Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Bye Bye Blackbirds

I said awhile ago this team would not make it long in this town.

http://www.examiner.com/a-868238~Blackbirds__AIFA_cut_ties.html

The Baltimore Blackbirds, the city’s American Indoor Football Association team, have been kicked out of the league, according to the league’s owner, John Morris.

Morris said the first-year franchise was expelled from the league because of breach of contract, but John Wolfe, the Blackbirds vice president said the team decided to leave to pursue an opportunity to compete in another league....
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Re: Bye Bye Blackbirds

The AIFA must have seen the Civic Center.

"Morris said the first-year franchise was expelled from the league because of breach of contract, but John Wolfe, the Blackbirds vice president said the team decided to leave to pursue an opportunity to compete in another league...."

The only other league this city would support is the AFL. That would be about it.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

So freaking predictable. What a bunch of liars.

Get a REAL arena league team in here and we'll support it. The Blackbirds were a joke from the very start.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePill View Post

Get a REAL arena league team in here and we'll support it. The Blackbirds were a joke from the very start.
    Arena football is what it is, but how do you get thrown out of a rinky dink league like that.
    With a new ( Larger) Arena and an owner willing to put up the money the Arena Football League would almost certainly put a team here. We must be the largest market in the country without a real indoor winter sport. ( Sorry Blast) It will be interesting to see what kind of arena the city is planning. After seeing what was actually built when the Civic Center was finished.
    I'm thinking these city planning mensa's will be going with Adobe Mud Brick.
    :insane:

Dont lose any sleep over this one boys. Nobody you know goes to these type of games anyway.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    Dont lose any sleep over this one boys. Nobody you know goes to these type of games anyway.
    Sports Steve and 52RAYVENS were big fans of the Blackbirds. They won't be happy.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Sports Steve and 52RAYVENS were big fans of the Blackbirds. They won't be happy.
    Id be surprised if they really cared. I'm sure those guys went because they are football celebrites than fans of a team that just came into town.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

unless this league gets a contract w/ a major network they will struggle to survice. The AFL would be long gone w/ out NBC.

FM

The AFL left NBC after ESPN became a investment partner in Arena Football this year. AFL games are mostly shown on ESPN or ESPN2 with the Arenabowl on ABC.
    Last edited by Nightman; 08-07-2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Content added

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePill View Post

First, we need a REAL arena for a team to play in. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Arena football is what it is, but how do you get thrown out of a rinky dink league like that.
    With a new ( Larger) Arena and an owner willing to put up the money the Arena Football League would almost certainly put a team here. We must be the largest market in the country without a real indoor winter sport. ( Sorry Blast) It will be interesting to see what kind of arena the city is planning. After seeing what was actually built when the Civic Center was finished.
    I'm thinking these city planning mensa's will be going with Adobe Mud Brick.
    :insane:
    In fairness, the Civic Center was built so long ago that I doubt many of those who planned it are even still alive. That said, based on what I've heard the MSA is not planning on something that will be much of an upgrade. It sounds like they are only going to build about a 15,000 seat facility. That's fine for the Blast and Sesame Street on Ice, but if they want to host real events (major concert tours, March Madness Regionals, ACC Tournament, AFL) then they had better have something that seats at least 18,000........otherwise there is almost no point in spending the money and we should just keep the dump we have. Then spend the arena money on building a new track to replace Pimlico before we lose the Preakness.