Ray Lewis Praises Upshaw

Ray Lewis and Courtney Upshaw practiced together for the first time yesterday. There is no better judge of linebacker talent than Ray Lewis and he had some good things to say about Upshaw that doesn't make you just think he's blowing smoke.

Check out his quotes here: http://ravens24x7.com/columns/Purple...ourtney-Upshaw

What are your initial thoughts with him and Kruger trying to replace some of Suggs' lost production?

Blog Entries

Re: Ray Lewis Praises Upshaw

No one is going to replace Suggs but it's nice to see that there are some guys on this team who understand that this is their chance to get noticed. They are looking at this as an opportunity and are going for it. Kruger especially has a chance at a very nice contract next year if he excels.

Quote Originally Posted by Goob24x7 View Post
    What are your initial thoughts with him and Kruger trying to replace some of Suggs' lost production?
    Glad you put it in these terms.

No one player will replaces Suggs. If "Moneyball" taught me anything is that you're replacing the stats, not the player.

Still, relying on a rookie and a relatively untested player in Kruger is pretty daunting. It's going to come down to game situation, IMO. Meaning, which of the two will be in the game at the right time to make the play.

Blog Entries

Upshaw definitely has a high ceiling.

Kruger, IMO, is the most enigmatic player this pre-season/season. Here is a guy who was a traditional "hands in the dirt" DE in college and was thought/scouted to be more of a run-stopping DE than a pass rusher, displayed a ton of pass rushing ability in limited reps last season, and is now considered to be more of a pass rusher than a run-stopper or all around linebacker. In fact, some are even questioning whether or not he can even be effective as a run stopper...yet he was (is) in line to replace Jarrett Johnson's position of the "Sam" linebacker, which was more or less an edge-setting-run-stuffing OLB.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Glad you put it in these terms.

No one player will replaces Suggs. If "Moneyball" taught me anything is that you're replacing the stats, not the player.

Still, relying on a rookie and a relatively untested player in Kruger is pretty daunting. It's going to come down to game situation, IMO. Meaning, which of the two will be in the game at the right time to make the play.
    Good Movie, but i don't know if that counts in Football. Stats are damn near everything in Baseball. Stats are only half the story in Football.

Can they replace Suggs in Run Support? We dont really have a stat to show just how good Suggs is.. He is the best in football at playing the run for his position.

I am one of the few that believe we might see a drop off to start the season. I do believe that once Upshaw, and Kruger get acclimated. we will be back to our old level. I will be surprised if Upshaw and Kruger step in day one, and ball out.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

For what its worth, For the Record, i Expect double digit sack numbers from Kruger this season....

I could be wrong, but do you wanna doubt Paul Kruger? The answer to that question is the same as the answer to this question....Would you like to "Accidentally" Not exist anymore?
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb