Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: The Academy Award goes to Jamal Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Many smell money and want their share
    That is all it is a big money grab, all these former players are just seeing dollar signs. Many of them are broke and it isn't costing them a penny, so why not!

They are hoping the NFL just settles and they get a new Benz in the driveway.

If I hear sensitivity to light, memory loss or lack of sleep one more time I am going to throw up. They all got the talking points and every one is saying the same exact thing right out of the "symptoms of a concussion" playbook.

Was this the clip you saw?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7536645

If so, it's an older one. But still very relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Was this the clip you saw?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7536645

If so, it's an older one. But still very relevant.

Video won't load but I would guess yes.

I only watched about a minute afterwards, and had to turn it off when Lomas Brown claimed that he has social anxiety and has fear of large crowds because of all the trauma he has suffered. It should be noted that the host could be heard laughing in the background as he said this, true story.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Video won't load but I would guess yes.

I only watched about a minute afterwards, and had to turn it off when Lomas Brown claimed that he has social anxiety and has fear of large crowds because of all the trauma he has suffered. It should be noted that the host could be heard laughing in the background as he said this, true story.
    Yeah, I think it's the same.

Lewis should be ashamed. Awful, opportunistic gesture on his part and it cheapens the debate of a serious issue that does effect many ex-players.

Blog Entries

... They ALL want a piece of that lawsuit pie! Free money to replace the money you have blown post retirement!!
    You are so right! Turn on TV and see the ads for lawyers today "Have you been injured? You may be entitled to a large settlement!" They goad people into suing because they know there's no negative impact on them if they lose...which they rarely do because companies would rather settle than go to court in a multi-million dollar lawsuit. Every football player knows there is a risk of injury, but they put that aside for (IMO) two reasons : (1) they feel they're young and indestructible (2) the money is so BIG. "RISK / REWARD" is part of life, so why should they be immune to it? ... Bc

Re: What do we think of Florio's article?

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    I am cynical about linking concussions to suicide. I think you would have to look at the rate by which other athletes who suffer similar head trauma commit suicide. You rarely hear about hockey players and or boxers committing suicide.
    Boxing:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...de-in-a-year/1

Hockey players get concussions, but they aren't subjected to all of the non-concussive hits that football players absorb. Those repeated hits, in some cases a thousand or more per year, are what appear to be causing a lot of the damage.

Maybe one day John Grisham will write a book on all this :)

He's a great man for entertaining stories about lawyers and lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Boxing:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...de-in-a-year/1

Hockey players get concussions, but they aren't subjected to all of the non-concussive hits that football players absorb. Those repeated hits, in some cases a thousand or more per year, are what appear to be causing a lot of the damage.
    The NHL also went with an anti-concussion lining to all helmets, something the NFLPA has been fighting for a few years.

Eli Manning and DeSean Jackson are the only two players I am aware of that are wearing them on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The NHL also went with an anti-concussion lining to all helmets, something the NFLPA has been fighting for a few years.

Eli Manning and DeSean Jackson are the only two players I am aware of that are wearing them on their own.
    I heard a doctor talking about this very subject, and he explained that it doesn't matter what you do to the helmet it won't help with concussions. He said the modern helmet(and every one before it) is designed to prevent skull fractures and the like, and there is nothing you can do to stop the brain from oscillating inside the skull which is what happens with a concussion.

You can have all the padding, all the technology you want inside the helmet but the impact from a hit and the brain jarring itself inside the skull just can't be prevented. Obviously a better helmet couldn't hurt but it does very little to help it just isn't possible with the nature of the injury.

He explained it much better than I could if that doesn't make sense.

Blog Entries

I posted some stuff about the newer equipment that is becoming more and more available to players and there are a fair amount of programs that are making these types of helmets mandatory uniform items for their programs because of the improved safety features.

Here is an article from Virginia Tech on it...
    http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/articles/20...etratings.html

The information is based on a new evaluation methodology that incorporated eight years of data and analysis, quantifying head impact exposure and risk of concussion. The testing data showed that the overall best helmet currently available to the public is the Riddell Revolution Speed, which earned the only "5-star" rating. The next category includes five very good performing helmets that were all given a "4-star" rating: Schutt ION 4D, Schutt DNA Pro+, Xenith X1, Riddell Revolution, and Riddell Revolution IQ, according to Stefan Duma who directed the project.
    Here is the current best rated football helmet available:

Seems to me that if the NFL is serious about concussions then they will make these helmets mandatory uniform items for every player.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I heard a doctor talking about this very subject, and he explained that it doesn't matter what you do to the helmet it won't help with concussions. He said the modern helmet(and every one before it) is designed to prevent skull fractures and the like, and there is nothing you can do to stop the brain from oscillating inside the skull which is what happens with a concussion.

You can have all the padding, all the technology you want inside the helmet but the impact from a hit and the brain jarring itself inside the skull just can't be prevented. Obviously a better helmet couldn't hurt but it does very little to help it just isn't possible with the nature of the injury.

He explained it much better than I could if that doesn't make sense.
    It makes sense. I've read the same thing too.

What I have read is that it wont eliminate concussions completely. Rather, it limits certain kinds of concussions because of its energy absorption properties. For example, that type of helmet may have helped Colt McCoy last year since his was a helmet-to-helmet hit, with not as much sudden lateral movement to the rear like we saw with Carson Palmer and his head bouncing off the turf a few years ago.

Blog Entries

Re: Concussions in Sports -- From PFT, ESPN, etc (Merged)

Inside look of the Revo speed:

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.