a 22 revolver and move on to bigger and beter firearms.

HR, so you are not a fan of the S&W M&P? Are yoiu not complaining about the gun simply the company? It's a highly regarded sub Glock budget firearm. Taurus is also a manufacturer that 's quality is improving in that sub $500 range, but I've heard enough horror stories from yesteryear that I'm planning to stay away. I've heard them compared as the Hyundai of firearms, with the progression that's been made in the past decade being a solid parallel. I've yet to find someone convince me that it is worth spending less then Glock wants for a firearrm. I think I've narrowed my search down to the 21, for a good combination of capacity/stopping power/ ammo cost.
    I open carry at my current job and the company provided Glock 30 is not exactly my cup of tea. too small a frame for too large a round.

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    Meh. A Five-Seven with a green laser from Veridian would be unbeatable. If I had the money it would be in my house and would be the only handgun I'd need as its got little recoil and is extremely accurate.
    The FiveSeven seems(have not shot one) to me to be a specialty gun. I wouldn't consider it for my purposes. I'd love to have such a precision firearm, it's just the wrong direction for most people I think. As HR suggess, the high velocity small caliber round has lots of penetration which is actually bad for most home defense situations. It's 20 round capacity is overkill for almost all such situations, and the cost of round is far too much for a suitable practice gun for most budgets. On top of that, it's stopping power is questionable for rounds that are not well placed.
    That said, it should be a very approachable and accurate weapon for anyone with a fair ammount of practice. Firing several rounds repeatedly would be easier for almost all shooters. I still just question it's utility for the "everyman".

Blog Entries

In my younger days I served summons on the side while working in the federal court system. My first case was serving someone in a bar in Turner Station. I went to his home and his ex said exactly where he was. So I walked in and asked the bart tender and he said are you a friend of his. I was the only white guy in the joint. AFter looking around I said do you think I'd be here if I wasn't. He said, oh yea, he's at the end of the bar. I gave him the papers and said you've been served and ran like hell. Kept the car engine on outside-lol.

From there I did some bounty work with two off duty Baltimore county cops. They wanted me to get a gun but I just never liked them.

Knives were my weapon of choice as I learned how to use them in my youth growing up near Memorial Stadium. Still have s switch blade I took off a guy who tried to use it on me.

I also had THE PIZZA KIT. It was a 3/16" plate of steel the size of a pizza my dad had made down the point. I'd walk up and knock on a door with a pizza delivery and smacked it over the guy's head every time when he opened the door.

I never needed guns but respect them and the right for others to
    have them.

Something tells me somebody is gonna make a federal case to
    expunge the 2d Amendment after fast and furous.

GIVE ME A MILLION ARMED CITIZENS AND NO COUNTRY CAN DEFEAT US.

PRESIDENT ANDY JACKSON, HERO OF BATTLE OF NEW ORLEANS

THERE'S MORE GUNS IN THE MIDWEST THAN PEOPLE.

TOM BERENGER IN THE MOVIE BETRAYAL
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-23-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    HR, so you are not a fan of the S&W M&P? Are yoiu not complaining about the gun simply the company? It's a highly regarded sub Glock budget firearm.
    It's the company.

I bought a Bodyguard 380 two years ago. The inner spring broke clean in half and I called them for a simple replacement. Long story short, they ran me around for a better part of an hour, refusing to send me a replacement, even after acknowledging they had a warranty card on file for me.

To show the comparison, I bought a Glock 19 for my wife and she was having a failure-to-feed issue even after its break-in period. 10 minutes on the phone with their customer service and I had an RFA number and a guarantee from them to overnight a new gun to her.

Not sure of the MD laws anymore, but I always buy my ammo from this place. Great prices and you can buy in bulk to save money.

cheaperthandirt.com

Blog Entries

What are the thoughts on Taurus?

Or High Point?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    What are the thoughts on Taurus?

Or High Point?
    My only experience with Taurus was with my father. He bought one about 10 years ago, ran about 2,000 round through it over a 3 year period and it was done. The barrel was basically unthreaded at that point, the firing pin broke and the the external safety wouldn't turn to safe. Some of my friends love Taurus and their products though. I've heard good things about their 1911 series but I've yet to shoot it.

I've not shot or really heard anything on High Point.

I'm a big believer in the notion that you get what you pay for when it comes to firearms. Taurus is cheaper then Glock or Sig Sauer, but there is a realistic chance you'll be buying another weapon much sooner. Over the span of a decade or so, you'll actually spend less if your initial purchase is a high quality firearm.