Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Players refuse to end Pro Bowl, so it will be played in 2013

Heaven forbid 100 guys don't get their free trip to Hawaii every year, and a few interviews on TV to promote themselves.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...layed-in-2013/

The Pro Bowl will be played in 2013
    Posted by Josh Alper on May 30, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
    Pro Bowl Football AP

The Pro Bowl isn’t dead yet.

Despite talk of suspending the game after this year’s poorly played contest, the NFL announced Wednesday that there will be a Pro Bowl in 2013. The game will be played in Hawaii once again, ending speculation that it would be played at the Superdome the week before the Super Bowl. The decision came after negotiations between the league and the NFL Players Association about the future of the game.

“The players have made it clear through the NFL Players Association that they would like the opportunity to continue to play the Pro Bowl in Hawaii,” said NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson. “We will support the players on this initiative to improve the Pro Bowl. We have had many discussions with the players in recent years about the Pro Bowl and they recognize that the quality of the game has not been up to NFL standards. We look forward to working with the players toward the goal of improving the competitiveness of this season’s game.”

Blog Entries

Re: Players refuse to end Pro Bowl, so it will be played in 2013

And I still won't watch it. Sorry, NFL players get enough free rides in life. I don't need to see them and their entire families enjoy Hawaii and then dog it on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    And I still won't watch it. Sorry, NFL players get enough free rides in life. I don't need to see them and their entire families enjoy Hawaii and then dog it on the field.
    But it is an important tradition and an essential part of what makes the NFL the greatest professional sports league in the world!

Blog Entries

In sales you try your best to make President's Club every year. So along with the $ you get for making your number, the company foots a sweet trip for you and your spouse/family and everything is top notch.

This is the same kind of thing. But since there is a game played, I think they better at least attempt to make plays or no one will watch. I'm not sure who watches it now...

Anderson offered no suggestions about how they hope to improve the competitiveness of the game, which still drew a strong television rating in spite of being fairly unwatchable

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Anderson offered no suggestions about how they hope to improve the competitiveness of the game...
    They should just slap on flags and play the game as Goodell would like it to be anyway.

Greedell wanted it to be a part of "Super Bowl" week, and that made what was already a bit of a joke game into a travesty.

Back in Hawaii where it belongs, and after the Super Bowl. It'll still be a joke, but at least the tradition remains.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Heaven forbid 100 guys don't get their free trip to Hawaii every year, and a few interviews on TV to promote themselves.
    did you ever think that maybe the players just enjoy taking their families to hawaii for the week after another brutal season and being around their peers in a noncompetitive environment? imagine how cool it would be for the kids.

heaven forbid...lol. nobody is forcing you to watch it.

Blog Entries

yeah I remember hearing that Seau used to play with his kids in the surf. Of course he did that in San Diego too but not the same as Hawaii. It's a perk for them and apparently enough people still watch the game to make the league some money

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Greedell wanted it to be a part of "Super Bowl" week, and that made what was already a bit of a joke game into a travesty.

Back in Hawaii where it belongs, and after the Super Bowl. It'll still be a joke, but at least the tradition remains.
    THIS.
    End thread.lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post

"And after the Super Bowl" is the key element in that statement. I was never able to understand placing the Pro Bowl before the SB. All that did was to ensure that many of the players that really deserved to go to Hawaii (the ones playing in the Super Bowl), and obviously unable to risk injury in a meaningless game, were penalized. The other effect of that timing was that players who should not have been in the Pro Bowl were there. The game was not quite so much of a joke before the timing change. I hated it when it was announced and I hate it now.

Bring back the skills competition if it's going to stay

Who can throw a ball further, Flacco, Cutler or Stafford?
    I'd be interested in that sort of thing and it would be fun for fans and for the players

There are drills for the other players too

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    “The players have made it clear through the NFL Players Association that they would like the opportunity to continue to play the Pro Bowl in Hawaii,” said NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson.
    They never really "played" the Pro Bowl in the first place. I have more fun watching an electric football game, what a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    Bring back the skills competition if it's going to stay
    :word
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis