Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Would Jacoby Jones Be a Good Fit With Ravens?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    I am not gloating. Just reminding that many on this board wanted him cut in August. The fact is that he is already the best return man the Ravens have had since Jermaine Lewis and he's proven to be a solid #3 receiver. Could he still mess up at a critical time? Sure...but it's not like Boldin hasn't dropped crucial passes in crunch time, or Rice hasn't fumbled in playoff games, or Flacco hasn't thrown a pick-6 in an AFC Championship game.
    :word

There was another thread from August that was almost comical in it's "I told you so" nature, even before anything had even happened!

As I said in that thread - perhaps, we should all just wait and see what happens before we decide whether signing Jones was a good or bad move.

So far, the results have been fantastic, but there's certainly still plenty of time for it to go south.

Whether that happens, remains to be seen........
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    There's a major diffence in expectations between what Jones was supposed to be in Houston and what he's supposed to be here.

Jones, in Houston, was supposed to be a star. He never lived up to that.

Here, he just needs to contribute as a 3rd WR and be a good KR.

So far, he's done that.

As far as pulling a "Housh or Evans", that can happen to any player (Boldin and Mason, included). After all, neither Housh or Evans were ever known for anything like that, but it happened to them.

Regardless, I would suggest that Jones as already had a bigger impact than either of them did.

But, if Jones drops a pass in a huge setting, after having a great season, does that totally wipe away everything else he did? Seriously? All the other contributions he made along the way - that helped them get there - mean nothing?

Sorry, I don't buy that.

Perhaps, it will for those who don't want to be proven wrong because they didn't like the signing in the beginning, because it will give them something to make them feel better and be able to point to when saying "I told you so", but, sorry, I think that's ridiculous.
    Unfortunately, some people here want to be able to say "I told you" so more than see the team and players succeed.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I have no problem saying i was wrong about him. Hes been a great addition. I did do my own thread giving him a formal apology, in my defense. Hes been about as sure handed as you can ask for. his role is somewhat limited with being 3rd and splitting with Doss but im in favor of more 3 or even 4 wr sets because of his play but that may also be asking for too much from him. Looking forward to how he handles himself in Pitt sunday.
    -JAB

I'll throw my hat in the ring for people who were wrong, and are GLAD to be wrong. Doesn't mean JJ won't screw up somewhere along the way, but it won't erase the contributions he's made thus far, which are already VERY impressive. He's been one of the best bang-for-buck FA acquisitions of the last few years.

Not only has he been a great special teams player, but he's been so good as a part-time offensive player that he's really making a case for more playing time. He's not going to climb above #3 on the depth chart, but when we go 3-wide with him and Smith outside and Boldin in the slot we really have a lot of passing-game talent on the field and we can still run the ball very effectively.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I'll throw my hat in the ring for people who were wrong, and are GLAD to be wrong. Doesn't mean JJ won't screw up somewhere along the way, but it won't erase the contributions he's made thus far, which are already VERY impressive. He's been one of the best bang-for-buck FA acquisitions of the last few years.

Not only has he been a great special teams player, but he's been so good as a part-time offensive player that he's really making a case for more playing time. He's not going to climb above #3 on the depth chart, but when we go 3-wide with him and Smith outside and Boldin in the slot we really have a lot of passing-game talent on the field and we can still run the ball very effectively.
    :word

Me too. I've even owned up to it and eaten some crow about this topic in other threads. Jacoby has been a major surprise and I didn't think he'd be able to contribute nearly as much as he has. I find it interesting that he is splitting time with Doss now, so maybe that is indicative that Doss is getting a lot better?

Regardless, Jacoby has been a big asset for special teams and has been a solid #3 receiver. Had it not been for a bogus OPI call, he would have won the game in Philly with a last minute TD grab.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

There's a major diffence in expectations between what Jones was supposed to be in Houston and what he's supposed to be here.

Jones, in Houston, was supposed to be a star. He never lived up to that.

Here, he just needs to contribute as a 3rd WR and be a good KR.

So far, he's done that.

As far as pulling a "Housh or Evans", that can happen to any player (Boldin and Mason, included). After all, neither Housh or Evans were ever known for anything like that, but it happened to them.

Regardless, I would suggest that Jones as already had a bigger impact than either of them did.

But, if Jones drops a pass in a huge setting, after having a great season, does that totally wipe away everything else he did? Seriously? All the other contributions he made along the way - that helped them get there - mean nothing?

Sorry, I don't buy that.

Perhaps, it will for those who don't want to be proven wrong because they didn't like the signing in the beginning, because it will give them something to make them feel better and be able to point to when saying "I told you so", but, sorry, I think that's ridiculous.
    Sorry but I am not one of those people. I've given Jones his props plenty of times this season. I even started a thread about it after he drew that big PI at the end of the NE game.

I'll gladly be wrong about Jones being a bad signing. I just keep my expectations for him at rock bottom because I know he's got an inconsistent track record. In my mind anything we get from him is extra.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Me too. I've even owned up to it and eaten some crow about this topic in other threads. Jacoby has been a major surprise and I didn't think he'd be able to contribute nearly as much as he has. I find it interesting that he is splitting time with Doss now, so maybe that is indicative that Doss is getting a lot better?
    Not that Doss isn't getting better - which I think he obviously is - but I think that's more indicative of Jones being such a weapon as a returner. Remember at the beginning of the year, Jones wasn't taking all Punts (Webb was taking the "fair catch" punts) and he wasn't doing KR as all (Deonte Thompson was). Now, he's taking all of them and doing well, so it may be that they are, at times, sort of saving him, knowing that he's such a weapon in the return game.

I will say this, though, while I love how he aggressively attacks the oncoming coverage teams, he does hold the ball a little too "recklessly" IMO. It's often held away from this body and in a spot where it could well be stripped away more easily. Maybe that's just a product of his height and longer arms, but there have been a couple of times where he's taken some hits (like he did on the reverse on Sunday) and I was concerned that the ball was going to come popping out.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 11-13-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Sorry but I am not one of those people. I've given Jones his props plenty of times this season. I even started a thread about it after he drew that big PI at the end of the NE game.
    Fair enough. To be clear, that part of my comments was meant as more of a general comment, and wasn't intented to be aimed at you - sorry, if it came off that way.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 11-13-2012 at 03:25 PM.

I will say this, though, while I love how he aggressively attacks the oncoming coverage teams, he does hold the ball a little too "recklessly" IMO. It's often held away from this body and in a spot where it could well be stripped away more easily. Maybe that's just a product of his height and longer arms, but there have been a couple of times where he's taken some hit (like he did on the reverse on Sunday) and I was concerned that the ball was going to come popping out.
    He also seems determined to set the ultimate NFL return record with a 110 yard TD. There were a couple of kicks where he stepped out of the end-zone on one, and dropped the ball on the other, that could he, he would have tried to return from the very back of the end-zone. Obviously, he felt (correctly) that he was on the verge of breaking a return, but that will come back to haunt him in the future. Although, I would much rather have Jones trying to return a deep kick then watching Tom Zibokowski try to return a deep kick. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Although, I would much rather have Jones trying to return a deep kick then watching Tom Zibokowski try to return any kick. Yikes.
    LOL........fixed it for ya! :)

LOL........fixed it for ya! :)
    lol...I was about to point that out too
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I'm going to gloat cause I can and have taken my fair share of criticism on this board. I loved the JJ signing and saw the potential deep threat he brings to the table. He is a difference maker on ST's, what we lacked in past years. I actually enjoy watching kicks again. He with Smith on the other side is a Safeties nightmare. I expect a big game this week from one of the two exploiting the Steelers injuries with a few deep balls or them having to play deep opening up intermediate routes for others. If they blitz, Joe will throw deep to intermediate passes to make them pay. We couldnt say that years before, but can now. "I feeel goood" James Brown