Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    His torn achilles could have happened getting out of bed in the morning. Makes no difference what activity he was doing since an injury of that kind builds up over time.

Must be a slow sports day.

Blog Entries

Re: Was Suggs really playing basketball, after all?

I wonder if the New Orleans Saints told Jimmy Graham that he wasn't allowed to play basketball anymore, even though his basketball skills were the main translation to his quality football potential.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    His torn achilles could have happened getting out of bed in the morning. Makes no difference what activity he was doing since an injury of that kind builds up over time.

Must be a slow sports day.
    What do you mean when you say that this kind of injury builds over time? I figured it was some bad luck. Or is this something that could maybe have been prevented or detected to avoid it becoming a tear?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Typical ESPN Puke lol
    ESPN is kinda like that friend of the person your dating who always want to try and stir some shit up just cause their bored.

Like someone said, the team really does not care. They are smart enough to realize that whatever TSizzle does in the offseason works for him very well. If he were say out driving a motorcycle without a helmet, they might take exception to that, they wont however discourage these guys from staying in shape by taking advantage of the injury to save a few bucks. That would make them the Bengals lol
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    What do you mean when you say that this kind of injury builds over time? I figured it was some bad luck. Or is this something that could maybe have been prevented or detected to avoid it becoming a tear?

Repetitive motion type injury.

It's something you see similar to runners injuries. The same motion over time tears down the tendons and surrounding muscle until they finally give out.

Blog Entries

I don't have any idea of how much/many cortisone treatments he has had.
    Recommended for you or me is 3 in a lifetime (to an area), but professional athletes may get more.
    One side effect is a thinning of the surrounding muscle. Haven't really deeply read research on it, but when I first learned it, suddenly things like baseball pitchers torn muscles made more sense.

Not sure of the specific point HoustonRaven was making, but, I can add that cortisone shot damage builds over time.
    And never quite sure when the "rope is going to fray or break", just that there is an accumulation.
    There is also suggestion that cortisone alters the smoothness of the bone surface (fine grade sandpaper effect), and possibly leaves small crystals behind. But you can't totally prevent the possibility of a tear, all you can do is restrict things that cause undue stresses, like Alpine skiing or bull wrestling. Basketball has very similar movements to football, I can't see it banned.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Does not matter how he got hurt, get well soon Mr Suggs, there are QBs that need an a## whipping and running backs who need to be hit hard. Show everyone what you're made of and letys see you on the the field sooner then later.

It's easy to say that pickup basketball is harmless, unless you're the one on the hook for paying a $62 million contract! A freak injury can happen anytime, but I can see why if a team has that much money invested in a single player, they are rigid about what activities that player can partake in away from the field/facility. Someone making the league minimum?...not so much.

I'll still be rocking my Sizzle jersey this season as he recovers, and hopefully it is a quick one!

9. Re: Was Suggs really playing basketball, after all?

Who gives a shit.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Repetitive motion type injury.

It's something you see similar to runners injuries. The same motion over time tears down the tendons and surrounding muscle until they finally give out.
    Oh ok. I know nothing about the injury but from what I heard on the radio and someone has told me that its pretty tough to come back from right away. I can't help but to think when they said Nolan Reimold of the Orioles may be done for his career but he came back after this same injury.

I guess time will tell. Hopefully Suggs can get himself right before long.

Blog Entries

Honestly, I care more about Suggs desire to play this season than I do what he was doing when he got hurt. I'll be beyond blown if he misses half of this season, still comes back to soon, injures it worse and puts next season in jeopardy. I really hope the Ravens shut him down and leave him there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I've never quite figured out why playing basketball is considered a dumb way to stay in shape compared to some of the other bizarre training routines (like throwing around tractor tires).
    To me a non story. it is a way tostay in shape. A certain SS who played a whole lot of games in a row played a lot of basketball. He even has a gym in his house. It happens, nothing to complain about IMO.