Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast

Would Jacoby Jones Be a Good Fit With Ravens?

He was released by Houston.

6'2- 212lbs

Great speed and size. Also is a returner. He average 10.2 yards a punt return. His best season was in 2010. He had 51 catches for 562 yards and 3 TD's.

I know the market is not high on him so im guessing the ravens can take a dip at him. He is an explosive runner and has track runner speed. It wouldnt hurt for the ravens to bring him in and see what he can do. Im sure we can get him at a bargin.

Blog Entries

Re: Would Jacoby Jones Be a Good Fit With Ravens?

I'd give him a look-see.

The only reason I would say no is because for his size he plays very small. He doesn't get off of press coverage well at all and I don't think he could mentally hang in the AFC North. However, his size/speed combination is very intriguing.

The other thing is what kind of a contract is he going to be looking for? The Ravens don't have much cap room at all unless they get Rice's and Flacco's deal (mainly Rice's) taken care of soon. I think a team like Miami or Carolina may be a better fit for him and have the money to give him a better deal than what the Ravens would do.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'd give him a look-see.

The only reason I would say no is because for his size he plays very small. He doesn't get off of press coverage well at all and I don't think he could mentally hang in the AFC North. However, his size/speed combination is very intriguing.

The other thing is what kind of a contract is he going to be looking for? The Ravens don't have much cap room at all unless they get Rice's and Flacco's deal (mainly Rice's) taken care of soon. I think a team like Miami or Carolina may be a better fit for him and have the money to give him a better deal than what the Ravens would do.

He would definetly be our return guy if he did get signed. I can see the panthers making a move on him. Carolina would be a nice fit for him. That offense would only get more expolosive if he is on the team. They would probably use him as a slot WR. Good fit though.

His agent has all but said he's not looking to be a roll player on a team.

I'd take a look-see as well, but I don't think he's interested in anything the Ravens can or would offer him.

And DeCosta is on record saying he's happy with our WR corps as it stands today.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 05-02-2012 at 11:37 AM.

not happening, were not signing anymore receivers. We have bigger contracts to worry about as well

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

I'd take a look-see as well, but I don't think he's interested in anything the Ravens can or would offer him.
    And DeCosta is on record saying he's happy with our WR corps as it stands today.
    You actually beleive every word out of a FO's mouth, every GM is looking to upgrade their team all the time. Ozzie even said after the draft alot of teams will be
    Releasing players due to cap reasons and what they drafted. If they feel Jones can help with punts, the Ravens will look at him. Right now the Ravens have NO punt returner or kickoff returner with any experience.

I don't think this happens. As Wicked said earlier, Jones plays very small for his size and has never really been a truly effective NFL WR. I don't like his game at all and I don't think he'd fit in with us. He's not worth what he'll ask for, and bringing him in would retard the growth of the guys we have.

This team needs to build at the WR position through the draft. Obviously they were not in position this past draft to get any WRs they felt really good about except for Streeter, who will be a developmental project. There's always next year, at which time WR will be a more critical need unless someone emerges.

I think the team is looking at Doss to be a contributor as the #3 WR this year--although I have to admit I'm not comfortable with that at all I also am not excited about the idea of bringing in yet another scrap heap veteran.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    You actually beleive every word out of a FO's mouth, every GM is looking to upgrade their team all the time. Ozzie even said after the draft alot of teams will be
    Releasing players due to cap reasons and what they drafted. If they feel Jones can help with punts, the Ravens will look at him. Right now the Ravens have NO punt returner or kickoff returner with any experience.
    Webb?

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    I just don't think a lot of teams are terribly concerned about having experience at the returner positions anymore. They want guys who can reliably catch and secure the football, but outside of that, I don't think they're averse to letting rookies handle return duties. Several of the most productive returners in the league last year were rookies (Randall Cobb, Clyde Gates, Patrick Peterson, Jeremy Kerley, etc.) A number more were second-year players. They weren't always high picks, either.

Bottom line, I don't think Jones' punt return value helps him just because he's done it a lot. He wasn't very good at it last year, anyway. I feel perfectly comfortable with a rookie or other young player taking over the role as long as they bring some explosion and the coaches are confident they can hang onto the ball. I still submit Asa Jackson is immediately this team's leading candidate at the return positions. Kid was very explosive at punt returner in his college career--14 yards per return.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I don't think he's going to have much of a choice. He's squandered numerous opportunties to become a starter at WR...including this past year.

His future is going to be as a return man and 3rd or 4th WR...whether he wants to accept that or not.

FYI, this is the guy that muffed the punt on the five yard line against us. He is also known for having bad hands.

No thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    FYI, this is the guy that muffed the punt on the five yard line against us. He is also known for having bad hands.

No thanks.
    He's also the guy that caught a deep TD pass over top of Ed Reed.

Again, he's not a bad player, but he doesn't fit the profile of a Ravens player.