Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Gay Thread cont.

not sure why the other one was shut down. Nothing worse than typing a response and submitting to "Thread Locked". I didn't see any name calling...not that we aren't all adults here but I digress. Alas...I remember the wild west days of the political forum where words were free and liberty was cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Speaking as a bisexual male, it's sad to read some of the perspectives in this thread that still portray homosexuality as a pathology to be treated rather than a valid part of an individual's identity. I honestly hope some day that societies as a whole are able to move beyond this binary representation that does way more harm than good.
    It's changing here in the states...slowly but is changing. The reaction to Obama's statement is very telling as to what this country believes. A couple years ago, you would have seen a stronger reaction against Obama. It would have been couched as a "war on marriage" and a "tearing of the social fabric" blah blah blah but really the only thing the conservatives are trying to stick to the wall here is that was some type of "political play" on Obama's part. There is a big difference in "war on marriage" and "political play". It speaks volumes on the increasing comfort that moderate America feels on gay relationships. The most ironic part of the whole "political play" talking point is that the connies then turn around and say how it will negatively affect Obama. How does that work????

That being said, there will always be the extreme side of the argument that see the devil's work in homosexuality and caste it as a pathology or a choice.

Blog Entries

Re: The Gay Thread cont.

It seems to me that the reason why what the POTUS said isn't "blowing people's minds" is because a lot of Americans just don't really care anymore.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    It seems to me that the reason why what the POTUS said isn't "blowing people's minds" is because a lot of Americans just don't really care anymore.
    Over 70% of college aged folks support gay marriage. This number will only increase over time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    Over 70% of college aged folks support gay marriage. This number will only increase over time.
    "College aged folks" isn't a massive portion of the population.

My point is that all of the folks who were all up in arms about homosexuality 10 or 20 years ago have just become apathetic about the whole thing.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    "College aged folks" isn't a massive portion of the population.

My point is that all of the folks who were all up in arms about homosexuality 10 or 20 years ago have just become apathetic about the whole thing.
    Its not a massive amount but it is still a significant amount but more importantly, you can see the evolution of where thinking is going. In a decade, gay people will be getting married in churches regularly.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Its not a massive amount but it is still a significant amount but more importantly, you can see the evolution of where thinking is going. In a decade, gay people will be getting married regularly.

Fixed it for you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    I'm glad you did because the government will never force a church to marry gay couples. It'll never happen. If they choose to thats their prerogative.

There is also an increasing number of non-traditional churches as well. If and when Gay Marriage is legal, I would hope that a "business" would be born for non-traditional churches to perform such services. I'm sure many churches would still cringe at the thought, and, IMO, that is ENTIRELY within their rights.

For the record, I don't think there are very many people who think gay couples shouldn't be allowed to share health insurance, file taxes as "married" or have power of attourney and other such legal benefits. I think almost all of the pushback is the desire to use the word marriage, and potentially the "attmepts" to strongarm unwilling churches into the practice.

I think the true evolution and completeion of this discussion should lead the government to insert the word civil union in place of marriage in all documents, and return that word to the religious institutions. thus, they could reinvent the idea from a legal perspective with little to no backlash from those clutching their bibles. Win/Win. I see no harm in this compromise to anyone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    There is also an increasing number of non-traditional churches as well. If and when Gay Marriage is legal, I would hope that a "business" would be born for non-traditional churches to perform such services. I'm sure many churches would still cringe at the thought, and, IMO, that is ENTIRELY within their rights.

For the record, I don't think there are very many people who think gay couples shouldn't be allowed to share health insurance, file taxes as "married" or have power of attourney and other such legal benefits. I think almost all of the pushback is the desire to use the word marriage, and potentially the "attmepts" to strongarm unwilling churches into the practice.

I think the true evolution and completeion of this discussion should lead the government to insert the word civil union in place of marriage in all documents, and return that word to the religious institutions. thus, they could reinvent the idea from a legal perspective with little to no backlash from those clutching their bibles. Win/Win. I see no harm in this compromise to anyone.
    I agree 100% with this.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    Churches will marry gay people in a decade without problems because society as a whole will no longer have a problem with it. Churches are the canary in the coal mine when it comes to the morality of the general society. With a younger generation coming into adulthood not carrying the bigotry of the preceding generation, even churches will change or else they will become obsolete .

Churches will marry gay people in a decade without problems because society as a whole will no longer have a problem with it. Churches are the canary in the coal mine when it comes to the morality of the general society. With a younger generation coming into adulthood not carrying the bigotry of the preceding generation, even churches will change or else they will become obsolete .

It would be my contention that churches will become obsolete within a few generations pretty much no matter what they do. I think religion in the near future will be a television/internet thing to the minority still interested in it. Church, and religion in general is far less important to those under roughly 40 years of age then those above that age.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    It would be my contention that churches will become obsolete within a few generations pretty much no matter what they do. I think religion in the near future will be a television/internet thing to the minority still interested in it. Church, and religion in general is far less important to those under roughly 40 years of age then those above that age.
    So you have some stats to back that up, or are you just guessing based on the people you hang around?
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock