Thread: OT - D-Day

OT - D-Day

You will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world. Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped, and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely....The free men of the world are marching together to victory. I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory. Good luck, and let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking." ~General Dwight D. Eisenhower giving the D-Day order on June 6, 1944.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Re: OT - D-Day

I've always wanted to go and visit the beaches at Normandy. My wife has been and said it is a very moving place. They left the bunkers and everything in tact.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Nice call out Dade!

I've always wanted to go as well. The Mrs and I are going to Germany in August and we're hitting many WW2 sites.

Well said, all.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I've always wanted to go and visit the beaches at Normandy. My wife has been and said it is a very moving place. They left the bunkers and everything in tact.
    They did leave some. Others were in big concrete piles. At least that's what it looked like 25 years ago when I was there. It's hard to imagine having to move forward on that beach with everything being thrown at you. Thank you Dade for the reminder of something that should never be forgotten.

Nice post and thread Dade.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

Nice post. My unit just sent a few people over there last week, wish I could have made it, just been too busy here. I'll get on the next one.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

I visited last year on the 4th of July. First I am a WWII historian and people today do not appreciate how close the world came to being quite different than it is today.

My great uncle came ashore via the Mulberry Bridge a few days after the invasion, he was a tank commander and would later fight in the Battle of the Bulge.

Regardless, much of the area has remnants of the Germans. Pointe Du Hoc is a great spot to see the impact as even bomb craters and barbed wire remain intact along with German bunkers.

Omaha Beach itself is fairly clear of anything save its monuments. (30 people a year are killed in France from un-exploded ordinance dropped in WWI & WWII so don't dig! Plus it is illegal on Omaha Beach, it is considered a mass grave by France.)

The cemetery though is heart wrenching and sad beyond belief. I choked back tears my whole visit. Even before you get to the graves, you must pass through the museum that leads to them, they tell the story of the war and that day.

Then, when you are there among the fallen, it staggers you in a way that is incomprehensible to even Arlington because, yes soldiers die, but all these men died right here, on this very beach. Thousands of headstones. Say what you like about the French, they keep immaculate care of that cemetery.

We have Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, The 4th of July, but to me D-Day always stands out in a way where the few stood up and changed the world for a better tomorrow that we all enjoy.

Rest in peace you brave men, your courage will never be forgotten.

Great post Captain!
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

How many people do you think even know what D-Day is?

I was in France but didn't make it down as the tour didn't go there in 1970.

I stood over the Arizona in Pearl Harbor. It was still leaking oil.

Captain Silver - that was an incredible post sir.

------------------------
    We went to the National D-Day Memorial a few years ago to unveil a plaque in honor of our historical unit. They were in the first wave at Omaha Beach on June 6, 1944. The memorial is located in Bedford VA, home of the 116th Infantry Regiment which suffered tremendous losses and still took their objective. The town suffered more losses per capita than any other city in the U.S. Everyone in Bedford knew a family member, or a freind or neighbor, that died that day. The 116th was a local National Guard unit. The soldiers were regular guys who lived and worked around town and answered their country's call.. In one day most of the local Volunteer Fire Dept was wiped out. Businesses lost their owners. Farmers didn't return to their fields. The memorial is a very moving place and there is a meaning behind everything built or growing there. Here are some images for your respectfull consideration.

http://www.google.com/search?q=natio...w=1280&bih=767
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Been there quite a few times, just a ferry trip over for me. If you ever go to France, you cannot go back without going see it, fantastic stuff. I had the pleasure of actually meeting an American WW2 vet who was visiting the site at the time, it was hard not to shed a tear or two when he was telling me some of his stories.
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 06-06-2012 at 07:51 PM.