Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Suicide Discussion -- Dumped from Ravens24x7 Forum

I could not help, but wonder why is 'suicide' a bad thing?

Seau made a choice, and he owed no one that choice (not even to his children). We should respect that choice as we respect the man.

His sacrifice, in my opinion, isn't any different to those who make sacrifices in war or such. I am not equivalent this with military, but the point being that the choice has been made.

Rest assured, I said that with a heavy heart. Seau was among my favorite players. I took a great pleasure to say "JUNIOR SEAU" just to give me the adrenaline rush, but anymore...

EDIT: I intend not to upset any of you, and I acknowledge that my rationale does not lie along with the prevailing communitarian philosophy that is shared in our country.

Blog Entries

Re: OT Junior Seau

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post

Seau made a choice, and he owed no one that choice (not even to his children). We should respect that choice as we respect the man.

His sacrifice, in my opinion, isn't any different to those who make sacrifices in war or such. I am not equivalent this with military, but the point being that the choice has been made.

Rest assured, I said that with a heavy heart. Seau was among my favorite players. I took a great pleasure to say "JUNIOR SEAU" just to give me the adrenaline rush, but anymore...

EDIT: I intend not to upset any of you, and I acknowledge that my rationale does not lie along with the prevailing communitarian philosophy that is shared in our country.
    Long term (and final) solution to a short term problem. Typically made by people mentally unstable.

Had he had an incurable disease I think most here may agree with you. But in this case, your random thought, to me, is way off.

Blog Entries

this is the most retarded thing i have ever read on here. Equating suicide with the sacrifice that soldiers make??? You obviously havent seen the tape of his mother at the podium.

Ballhawk,

First, I thought I clarified that part by saying "I am not equivalent this with the military". Second, "... those who make sacrifices in war" does not necessary refer to soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Long term (and final) solution to a short term problem. Typically made by people mentally unstable.

Had he had an incurable disease I think most here may agree with you. But in this case, your random thought, to me, is way off.
    We can have a philosophical discourse on the topic, but I did note that my reasoning may not be in line with contemporary thinking. Basically, I just didn't think we should "judge" the choice(s) that other made. Sure, we can try to sympathize/understand the choices, but ultimately, it isn't our place to judge.

I don't want to go on with this debate as a man's life has expired.

(feel free to PM me if you want to discuss our philosophical differences, I will gladly respond)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    this (reply to Random Thoughts) is the most retarded thing i have ever read on here. Equating suicide with the sacrifice that soldiers make??? You obviously havent seen the tape of his mother at the podium.
    hawk, add me to your side. His was one of the most asinine posts I've seen in a long time. Suicide is really for cowards. Heard a clergyman say "God may give you 1,000 NOs before the YES you're looking for. You have to remain strong during the NO period to appreciate that YES." ... Bc

Suicide Discussion -- Dumped from Ravens24x7 Forum

If y'all wish to discuss the issue of suicide, please do so here .....

This is utter BS for so many reasons. I agree that it is one of the most uneducated things I've ever seen posted here.

A lot of people make bad choices. We need to respect their choices too? What about child molesters? Should we respect their choices too? What about people who go out to a bar with the sole purpose of getting hammered and driving back home? We need to respect their choices too? Is that how morally compromised we've become? Really?

Suicide for anyone is not victimless. It leaves scars on the people you live behind. To say that it was Junior's choic and his choice alone, that's so short-sighted that I don't even know where to start. It's a selfish, cowardly gesture. I will never respect such a decision.

Even worse, is that you indirectly compared it to a soldier giving his life. You refered to it as a "sacrifice". That's beyond stupid. A sacrifice is Sergeant Joe Blow getting his head shot off in Afghanistan in service of our country. A sacrifice is dying 6000 miles from home laying on enemy sand so that a few thousand people in your hometown can ever know you gave your life for your country. That's a sacrifice. Everything that Joe Blow has and ever will be goes to his fellow citizens....including the gutless Seau.

Junior Seau died in his million dollar mansion probably no more than a few hundred yards from the ocean. He did so by his own volition, not an enemy RPG. There is no comparison between the two.

Great football player. Probably one of the 25 best defensive players in the NFL's history. Let's not get carried away by implying that his cowardice in taking his own life was a sacrifice. The people who are sacrificing are the young kids who will go through so many important events in life without their father in attendance. For that reason alone, I have no respect for his decision.

Blog Entries

We can have a philosophical discourse on the topic, but I did note that my reasoning may not be in line with contemporary thinking. Basically, I just didn't think we should "judge" the choice(s) that other made. Sure, we can try to sympathize/understand the choices, but ultimately, it isn't our place to judge.

I don't want to go on with this debate as a man's life has expired.

(feel free to PM me if you want to discuss our philosophical differences, I will gladly respond)
    I'm good man, you have your opinion and I have mine.

You show me where a sane person has ended their life and we can start a PM discussion.

Blog Entries

I get where the OP is coming from regarding Seau's choice...

The problem with suicide is that it's entirely a selfish act because of what you leave behind. His family, kids, parents, siblings, friends, etc are the ones who have to deal with this.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I normally agree with the "selfless act" meme, but if this turns out to be concussions related, then it's just the opposite, IMO.

This particular form of depression (one that's brought upon by repeated head trauma, if that is indeed the reason Seau took his life) is doing hella damage to soldiers coming home from combat, athletes from many other sports, professional wrestlers, etc.

It's absolutely brutal the way it effects the brain, cognitive skills and reasoning and general well being.

I have known of successful suicides that were done as a means to stop the hurt and suffering that the person was causing their family and friends. Not sure if that can be lumped in with the "always selfish" load.
    Whatever the cause, Seau's decision to end his life was, indeed, his alone to make, whether one agrees and approves or not.
    The issue, ultimately, is between Seau and his god(s), not us.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"