Thread: 2.83

Exclamation 2.83

I cannot remember the last time the Orioles team ERA was that low 25 games into any season. Perhaps 15 years ago. The 1969 Orioles (109-53) ended up with a 2.87 ERA (no DH back then) but, of course, that is 162 games worth. The Orioles lead the AL in pitching but it is still way too early to extrapolate. Nevertheless, it is still very surprising - if not shocking - when you consider how extremely awful their starting pitching has been for many years. Leading into the series in Fenway Park, ALL five of their starters are looking strong AND the bullpen is leading both leagues in ERA as well!

I have always been a believer that team ERA is the best 'barometer' for any ballclub - even more important than wins and losses. It goes without saying that you can never have enough of good pitching - especially in the AL East.

Re: 2.83

The AL East is brutal. And I am with you. I'm just as surprised at our pitching so far this year. Honestly it is just not something I am used to as a Oriole fan. But I am still excited and soaking it up while I can. Go O's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!