Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Could Jah Reid earn the starting RT spot?

Coming into the draft, Jah Reid was seen as the prototypical RT. He had the size, the arms and the prospective footwork, but lacked the athleticism for the left side. Last year, if it were not for the lock out, we could have seen even more of a push for Reid to start, because they really seemed to want that to happen.

Now that the Ravens have drafted two interior linemen, could the real competition be at RT? Michael Oher, in my opinion, should be closer to his rookie form by default, because they've stopped moving him around for now. He can actually focus on one position. However, Reid was a pretty good prospect himself. We've seen these type of guys go a round or two later than they should. He looked decent in, albeit, very limited action last year.

I think that we can all agree, that if the end product is the type of production Oher provided his rookie season, we will all be happy. However, will that be the end product and will it come from Reid or Oher?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: Could Jah Reid earn the starting RT spot?

I think it's important to note that Oher was a mid-1st round prospect and Reid wasn't anything close to that. Has Oher played up to that? He didn't last year, but that isn't neccessarily an indictment. Frankly, I think Oher is the better player, and I would be beyond astounded if the coaching staff decided to start Reid over Oher. So, I guess what I'm saying is, no, I don't think there's any realistic scenario where Reid beats out Oher for the RT spot.

I think the biggest thing with Oher is position continuity. They moved him around way too much and I think it derailed his progression as a player. Looking forward to seeing what he can do at RT with another year under his belt.

As for Jah, maybe LG. It will all depend on how K.O. does this training camp. We know they like to start vets or guys who have been on the team longer than the rooks, so it will be interesting to see. Either way, it really seems like the FO is high on Jah.

I honestly believe the preference is for Reid to become the RT and Oher to move back to the left. Fans don't want to hear it because we've seen so-so performances from him. But they know they need a long term answer on McKinnie's side, and they have made a sizable investment in Oher and Reid and now Osemele.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I honestly believe the preference is for Reid to become the RT and Oher to move back to the left. Fans don't want to hear it because we've seen so-so performances from him. But they know they need a long term answer on McKinnie's side, and they have made a sizable investment in Oher and Reid and now Osemele.
    It's also worth it to keep in mind that Oher is approaching free agency. I think he has two year's left on his contract. He may not be in the Ravens long term plans.

Blog Entries

I honestly believe the preference is for Reid to become the RT and Oher to move back to the left.
    I think you have hit plan B right on the head.
    If McKinnie hadn't become available, this was the fall-back plan and why they traded up in the 3rd round to be sure that they got Jah.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

You guys probably know more about Reid then I do, but the times that I have seen him play, I have to say that I have not been impressed. The Ravens seem to be high on him, so he must be showing them something in practice, but I haven't seen it in game action in either the preseason or regular season games. Oher has at least at times been impressive.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if McKinnie weren't even on the team this year. Anybody that follows his twitter account, knows that he hasn't been doing anything productive with the offseason (unless you consider hosting a "Welcome to the NFL" party for the rookies at a strip club in Miami productive). That can't be the type of thing that Harbs and co. like to hear about.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlacco View Post
    I wouldn't be totally shocked if McKinnie weren't even on the team this year. Anybody that follows his twitter account, knows that he hasn't been doing anything productive with the offseason (unless you consider hosting a "Welcome to the NFL" party for the rookies at a strip club in Miami productive). That can't be the type of thing that Harbs and co. like to hear about.
    I think McKinnie will be on the Ravens this year. They paid him his roster bonus already, and the Ravens don't have anyone who can play LT as well as he can. However, I think this is the last year he will be on the Ravens.

There is no way they're considering moving him back to the left. He has proven he can't handle the left side, and his arms haven't gotten any longer. I think Jah gets a shot at LT. He has the size for it.

Blog Entries

They'll give Jah the opportunity to beat out Oher at RT and potentially beat out McKinnie at LT. They should...competition makes everyone better and if Jah can beat out McKinnie, well that's a couple of mill they don't need to continue to pay McKinnie's lazy ass.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

There's certainly no rhyme or reason to the OL situation that I can figure out. The Ravens may have a plan, but I certainly don't know what it is. I think they are trying to figure it out themselves and hoping some of these guys step up.

Lots of guys swapping positions, and lots of huge, tall, lean and athletic guys, not a lot of fatties.

The only good thing that I can put my finger on is that even though we don't have a lot of AWESOME guys at any one position, we have flexibility and depth with a lot of serviceable guys...

???

Meh.